We closed the hatch door, pressed “Start”, and instead of taking water, the display showed error F16. What to do? What does error F16 (E16) mean in a Bosch washing machine? How to fix the problem yourself? You will find answers to all these questions in this article.
Error code F16 on the display of the Bosh washing machine informs that the hatch of the washing machine is not closed or that something is preventing it from closing. Error F16 can be caused by a malfunction or malfunction in the control system of the washing machine, for example, a breakdown of the locking device, hatch lock module or control module. In most cases, such an error indicates precisely the presence of malfunctions in one of the systems of the washing machine. To identify primary faults, you can make a primary diagnosis, which does not require professional knowledge.
A similar problem on washing machines without a display will be indicated by a flashing light bulb — an indicator of revolutions at 1000 or 800.
What caused the malfunction
- First of all, you need to check whether the hatch door is really closed. Regroup the laundry, check if there is anything obstructing the closing of the door and then try to push the loading door tighter until you hear a clicking sound when closing;
- check the lock hole — perhaps there is a blockage or foreign objects in it. Garbage can be removed with an ordinary toothpick, dirt is cleaned with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol or vodka;
- check the side hinges holding the loading hatch — due to physical impact, they may be damaged or skewed;
- the problem may be caused by the displacement of the locking tongue — pay attention to whether it gets into the lock when the door is closed;
- the cause of the problem may be a failure in the control module — in this case, you will need to unplug the washing machine from the mains for 20–30 minutes. Then connect the machine to the mains and try to start the washing program again. If the cause was a one-time failure in the control module, the error indicator will no longer be displayed after a reboot.
If the above recommendations did not solve the problem, you need to check the washing machine for mechanical problems.
See also - Bosch washing machine gives error F17 (E17) — what does it mean?
Malfunctions in the hatch door mechanisms
- The side hinges are sagging or skewed, the latch does not fit into the hole for the tongue due to the incorrect position of the door. Over time, or due to the impact of a large weight on the door, this problem may occur. In this case, you can independently tighten the bolts holding the side hinges so that the door snaps into place. In case of mechanical damage, a complete replacement of the hinges will be required;
- the plastic door guide has become unusable, it is not fixed in the lock hole — in this case, it is necessary to disassemble the car door, most likely, the part will need to be replaced;
- in case of incorrect operation of the fixing tongue, it is necessary to disassemble the hatch door and check the position of the rod intended for fixing the tongue. You can put the stem back in its original place; in case of damage, it will need to be replaced.
If the loading door of the washing machine is tightly closed, and error F16 still appears on the display and the washing program does not start, then there are problems with the electronics.
- Sunroof blocking device defective. UBL consists of plates that expand under the influence of electricity and thereby contribute to the blocking of the door. The plates may be worn out, in which case it is necessary to replace them or the locking device as a whole.
- Worn or damaged wiringconnecting the control module and the hatch blocking module, as a result, the blocking device is de-energized. First of all, you need to check the wiring for breaks, clean it. To do this, you will need to partially disassemble the machine, in the absence of the necessary skills, it is better to entrust this to specialists. If damage to the integrity of the wiring is found, it will need to be replaced.
- Faulty control module — to determine this, you will need to make a complete diagnosis of the board using a multimeter. The electronic module is the most sensitive part of the washing machine and must be handled with care. You may need to flash the module, solder the contacts, or completely replace the board.
If you do not have the appropriate knowledge and qualifications, it is better to entrust the diagnosis and repair of malfunctions to specialists in order to avoid unnecessary money and time costs.