Even in the best quality washing machine, the handle can break off. Its plastic part is very fragile. Being subjected to constant stress when trying to open, it may not withstand. If you pull the handle before the lock opens, it will also quickly break. It cannot be repaired, you will need to install a new part. This can be done on your own.
How to open the door if the handle is broken
The cause of the breakdown is usually careless handling, and not marriage or poor-quality apparatus. As a rule, the handle breaks when trying to open the door after the end of the wash. It is necessary to gently press it until a characteristic click is heard, indicating the lock is snapped off, and then carefully open it.
After finishing washing, you need to wait a few minutes, for some time the door remains locked.
When faced with a breakdown, you do not need to worry. You can replace the part without calling a specialist. First you need to dismantle it. There are several ways to do this.
You should first inspect the broken part. If only part of the handle has broken off, it may be possible to open the door for the rest. For which sometimes you need to use tools. Taking the part remaining on the door with pliers, you need to press on the spring and pull the hatch towards you. If these steps do not help, you can use other methods:
- If the machine is equipped with an emergency opening, you must pull the special cable or lever. It is located near the drain filter. To get to it, you will need to remove the bottom panel.
- Open hatch from inside. You need to remove the top cover of the equipment and get your hand to the internal constipation. Press on it and push the door from the inside.
- With rope. Taking a strong rope, insert it into the hole between the hatch and the body from the side of the lock. Pull the rope and stretch it from both sides to the castle. The rope will press on the lever and the machine will open.
See also - How to force drain water from a broken washing machine
How to dismantle
To change the handle, the door from the machine must be removed and the broken part dismantled.
Before disassembling the door, it is necessary to remember the location of the bolts, the attachment points of the handle and the side of the glass inclination. It is better to take a picture of her so as not to forget.
It is not difficult to dismantle it yourself, without the help of a master. The instruction is very simple:
- Open door. Near the canopy, find places of attachment to the body. As a rule, these are self-tapping screws that can be unscrewed with a Phillips screwdriver.
- Remove the loading hatch cover, put it on the floor. It will need to be disassembled.
- Loosen the fixing screws around the circumference of the cover. This will require a regular or Phillips screwdriver, depending on the type of fasteners.
- Insert a flat screwdriver into the gap between the inner and outer parts, pry. Disassemble the door into two halves, remove the glass.
- The handle is fixed with a metal rod. It is required to press on it with an awl or a thin pin, push and hook the rod, and then pull it out.
- Get the handle and spring.
It is better to take a picture of the handle attachment point before dismantling, so as not to get confused during assembly.
How to install a new handle
The pen should be purchased at a hardware store. When going shopping, you need to rewrite the model and name of the machine so that the new part fits. It is completed with a spring and a rod necessary for fasteners.
Handle Installation Instructions:
- Insert spring. It needs to be put in the same place where the former stood. At the same time, it is important to be careful. The spring should be exactly in place. It’s quite difficult, you need to try.
- Insert the hook with the handle until it stops.
- When the part has taken its position, insert the pin. It must be passed through all the holes. During pushing, it should be rotated to facilitate entry into the holes. You can use pliers.
Having dealt with the problem, you should check whether the handle works correctly. Because of the spring, it is slightly retracted. If the handle is not repelled by the spring, it is not inserted correctly. It is better to immediately disassemble it and try to insert it again.
Next, you need to place the glass and attach the second half of the cover until a characteristic click. Fasten the halves with fixing bolts and install the door on the machine.
If you can’t figure out how to replace the handle yourself, it’s better to call the master so as not to damage the parts.