Today, the washing machine has become an indispensable tool in everyday life. A variety of washing modes in cold and hot water: fast, delicate and intensive, perfectly wash any laundry. Washing in hard water significantly degrades the quality, the linen becomes hard and dirt is practically not washed off. When washing with hot water, scale is formed, which spoils the machine parts. Due to scale, the heating element overheats, which can lead to its combustion. For effective washing, be sure to use washing machine water softener. In soft water, the powder dissolves better and the laundry is washed better, and the machine parts do not deteriorate.
How to soften water for washing?
There are two ways to soften water — use chemicals or water filters.
- Use laundry softeners. The most common remedy is Calgon 2in1. He will be able to protect the important parts of the machine: drum, heater and plastic pipes. The agent must be applied in different doses depending on the hardness of the water. Manufacturers of washing machines Whirlpool, Bosch, Siemens recommend using Calgon 2in1 in their machines. But, it does not get rid of scale, but softens the water and prevents the formation of scale. That is, it does not give a 100% guarantee of machine protection.
- To soften water, use laundry detergents that already have softeners added, such as Ariel, Persil, etc. There will be less “water softener” in such powders, but they can protect machine parts from scale. Compliance with the indicated dosages of high-quality powder will extend the life of the washing machine.
- To soften water, use a folk remedy — soda ash. Adding it to laundry detergent will soften the wash water. But soda must be added in small quantities. It is not suitable for washing clothes made of natural fabrics.
- Laundry soap will also soften the water in the washing machine. Washing will be effective.
Soda and laundry soap at least soften the water, but lead to additional scale formation. That is, it is often not recommended to use them.
You can soften and purify water from impurities using a filter if you put it in the inlet hose of the washing machine. For this, different filters are used.
- The salt filter is the cheapest and therefore most affordable. Thanks to polyphosphate crystals, the water at the outlet becomes soft. The quality of washing is noticeably improved.
- The magnetic filter attracts metals. It is universal, it is also used to purify drinking water. The filter is more reliable, but its cost is many times higher than the salt one.
- Ionic — retains salts of heavy metals in the compartments. After the filter, very soft water is obtained.
- An osmosis filter is an effective tool for softening water in a washing machine. Purifies water from salts and heavy metals. After cleaning, the water becomes very soft and is great for washing.
The use of chemicals and filters will help make washing clothes more efficient — so that soft and fluffy things remain just as beautiful and retain their original appearance for longer.
See also - How to clean a washing machine from mold?
Prevention and cleaning of machine parts
To prevent bacteria and clean scale from machine parts, it is good to use citric acid. Take 60 gr. lemons, for a typewriter for 4 kg of laundry, pour into the powder compartment, turn on the mode with a temperature of 60 degrees. The machine itself will clean the dirt and scale. It is recommended to repeat this procedure once every 3 months in order to prevent the formation of hard deposits on the parts in the washing machine.
If you value your washing machine, be sure to use a water softener for your washing machine. Hard water can be softened in many ways. Choose the most suitable option for you. Wash in comfort! An effective water softener and cleaning of machine parts will prolong the life of your assistant.