Household appliances sometimes fail at the most unexpected moment, and the washing machine is no exception. Imagine: you loaded things into the drum, set the desired program and returned to household chores, and after a while you found an unpleasant surprise in the bathroom in the form of abundant foam around your “assistant”. What to do if foam comes out of the washing machine, we will figure it out in this article.
- First unplug the machine. If this is not done, then a short circuit will occur, and the washing machine will have to be repaired or even sent to a landfill.
- Collect foam from the machine and from the floor around it.
- Get rid of the water in the drum. This can be done using the appropriate program, but if there is none, then manually — open the drain hatch at the bottom of the front panel and drain the water from the drum into the basin.
- Take out the laundry.
- Use your hands to remove the foam that has accumulated inside. Try to do this as carefully as possible.
- Start the rinse program. If necessary, repeat the cycle twice or thrice until you are sure that all the foam is gone.
Now let’s look at the causes of the problem.
Causes not related to the breakdown of the machine
- The first obvious option is powder. Examine the packaging — you may have used a hand wash by mistake. It is absolutely impossible to do this: such powders foam much more strongly and are not suitable for machine washing.
- Another option is that you put in too much. Even if your clothes are very dirty, remember to follow the instructions and dosages indicated on the pack.
- You used a low-quality powder, manufactured with violations of technologies: in its production, less antifoams were used than required. Or maybe you got a fake. Just don’t use this remedy in the future.
- Another possible reason is that you have washed things that “help” foaming. These include light down jackets or lace tulle. Due to their structure, they additionally “beat” the foam during washing. In this case, use half as much powder as usual.
- Have you recently moved? Then it is possible that the quality of the water has changed. Keep in mind that softer water produces better foam. This means that the dosage of the powder should be reduced.
Malfunctions due to which foam comes out of the machine
If the above reasons are not your case, you should pay attention to the device itself.
Damaged rubber seal (manhole cuff)
This part is responsible for sealing the hatch and protects against leaks. The cuff may be damaged by a foreign object, such as a coin, or deteriorate naturally during prolonged use. Rubber can be affected by mold if not properly cared for. If you see that the foam has leaked through the top of the hatch or from under the machine, then the problem is in the seal — replace it.
Drain system problem
A common cause of water and foam on the floor during washing. Inspect the drain filter and clean it if you see that it is clogged. If not, check the fastenings of all hoses, the pump and the drain pipe. Your task is to determine where the water is flowing from. Tighten loose clamps and replace damaged parts.
How to prevent such a situation?
- use high-quality automatic powders;
- do not use a hand wash if you want to machine wash;
- do not pour a lot of powder, especially if you wash light things;
- monitor the quality of your water, install a filter and determine the optimal dose of powder;
- check the condition of the parts of the drain system and the rubber cuff of the hatch.
Follow these simple rules, and your washing machine will not let you down.