In this article, we will consider one of the frequent problems with water intakewhen the machine is turned off. Our instructions will help you quickly diagnose the cause and eliminate the breakdown.
Causes of the malfunction
The first step is to find out the cause of the problem. Consider two sources through which water can enter the drum of a washing machine when it is turned off. The first is a sewer pipe, the second is a water pipe. We study the nature of the liquid, if the water is cloudy or smelly, it comes from the sewer pipe, if it is clean, it comes through the water supply.
Malfunctions, depending on the water source:
- Malfunction of the solenoid valve, which is responsible for the water supply;
- Absence or malfunction of the siphon valve;
- Incorrect connection of the washing machine to the sewer;
- The drain or sewer system is clogged with debris, causing water to flow back into the drum.
The water in the drum is cloudy and with a characteristic odor, we check the drain system in stages:
- The drain hose is not fixed or is set at a level below 60 centimeters. If the hose is not fixed in a special bracket (see photo below), water from the sewer will enter the washing machine;
- The washing machine is connected to the sink or bathtub siphon. The siphon clogs periodically, while using the sink or bathtub, the water does not have time to drain into the sewer and enters the drain hose, then into the washing machine tank.
- General blockage of the sewer system. In this case, the water should not drain well at the connection point of the washing machine. For example, in the bathroom, toilet, sink or washbasin. It all depends on the connection of the washing machine. If the blockage is common, the water does not have time to be discharged into the general sewerage and enters the washing machine under pressure. The siphon valve solves this problem.
If the water in the tank is clear, you have a faulty water start valve. It is easy to diagnose a breakdown in this case, turn off the water supply valve, the water supply to the tank should stop. The valve cannot be repaired, it must be replaced with a new one.
See also - LG washing machine gives a DE error — what does it mean?
How to fix
We will not describe in detail how to clean the sewer in this article. Siphon disassemble and wash the task is not difficult. If you do not want to do it yourself, call a regular locksmith, he will help. This also applies to sewer cleaning. We recommend that you read the material on how to connect a washing machine if you have a connection problem.
Before starting repairs, be sure to turn off the water and disconnect from the mains. Replacing the electronic valve is a simple repair and we will help you with this.
Note! Breakage of the water supply valve is a warranty case. Self-repair will void your warranty, if any.
Front loading machine, the simplest case:
- We remove the top cover of the washer, most often it is enough to unscrew the two bolts at the back;
- We remove the electricity supply terminals and disconnect the hoses, unscrew the screws that secure the valve to the body;
- Install the new valve in reverse order. Follow the polarity of the connected wires, do not mix them up.
In top-loading washers, you have to remove the back wall, it also happens that you have to remove the entire body. In any case, it all comes down to the fact that you need to get to the valve, the valve is located where the water is supplied to the washer. We remove the valve and install a new one.
We do not recommend repairing the valve, it is easier to purchase a new one. But repair is possible, watch the video below “How to disassemble the valve”.
Do not rush to close the lid or assemble the body of the washer. We carry out the test step, connect the water supply hose and start any wash to check the performance.
A few tips on how to avoid such problems:
- Install a faucet to control the flow of water. Before washing, it can be opened, and after, respectively, closed. The method is not for the lazy, according to experts, the inlet valve will last longer;
- Install a siphon valve. This will help eliminate the ingress of sewer water into the drum;
- It is advisable to use a leak protection system that is installed on the floor. Your neighbors will thank you.
We hope our article helped you solve the problem. Write a comment or share the article with social networks, we will be pleased!