A large number of breakdowns of washing machines happen due to hard water. For the same reason, the washing process becomes inefficient. The salts in the water settle on the heating element and other parts of the equipment, which leads to the formation of multilayer scale. Many experts strongly advise to systematically clean the automatic machine. The remedy for such prevention is the usual citric acid. In this article, we will tell you how much citric acid to pour in, and how to clean the washing machine with citric acid from scale?
Cleaning steps with citric acid
For the descaling procedure, you only need a small piece of dry cloth and citric acid powder. All actions can be expressed in the following list:
- First you need to inspect the drum so that it is empty. Most fabrics become discolored under the action of the agent.
- Approximately 90–100g of citric acid should be poured into the powder tray. The amount of lemons poured should correspond to the volume of the drum. If you need to clean equipment with a capacity of up to 4 kg, then up to 50–60 g of lemon will be enough. It is also allowed to pour citric acid into the drum itself.
- Next, you need to decide on the mode. It must contain the process of rinsing, spinning. If the scale has formed in a small amount, it is enough to heat the water to 60°C, otherwise the water must be heated to 90°C.
- When the drum is empty and closed, and the powder container is filled with lemon, the washing mode starts.
- After the process is completed, it is imperative to inspect the places under the drum cuff. There may be traces of scale. They should simply be thoroughly wiped with a dry cloth.
- In conclusion, it is necessary to clean the drain filter, dry the powder container.
When the wash cycle is running, you can see scale fragments that have fallen off under the influence of acid. This means that the tool has fully coped with its task.
Experienced craftsmen argue that such preventive maintenance of equipment should be performed at least three times during the year. If the water has a high hardness, then after every 30 washes it is necessary to clean the machine. With weak water hardness, the cleaning procedure will be sufficient twice a year.
See also - How to clean the drain and inlet filter of the washing machine
Why clean your washing machine with citric acid?
It is not difficult to follow step-by-step instructions on how to clean a washing machine with citric acid. The question arises: why is this necessary? Most often, water that is supplied through pipes has a high percentage of salts and impurities. At the moment of heating, the salt contained in the water settles on the surface of the heating element, scale appears. The same thing happens with dishwashers and electric kettles.
If the appliance is not descaled in time, this will increase the time for heating the water. Consequently, the consumption of electricity will increase. It is also possible that the heating element has burned out. For this reason, the prevention of a washing machine should be carried out in a timely and efficient manner.
With the help of citric acid, you can effectively descale the heating element and the drum of the washing machine. As the water heats up, the acid reacts with the scale and breaks it down. Scale flakes fall off the parts of the equipment and are washed off with water.
Advantages and disadvantages of citric acid
There is no doubt about the positive effect of using lemongrass. The scale actually disappears. However, is there any negative impact of this remedy?
To answer the question posed — how much to pour, and can citric acid for a washing machine cope with scale? Any tool is beneficial if used in the right amount. If you clean the machine with a lot of lemons, while setting the mode with the maximum temperature of water heating, the effect will be devastating. Elements made of plastic or rubber, when interacting with acid and hot water, will begin to deform. Plaque will also break off, only together with the surface of plastic and rubber elements.
Do not neglect the temperature of the water and lemon juice. The tool will effectively clean plaque in warm water, hot water only increases the intensity of the process. A temperature of 60°C is enough to activate the process of splitting salt deposits.
Many housewives who carefully take care of their household appliances advise using lemon juice to clean the washer. The reason is that this mixture is available to almost everyone. In addition, citric acid is harmless to the body, does not provoke an allergic reaction, and is quickly washed out with water.
It is unlikely that there will be those who bring water to a boil in their washer. Yes, and many things have a temperature limit of up to 40 ° C. Therefore, the effect will not improve if more citric acid is added. A positive effect is achieved by a balanced use of the product.
Ways to care for equipment
Is it possible to clean the washing machine with other equally effective means? The answer is positive. Specialized departments of stores are overwhelmed with a large assortment of similar products. The use of such products is carried out with strict adherence to the rules prescribed in the instructions for the product.
Familiarization with the rules of use should not be neglected. Especially when the prevention of the washing machine was carried out for a very long time. Because an excess amount of detergent can cause serious malfunctions of individual units or the entire washing machine.
If you decide to clean your washing machine with freshly squeezed lemon juice instead of citric acid, the result will be low, since the acid concentration in fresh lemon juice is quite low. It is also not recommended to use vinegar instead of lemon, as it can provoke the oxidation of some elements of the technique. For some housewives, it’s no secret that you can clean your washing machine with Coca-Cola. To clean the washing machine with Coca-Cola, you need to pour about 3 liters into the drum, set the temperature to 60 ° C and start the washing process. See also: how to clean a washing machine with baking soda.
Timely prevention of the washing machine will help prevent the accumulation of large salt deposits. To do this, it is enough to know the simple rules for caring for a washing machine.
- To reduce the hardness of water, it is better to use softeners for water.
- The amount of powder must be strictly limited in accordance with the standards indicated on the packaging of the product. Powders for automatic washing already contain elements that soften the water.
- It is better not to wash things that are too worn and shabby, as torn threads and pieces of matter settle on the details.
- Wash clothes at a temperature not exceeding 75 ° C.
- When the washing process is over, dry the drum and the powder compartment and dry them so that mold and an unpleasant smell do not form in the washing machine. Read also the article on how to get rid of mold in the washing machine.
The rules for cleaning a washing machine with citric acid are quite simple. There are many videos on this subject. You just need to put the necessary amount of white powder into the compartment, start the process, the machine will do everything by itself. It is enough just to handle the equipment well so as not to worry about a large amount of scale. Now you know how to clean the washing machine with citric acid from scale.