If you are one of those very rare economic men in our time, then you do not need to be told how to clean the boiler from scale at home, you already know it! This article is for those who until now have not been too puzzled by such problems, but right now they decided to save money on calling a specialist.
But, better late than never! Therefore, we highly approve of your zeal and will describe this simple process in as much detail as possible especially for you.
How to understand that the boiler needs cleaning?
First, you should know that preventive cleaning of the water heater should be carried out at least once a year. If you clean it every six months, then it’s even better for the device! And if he is better, then your pocket, you know. After all, buying a new heating element or other parts, as well as paying for the work of a replacement specialist, is very expensive.
Secondly, there are various methods designed to improve the quality of water and soften it, with the aim that the boiler does not have to be cleaned so often. These include:
- Filters for mechanical cleaning at the inlet
- Ion or sorption filters
- Magnetic water converters
- Cation additives and other regents
But, even these products do not purify water by 100%, and it will still be necessary to clean mechanically. True, less often.
But, if you simply didn’t know this and the boiler has been in operation for a long time, then you probably began to notice such signs that directly indicate that an urgent “time” has come:
- You have noticed that electricity consumption has increased markedly. Indeed, a layer of scale, only 1 mm increases light consumption by 10%, but an annual layer of 10 mm, by all 70%!
- You began to notice that the tank heats up very slowly. This is also due to the fact that a large “fur coat” has formed on the shade, which greatly complicates heat transfer. In addition, the boiler in this case works much more intensively than necessary, and thereby shortens its operational resource.
- Some noises and hissing are heard from the boiler.
- If there is a magnesium anode there, and it looks much thinner, then you need to clean it immediately.
See also - How to repair the boiler yourself?
A few words about magnesium anodes
For some reason, many people believe that the magnesium anode is just a panacea. Say, if you put it, then cleaning the boiler with your own hands is no longer required. Such opinions can often be heard not only from the local Kulibins, but even from plumbers!
But, this opinion is very far from the truth. The magnesium anode is designed to protect the tank from corrosion! And converts hard salt deposits into soft ones. That is, it will simply be easier for you to clean them. But they will be formed, in any case.
How to disassemble and remove the boiler
It all depends on where you have it. If in the bathroom and its valves are located above the bath bowl itself, then it is not necessary to remove it. Pull out only the heating element of the water heater. If in the toilet above the tank or the kitchen, then you need to remove it.
Therefore, we will describe the process in full, including the withdrawal:
- Drain hot water through the faucet
- Disconnecting the device from the network
- Turn off the cold water supply
- A tube is unscrewed in the hot water outlet, and a flexible hose is attached to this place. The end of it must be lowered into a bath, bucket or toilet, depending on the location of the boiler.
- Unscrew the cold water pipe. The drain will take about half an hour.
- We remove the decorative cap, for which the screws are first unscrewed, and then the indicator terminals.
- We remove the grounding and wires. Here we can advise you to take a picture of them first, so that later, when collecting, you won’t confuse anything, and you can check the starting position.
- Cover the tub with a large piece of cloth.
- Now, fully prepared for cleaning the tank — remove and take it to the bath, previously covered. This will protect it from scratches and chips. You need to put it up with cranes.
- Loosen the clamp and remove the thermostat. If you notice that the rubber seals are covered with a layer of scale, and because of this it does not come off, you need to gently tap on them.
How and how to clean the heater from scale
When you pull it out, you will be very surprised. After such manipulation, many are impressed and forever refuse to drink water from the tap.
The heating element is so shaggy and plastered over, and dirty particles of plaque, rusty in color, fall out of the tank.
But, fortunately, the heating element, unlike the kidneys, is quite easy to clean. If the deposits on it are very dense, you can crush them with pliers and knock them down completely. The rest can be scraped off with a knife.
And very small residues — some kind of acid. Or a solution of citric or acetic acid, diluted with water. Soak the heating element for a day or less, and then rinse very well. If you leave acid on the metal, it will provoke the development of violent corrosion.
Proportions: 2 bags of lemon per 2 liters of water. That is, it is a fairly strong solution comes out.
By the way, do not forget, on the sly, to change the magnesium anode. If you see that it has greatly decreased in size, then it’s time.
How to clean a dry heating element
Dry heating element is not metal or copper, but simply ceramic. His cleaning is no different from the usual. Just be careful. Naturally, you should not knock on it with pliers.
How to wash the tank?
The tank is also very dirty. Shine a flashlight. If you see noticeable layers of scale, mucus and other nonsense, then you won’t be able to get by with the usual rinsing from the hose.
There are various cleaning products for cleaning tanks on sale, it is best to use them. Can be washed with citric acid, but the concentration should be higher. Therefore, most likely, the finished product will be cheaper.
It is not worth cleaning it mechanically, since the walls of the tank are very susceptible to scratching and the slightest damage will lead to the development of rust. And the water, over time, will flow rusty …
Well, now you know how to clean the water heater from scale. And you can assume that you have earned as much as a plumber takes for such a service. After all, saving is the same as earning!