Black mold lives in damp, warm places with insufficient ventilation: in the bathroom, toilet, in places where there are leaks between the ceiling and walls. If, when the washing machine door is opened, a putrid smell spreads around, and a black coating is visible on the inner surface of the rubber seal, the machine is infected with mold. Mold in the washing machine is a serious problem and very difficult to remove. Therefore, it is better to install a washing machine not in the bathroom, but in the kitchen, where the air is drier. In a spacious room, it is more convenient to clean the washing machine inside than in a cramped bathroom. In this article, we will tell you how to get rid of mold in a washing machine, because it is dangerous to human health.
How to start fighting mold
It is very difficult to remove mold in a washing machine, so we first check the details from the outside, and then inside:
- rubber seal (manhole cuff);
- container for powder, conditioner and bleach;
- inlet hose, filter on it;
- drain hose, filter on it;
- drain filter located at the bottom of the machine.
If gray deposits or black dots are visible on these work surfaces, they should be cleaned with a chlorine-based product. You can use a special mold cleaner for cleaning washing machines or use folk methods. The people use vinegar, a solution of copper sulfate or “Whiteness”. It is necessary to do the treatment carefully so that strong chemicals do not damage the cuff of the washing machine.
Getting rid of the fungus is much more difficult when it has spread inside the tub of the washing machine. It is very difficult to disassemble the washing machine and clean it at home. If you do not have the necessary skills, then it is better to entrust the dismantling of the washing machine to professionals. A different cleaning method is required.
See also: How to clean the drain and filler filter of the washing machine
Where does mold come from in a washing machine?
There are a number of reasons why mold can form in a washing machine:
- the room where the washer is installed is infected with mold;
- the room is damp, hot, there is no ventilation;
- the machine door is always closed when not in use;
- washing is carried out at a temperature below 60 degrees;
- when washing, rinse aid, fabric softener are often used;
- do not use bleach when rinsing;
- a descaler is not added to the powder;
- We often leave damp laundry in the washer.
The rinse mode included in the washing programs is not able to remove the remnants of the conditioner from the laundry and from the walls of the tank. Over time, the tank of the washing machine becomes overgrown with plaque, which is difficult to get rid of. This plaque serves as a breeding ground for the black mold fungus. In this case, regular cleaning from mold will be required. What to do to clean the car and always get rid of new attacks of the fungus?
See also - How to use Calgon for washing machines?
Mold control: ways and means
Bleach and heat will help to remove mold and protect the washing machine. Cleaning sequence:
- Pour 1 liter of Whiteness into the powder tray. Set the mode “heavy pollution” and the maximum temperature.
- After 2–2.5 hours, when the water in the washer heats up to 90 degrees, pause the program control for 1–2 hours. This will help to radically clean the tank.
- Continue washing.
- Pour 1 liter of 9% vinegar into the detergent container, start rinsing.
- After cleaning, dry the machine by leaving the door wide open for several days.
This method of cleaning leaves no chance for fungus colonies to survive. It can be used no more than once every six months. After cleaning, you need to thoroughly dry the washing unit, leaving the door open for 2–3 days.
Citric acid helps to get rid of mold. It is softer than chlorine, but at the same time it can clean the heating element of the washing machine from scale. 400 g of acid is enough for cleaning. The wash cycle without laundry starts at a temperature of 60–90 degrees. Instead of citric acid, you can clean it with vinegar, 1 liter per wash is enough. Preventive antifungal cleaning is performed 3–4 times a year.
How to permanently get rid of mold
Rules to help get rid of mold forever:
- after washing, it is better to keep the machine door open until it is completely dry inside;
- do not leave washed clothes in the washer;
- after washing, carefully remove moisture from the drum and the rubber seal outside and inside;
- at the end of washing, it is necessary to wash the detergent dispenser and dry it;
- run the machine every month without laundry at 90–100 degrees, using a bleach for cleaning;
- it is necessary to clean the washing machine 3–4 times a year with citric acid or vinegar in hot water;
- use water improvers (air conditioners, rinses) as rarely as possible — after them it is difficult to clean the tank from the fungus;
- regular cleaning of the filter and hoses helps to get rid of mold.
When these rules are followed, it is easy to clean the fungus from the walls of the tank and rubber at the time of its appearance — the spores will not have time to multiply and spread throughout the car. Regular cleaning and drying will extend the life of the washing unit. Pathogenic spores, bacteria will not get on linen and in the respiratory tract of family members and pets. The fight against mold will save both equipment and the health of the inhabitants of the house. Now you know what to do if mold appears in the washing machine and how to get rid of it forever.