Types of external hard drives
Which external hard drive is better to choose and buy for a computer? There are several types:
- mobile — ideal for frequent carrying;
- stationary — they are connected to the software using a USB port. The weight of the hard drive is a maximum of 2 kg, and the dimensions are about the same as those of a laptop;
- HDD (magnetic). If we talk about classic hard drives, they have quite decent performance, but are known for their susceptibility to various kinds of damage;
- SSD (solid-state) — such external memory is expensive, but very fast and compact. It is identical to large flash drives;
- SSHD (second name — hybrid) is a magnetic hard drive, which was supplemented with memory cells.
Budget and purpose of use
When buying an external HDD, you first need to decide on the budget and tasks that the drive will perform. So for the usual transfer of data between different devices, you do not need special power and performance, which will allow you to focus on budget options. But when choosing a disc for a TV with 4K Ultra HD resolution, support for 3D, HDR or other modern technologies, you should stop at all on fast solid-state models. They will cost more, but their speed and reliability are better than conventional hard drives.
The market offers several types of memory sizes. Today it is difficult to find such a size as 512 GB, the standard is the amount of hard drive memory of 1 TB. If this amount of memory is not enough for the client, then it is worth choosing from other options — 2.3 or 4 TB.
Almost always drives are designed for 2.5″. Previously, users could find large drives that had 3.5″ drives, this was the maximum storage capacity of a hard drive. But today they are practically non-existent. They could not hold their positions and cannot compete with current models due to the constant need for an additional form of nutrition, their own size.
Choosing a compact 2.5‑inch model or a 1.8‑inch solution, you don’t have to worry about this issue. For small devices, no additional power is required, because the information carrier receives it directly through the port through which it is connected to a TV, PC or other device. An exception to this rule are drives with a Wi-Fi module that use a built-in battery. But large 3.5‑inch models are necessarily supplied with an additional power supply, which adds weight and dimensions to an already rather big device.
What does disk interface mean? This is the method used to connect it to a PC, TV, laptop. The latest version of USB (3.0) is popular among users and is fast and convenient. It allows you to provide speeds up to 5 GB / s during the transfer of information.
If we compare the interface with USB in terms of such an indicator as information transfer speed, then only Thunderbolt can compete, this is the most reliable external hard drive. This kind of interface is compatible exclusively with MacBooks and guarantees information exchange at a speed of 10 GB / s. If a person works with equipment manufactured by Apple, then it is better for him to purchase a hard drive with a similar interface.
Let’s decide on the type of memory — HDD, or SSD. What is their difference?
Consists of ferrimagnetic plates where data is written. Reading is done by magnetic heads. Such devices are afraid of mechanical shocks and shocks. The distance between the head and the plate is 0.1 micrometer. If it touches the plate (during mechanical shock), it will break. Such devices are popular due to their low cost.
Flash memory is used. There are no moving parts. Therefore, they have a high data transfer rate. They are convenient to carry. Despite the limited number of rewriting cycles, they have a reserve, so they will work for more than one year.
If you need a mobile drive that is not afraid of shock, and you need high performance, get an SSD.
The physical parameters of the drive depend on the capacity of the drive. They are:
- 2.5″ (inches) are compact devices. The volume is limited to five terabytes. This is the mobile version. They are easy to carry without fear of damage. No additional power is used for operation. It is convenient to use as an additional drive for a mobile PC;
- 3.5″. Up to eight terabytes. Desktop version.
HDD rotation speed
Measured in revolutions per second. There are:
- Quiet, not high-speed devices with a speed of 5400. Used for data storage;
- Devices with a speed of 7200. Show balanced indicators;
- The fastest — 10000.
It is applied for:
- buffering before reading or writing;
- storing regularly used data (boot record).
Modern drives have between eight and sixty-four megabytes of memory installed. I recommend buying devices that have at least thirty-two megabytes of memory installed.
