F17 or door errors on the Ariston washing machine may appear on the display before washing starts, during operation, or after it. But how is this error decoded? In the article we will tell you in detail what they mean, the reasons for their appearance and how to fix them yourself.
How the error is decoded
Error F17 or Door means that a failure has occurred or the hatch lock does not work. The main cause of the malfunction is the hatch blocking device (UBL), but the control board (module), the motor may also be faulty, or the contacts and wiring may be damaged.
On Hotpoint-Ariston washing machines without a display, the error is displayed as follows:
- On Ariston Margherita models, the error is displayed by cyclic blinking of the network indicator 17 times, then fades for up to 10 seconds. and repeat. Also, the switch knob will rotate clockwise and plus the sunroof lock indicator may blink.
- The AV, AVL, AVTL, AVSL, CDE and others range displays an error by blinking the “Spin” indicators and the last in a series of additional functions (depending on the model, this is “Extra Rinse” or “Spin Speed Reduction”). The sunroof lock indicator will also flash rapidly.
- On Ariston machines of the Low-End line (ARSL, ARTL, ARXL, AVM, ARUSL and others), the second from the top and the first from the bottom indicators (“Rinse” and “Hatch Lock”) will flash simultaneously with the phases of the cycles in a row vertically. All additional function LEDs may also be lit.
- Models of the Aqualtis series display the F17 error by simultaneously flashing 1 and 5 temperature indicators (“No heating” and “60 ° C”, and in models with six indicators “No heating” and “90 ° C”)
Problems that do not require repair
In most cases, the occurrence of a Door or F17 error on a Hotpoint-Ariston washing machine indicates problems that do not require appropriate repair:
- The door is not tightly closed. Perhaps the linen got between the hatch and the elastic band (cuff). To fix the problem, it is enough to completely open the door of the machine and get rid of the object that prevents it from closing. If the problem is solved, a corresponding click occurs during the closing process. After that, the error signal disappears.
- Something fell into the hole in the lock. It is necessary to carefully check the mechanism, small pieces of fabric, thread or dirt could get into it. When removing such things, the main thing is not to damage the lock hole and its elements. To do this, the work should be done very carefully. After removing foreign objects, close the door tightly.
- The contacts are gone. The lack of communication in the contact circuit often appears after the transportation of the washing machine or its improper installation. If the device is standing on an uneven surface, it must be properly leveled by checking the result using a standard building level.
- Fault in the control board. A similar problem is eliminated by rebooting the washing machine. This can be forced by disconnecting the device from the power supply. After that, you need to give the device about 10 minutes to “rest”. After that, you can reconnect the machine to the network. If everything is done correctly, the error that has arisen will disappear and the machine will work correctly.
- The hatch hinges were loose. Sometimes the mounts loosen as a result of constant vibration of the device. In such a situation, you can independently cope with the problem by carefully adjusting the position of the fasteners with a screwdriver and fixing them in the right place.
Faults requiring repair
If it was not possible to eliminate the F17 or Door error on your own, you need to seek help from a specialist.
|The door of the washing machine is not blocked when it is tightly closed; the blockage disappears during the washing process; the blocking does not disappear after the selected device operation mode ends.||Faulty hatch blocking device (UBL) — a device that is responsible for blocking the hatch.||UBL needs to be replaced|
|Motor brush wear. Some Hotpoint-Ariston machine models recognize motor problems (e.g. worn brushes) as a DOOR closing error.||In this case, it is necessary to replace the motor brushes with new ones.|
|Malfunctions in the engine circuit, for example, the lamellas are burnt or the stator is faulty. As already mentioned, the hatch lock control occurs in a chain with the motor, so engine problems can be recognized as error F17.||Troubleshooting the motor circuit.|
|Control board defective. Triacs, resistors, varistor, diodes, etc. may have burned out. responsible for the management of the UBL. There may also be such reasons: the tracks of the microcircuit are burned out the processor of the control unit is out of order the contacts of the radio elements are burnt or oxidized a failure in the firmware||Triacs, resistors, contacts and tracks of microcircuits can all be replaced or soldered by yourself. If the microprocessor is faulty, the control module must be replaced. A failure in the firmware is eliminated by reprogramming the controller.|
|The door of the machine does not close physically. The tongue does not fall into the hole of the lock or the tongue does not fall well.||Loose hinges and warped the door, the machine does not close well. This is due to the mechanical impact on the open hatch door.||Hinges need to be replaced. Depending on the model of the Hotpoint-Ariston machine
there may be two or one.
|The “tongue” does not fall into the lock hole due to skew or mechanical damage.||It is necessary to disassemble the door and replace the broken parts (tongue, guide). Sometimes the guide pops out, and it will be enough just to put it in place.|
|The door does not lock and writes an error F17 or door; Blocking during the washing process periodically, then appears, then disappears.||Damaged wiring or contacts. The contact connectors between the control module and the door lock system are out of order. Most often this happens due to the fact that the wires are quite easily rubbed against the edge of the tank due to the constant vibrations of the washing machine.||If the problem is in the wiring, then it is necessary to twist and heat shrink the damaged areas or completely replace the cable. If the contacts are broken, then it is necessary to solder. If they were badly damaged, then it is better to replace with a new contact group.|