When buying a new kettle, open it and smell it, if you smell plastic, then put the product on the shelf, such a novelty will not bring you joy. But what if you only noticed at home that the new kettle smells like plastic? In this case, the well-known “fighters” of smells come into play — soda, lemon, vinegar.
How to deal with the smell of plastic
If the new electric kettle smells like plastic, then use the proven methods to remove it:
- Take the juice from 3–4 lemons and pour it into the teapot. Fill the kettle to the brim with water and boil. Let the liquid remain in it for a day, then boil again. If it still smells like plastic, then repeat the procedure several times.
- You can also use lemon zest. It must be filled with an electric kettle to half its volume. Pour clean water and bring to a boil. If the unpleasant odor has not disappeared, then repeat everything again.
- You can take 2 tablespoons of a 9% solution of acetic acid, or 100 grams of table vinegar, add water to the kettle and bring to a boil. After such cleaning, it will no longer smell like plastic. After the procedure, the electric kettle must be rinsed well so that the vinegar does not get into the prepared drinks.
- Take 3 tablespoons of baking soda, dissolve in water, pour into an electric kettle and boil. If the amber has not disappeared, the procedure must be repeated several times. The “plastic” smell should be gone.
The use of these methods should save you from the ambre of plastic. If the kettle also smells like plastic, it means that non-food plastic was used in the manufacture of the equipment, and it must be returned to the store or thrown away. Using such an electric kettle is harmful to health!
Traditional methods of dealing with the smell of plastic
What to do if the tried methods did not bring the desired result? In addition to the classical methods, you can apply other methods to combat the smell of plastic:
- Pour clean water into the kettle. Add 50 grams of citric acid. You can also clean the kettle from scale with a lemon. Boil the solution and leave for 12 hours. Rinse thoroughly. The plastic taste should be gone.
- You can add a few bay leaves to boiling water. The smell should go.
- If you take 2 lira “Sprite”, and boil a drink in a teapot. This should help get rid of the plastic smell. Just rinse it very thoroughly afterwards.
- If all methods did not have the desired effect, you can try using detergents that include surfactants. Boil a solution of water with this remedy. Drain. Rinse the kettle thoroughly. Pour in fresh water and boil again. Remember, the use of harmful and aggressive detergents can be harmful to health. Therefore, thoroughly wash them off the surfaces of dishes and appliances.
See also: How to clean a microwave oven at home
How to get rid of musty smell
It happens that the electric kettle starts to smell like a swamp. A musty smell can appear if you do not wash the kettle and do not drain the water from it, but only add it before boiling. Also, a musty smell can appear if you have an old plumbing system, and there are a lot of various impurities in the water that get into your kettle and remain on the walls and the kettle heating element.
To remove the musty smell, pour clean water into the kettle, add 50 grams of citric acid and boil this solution.
The most common sugar will help you with the problem of musty smell:
- pour a couple of tablespoons of granulated sugar on the bottom of an empty teapot,
- leave for 10–12 hours,
- pour water, heat, adding citric acid, thoroughly rinse the appliance.
To prevent amber from appearing again, try not to pour too much water into the kettle. It is better if, after you boil water for tea, pour out unnecessary water. Leave the kettle with the lid open so that it is ventilated and does not develop a musty smell.
See also: How to get rid of the smell in a slow cooker
Why does water in an electric kettle smell like plastic?
The reason that a new electric kettle smells unpleasant may be:
- Residues of technical oil that is used in the manufacture of equipment, if it has not been completely removed at the factory.
- Plastic or chemicals that were left in a sealed bag with the kettle.
- Plasticizers that are added to the plastic from which the kettle was made. Manufacturers add these substances to extend the life of products.
- Cheap dye.
The first two sources of odor are easy to get rid of by thoroughly rinsing the kettle. The last two are very unhealthy and almost impossible to remove from the kettle.
Do not use the electric kettle if it smells bad and the smell cannot be removed. If you bought a kettle recently, then you should return it to the store and ask to change the appliance, or to get your money back. You are not obliged to use low-quality equipment that can be harmful to your health. Now you know what to do if the new kettle smells like plastic.
See also - Descaling a kettle with home remedies