Comfort in our homes gives us not only the presence of furniture, but also household appliances. These devices make our life not only easier, but also create comfort and a certain concept of luxury. However, when purchasing, you always wonder how long it will last us. And this does not always depend on the quality of the equipment itself and its characteristics. In general, household appliances are influenced by factors such as correct operation, handling and maintenance. After all, any equipment needs proper care and maintenance. An exception is not the air conditioner, which maintains in your house not only the necessary temperature, which suits you the most. And therefore, in order for it to serve you faithfully for a long time, you must have basic knowledge of its maintenance and, if necessary, repair. You will learn how to repair air conditioners with your own hands in this article.
Many users of such complex equipment as air conditioning are interested in the question: is it possible to repair the device on their own without resorting to the help of a specialist? Our answer is of course yes. However, before you start repairing household appliances, you need to know the cause of the breakdown, as well as what the air conditioner consists of. Below are the main malfunctions of air conditioners:
- the amount of cold (heat) produced decreases;
- condensate begins to flow due to clogged drainage;
- the air conditioner does not turn on and does not respond to a signal from the remote control;
- there was an unpleasant smell during the operation of the equipment.
All of the problems listed above can be fixed on your own without resorting to the help of a wizard. How to do this you will learn further.
Why did the amount of cold or heat produced fall?
There are a number of reasons for this problem, we will indicate the most common:
- a refrigerant leak has occurred. It can occur randomly, so it is necessary to check the sealing of the device and, if necessary, refuel the system with freon;
- the heat pump has become unusable, or its components. In this case, it is necessary to calculate the part that has become unusable and replace it;
- possible power outages in the network. Often this happens if the device does not have a stabilizer. If this happens, then the air conditioner does not work and does not turn on at all. Consider this factor when installing;
- the air purification system is clogged. Most often, this is the most common problem, and appears when the equipment is not properly maintained. Therefore, it is recommended to clean the filters and fans at least once every six months. The cleaning process is described in the instruction manual, if one is not available, then it can be found on the Internet.
See also - How to choose the perfect air conditioner for your home and apartment
Other malfunctions of air conditioners
Also, not only the air filtration system, but also other parts of the air conditioner can become clogged. As mentioned above, it is necessary to clean the device as often as possible, especially in the summer. Due to the fact that some users forget or do not know at all that it is necessary to clean household appliances from dust and dirt, problems such as drainage leaks come up. If you do not clean the pipe system from the debris that has formed there over time, then condensate will enter your apartment and an unpleasant smell may appear.
When the air conditioner does not start and does not respond to the signals from the remote control, it is necessary, at a minimum, to check the power supply from the mains. If the test showed that there are no problems in the mains, and the device still does not turn on, then it is advisable to check the batteries of the control panel. If their replacement did not help, then the control panel of the air conditioner itself needs to be repaired.
See also - Drain pump for air conditioner — selection and installation rules
When is it necessary to call a specialist?
How to understand whether it is worth repairing your equipment yourself? In what situations is it better not to touch the equipment and leave everything to a specialist? In cases where the malfunction of the air conditioner:
- if the reasons listed above do not fit your problem;
- if you can’t fix the problem;
- if the problem lies in more complex parts of the device that cannot be replaced.
Repair of components such as a compressor is not always possible to repair on your own, at least you need to have sufficient knowledge in electrical engineering. It is better to contact knowledgeable specialists or a service center if your device is under warranty.
How to avoid equipment breakdowns
See also - How to choose and install an air conditioner bracket
In most cases of non-mechanical malfunctions of air conditioners, they are displayed on the display of the device. All modern air conditioners are provided with an automatic failure prevention system. Therefore, it is also worth paying attention to the readings of the indicators in order to avoid serious damage.
Also, as mentioned above, it is necessary to carry out preventive maintenance of the air conditioner every month as often as possible. This is recommended by every manufacturer. Also, some manufacturers provide their own services for servicing your home equipment, which is very convenient if you do not always have time to do it yourself.
Do not forget about the operating instructions that are attached to each device, respectively.
From the foregoing, we can conclude that it is still worth repairing a faulty air conditioner on your own. And if you have certain knowledge in this area, then you will save your money, since the service is not cheap. This is especially true of such a question as how to repair air conditioners with your own hands.