It is important to understand what an external hard drive consists of, as well as what parameters are very important. Form factor is a type of hard box that affects the device’s memory, namely its volume. There are several options:
- 1.8″ is a portable external hard drive that is very popular. It is compact and has nimble SSD chips, but can only fit 500 gigs;
- 2.5 ″ — this option is presented on the market by hybrids and HHD. Here the memory is 2 TB, but they do not have enough power from USB;
- 3.5″ are huge drives. They have the largest amount of memory, which is equal to 10 TB, but they differ in bulky parameters. In most cases, products are presented as stationary hard drives that need to be connected to the network.
Today, the most popular external drives are conventional HDDs. In other words, we are talking about classic hard drives, inside of which there are magnetic plates and reading heads. Such media are inexpensive, but they require careful handling, because strong shocks or drops can easily damage the drive. But SSD or, in other words, solid-state drives, such a problem is not terrible. At its core, we have an ordinary flash drive, but with a large number of chips. The type of memory in such devices may vary, but even the simplest TLC options can last for many years without wear and tear. In this case, according to the characteristics of external SSD drives, it is much more important to pay attention to the controller, because it is on it that the service life of the information carrier primarily depends.
Availability of additional functions
We now already know the types of hard drives for a computer, now it’s worth understanding the possible additional functions:
- cooling, without which models of a stationary type cannot be dispensed with. Thanks to this function, the drive will not overheat, and this will help to avoid further breakdowns of the product;
- shockproof characteristics — there are manufacturers who guarantee that a good external hard drive will not break even if it falls from the third floor. There are such models, but their price will be higher than the rest. We are talking about SSD drives;
- dust and moisture protection — this function is provided due to the fact that the hard drive housing is completely sealed. You can’t swim with such a hard, but he is able to survive spilled coffee.
Good to know
When choosing an external drive, many people try to figure out which file system it supports. In fact, it is simply a matter of how data is organized on an information carrier. Therefore, cheap disk models support all kinds of file systems just as well as expensive ones. The choice depends on your operating system, but in most cases you will be dealing with NTFS or FAT32.
Buffer size is an important parameter. It is a built-in memory where the most requested data is stored. Accordingly, the larger the clipboard (cache), the more information it can record. Thus, you can enjoy improved system performance. For the same purpose, for example, many laptops put a separate SSD cache.
Protection against moisture and dust
A very useful addition for people leading an active lifestyle is the protection of the information carrier. Of course, in terms of price-quality ratio, external drives of this class will be inferior to unprotected counterparts. However, any additional, but not a mass function increases the cost of any thing. As for drives, they can be equipped with protection against moisture, dust and even shock. Travelers or builders may need such opportunities.
The last ancillary option to look out for is the software. It is rare, but the benefits are significant. So the applications installed on the drive can protect it from viruses or unauthorized access. The software also helps to optimize power consumption and backup data. However, if necessary, such programs can be found on the network both on a paid and free basis.
It is simply impossible to overestimate the benefits of an external drive in the modern world. With the help of such a device, you can more conveniently transfer and store information so that you can access it anywhere. Teachers, students, businessmen and even owners of smartphones and tablets who like to watch movies on the road can benefit from information carriers of this format. However, when choosing an external drive, you need to be especially careful, because its convenience and durability depend on the quality and capabilities of the device. Our recommendations will help you choose the ideal drive that is perfect for your individual requirements.
The New York brand boasts a fairly long stay on the market. It was founded back in 1911. But not for longevity, the manufacturer got into the ranking of the best. It is in review due to the steady release of excellent external HDDs and storage systems.
|Key features of IBM products:|
|The company produces excellent additions to servers with embedded software:||this simplifies the storage and recovery of information, provides an opportunity to receive recommendations that help optimize tasks.|
|Built-in encryption programs||responsible for the safety of information, close access to confidential files.|
|Support for T10-PI standard||ensures data integrity.|
|Improves performance on demand||creation of special options, for example, Turbo Performance.|
This is one of the largest US companies in the field of information technology, which was founded in 1939. The manufacturer is famous for its excellent computers, laptops and components, as well as software. External HDD drives of this brand are also good, otherwise the company simply would not be included in the review of the best. SimpleSave is one of the most popular product lines.