When a woman is expecting a baby, a lot of unusual things happen in her body, all the organs of a pregnant woman work in a different, unusual and enhanced mode, withstanding all the new loads and sensations.
The strangeness of successive new states leads to joys and anxieties, both of which do not allow you to sleep peacefully, and for a pregnant woman, sleep is a necessary and important thing for the full development of the child. How to help improve sleep? Drink sedatives? We do not think that you need to immediately turn to medicines.
But how to make sure that the expectant mother can completely relax and recover before a new day and new sensations? One option is specially designed pregnancy pillows for sleeping — you’ve probably heard of them. Let’s figure out what they are, what they are for, and whether they are needed at all.
Causes of sleep disorders in pregnant women
Sleep problems in expectant mothers are common, and there are many reasons, both physical and psychological.
- Discomfort from a large abdomen. It is difficult to find a comfortable position for falling asleep, because you can’t sleep on your stomach, it’s hard on your back, it’s unusual on your side.
- Edema and convulsions. Legs hurt from edema, cramps torment me at night, what a dream.
- Back pain. Pregnancy and nagging pain in the lower back — alas, this is a normal phenomenon, because there is an excessive load on the spine. It is very difficult to relax while lying on your back, being “in position”, and they say that pregnant women “cannot sleep on their backs”.
- Night visits to the toilet. The fetus presses on the bladder, which is why pregnant women often want to go to the toilet. Night is no exception, getting up, sometimes it is difficult to fall asleep immediately.
- Heartburn. It torments during the day, and at night it worsens on the back.
- Fetal movement. When a mother feels the movements of her child, she is more happy, but sleep does not come. Especially the fetus moves for some reason at night.
- Dyspnea. She also sometimes does not let me sleep.
- Itching. When the tummy grows, stretch marks appear on it, which do not deliver a very pleasant sensation.
- Fatigue. From all this, the young woman gets tired, and she also has family responsibilities. And by the time the baby is born, you need to be rested, because after giving birth you can simply forget about rest for a while.
- Fear and anxiety. Before childbirth, as before everything unknown, women are afraid — that the birth would be simple, that a healthy baby would be born, that there would be milk, so that … so that … so that … How can you relax and rest here?
And the closer to the main event, the more terrible it is, and the more discomfort almost everywhere. Therefore, it is so important for everyone who is nearby to support a pregnant woman, give her positive emotions, and reduce stressful situations to nothing. And also follow the latest developments that can please the expectant mother and make her life easier.
Why you need a special pillow for pregnant women
Men who do not understand what women feel sometimes do not understand why this or that, let’s say, gadget for pregnant women was created, for example, special pillows or underwear for pregnant women. However, it is in physics that a woman experiences many inconveniences when rest is not possible. Everything aches, it is impossible to lie down, the legs do not obey, they swell and hurt.
And just such a thing as a pillow can alleviate this condition. How to sleep on a pregnancy pillow? Very comfortably! You can lift your legs on it, you can lean on it, you can put it under your tummy, under your back, relieving tension, thanks to it you can find a comfortable position for sleeping and daytime rest.
After childbirth, the pillow remains a useful thing for both mother and child — it can become a barrier for the child so that he does not fall out of bed, it is convenient to position the child for feeding with it and relieve the load from the back.
A special pillow can make life easier for nursing mothers. There is no single rule for choosing a form. A woman chooses a model that meets her requirements and physiology. The most popular are:
- C‑shaped pillows;
- boomerang pillows;
- pipe pillows.
For feeding, it is better to choose a model with a removable cover.
Transformer pillows can be conveniently placed under the back in a sitting position, rolled up to relax the legs, wrapped around a nursing mother, unloading the back muscles.
Other forms can also be adapted not only for sleeping, but also for feeding. This is evidenced by the reviews of those who already have experience in using these versatile accessories.
Types of pillows for pregnant women
Let’s see what can suit us among the many offers in this pillow market.
- U‑shaped pillow for pregnant women. It resembles a horseshoe, and is presented in the following sizes: 340x35 (for average and tall girls) and 280x35 (for those below 160 cm). Such a pillow helps your back and tummy evenly settle down on it; ideal for those who like to wrap themselves tightly in a blanket; convenient for those who spin a lot in their sleep; perfect for daytime relaxation. Cons: She needs a big bed.
- Pillow — bagel (size 340 × 35). Your back, tummy and head will be very comfortable on it, the pillow hugs your whole body; for any bed. Disadvantage: if you turn to the other side, then the back will be without a pillow, you will have to turn it over to get comfortable.
- “G” — pillow (size 350 × 35). It is similar to the previous one, released recently, and has already managed to fall in love with pregnant women and young mothers for such moments: it relieves muscle tension; with it you can get in any position — throw your legs, put it under your stomach, lean your back against it, it is ideal for daytime rest. There is also a minus: this pillow has such a “tail” (from the letter G), which prevents some from sleeping.
- Banana pillow for pregnant women (sizes 190×30 and 170×30, available in the shape of the letter C. There are practically no negative reviews. The size is small, so it does not take up space, you can take it with you in a car or train, it is very convenient if you sleep on your side, it comfortably supports your tummy or back, perfect for a daytime rest to relax a little while half-sitting.
- Pillow Big (size 280×35). Designed specifically for pregnant women, and often doctors recommend it. With it, you will have a good rest, during the day — complete relaxation, at night — a restful sleep. On this pillow you can comfortably lay out whatever you want. The pillow is small, despite the name, you can take it with you on the road. If you often roll over at night, then the pillow will need to be dragged along, this is the only negative.
- Pillow D (size 230 cm) — as you guessed, this is a long roller and the letter G is a rounded part for the head. The pillow is comfortable and takes up little space, but it is quite small, so it is not as comfortable as the others.
- roller. This is an orthopedic pillow for pregnant women (sizes 190×30 and 170×30). It is very popular with buyers, has many positive reviews, and is also recommended by obstetricians. The pillow with the letter I is small, well relaxes the back, shoulder girdle, the muscles with it fully rest. No cons even noted.
By the way, if your pens know how to sew, you can easily and having fun make a pillow for pregnant women with your own hands: patterns here-.
This model almost completely repeats the shape and functionality of the J‑shaped pillow, has the same pros and cons and differs only in size — its length is 165 cm, and the length is 85 cm.
What pillow to choose for a pregnant woman
Modern manufacturers take care of pregnant women, understanding their condition and releasing more and more convenient items. When asked which pillow is right for you, we, of course, will not answer. Many factors play a role here: physique, weight, tastes, features of the tummy, financial possibilities.
The main thing is that you understand what exactly you need.
As a rule, large pillows harm pregnant women, the material must be natural, about the filler — not necessarily, since natural filler can cause allergies. Rigidity should be medium. If we are talking about expectant mothers, then during pregnancy and further feeding of the baby, you should pay attention to natural material and hypoallergenic filler. Banana pillows and full-length pillows are very comfortable.
Even if a man really wants to make such a gift, it is better if a woman chooses a pillow.
- You need to lie down on it, turn around several times to look at the convenience, check how the body reacts to elasticity.
- The pillow cover must be durable, the seams are well and evenly made.
- Before you buy, you should check the availability of certificates and the quality of the goods. A maternity pillow company should be well-known and well-reviewed, such as Theraline or Big Pillow.
Basic selection options
What are the criteria for choosing a pillow? There are several of them, we list the main indicators:
- Comfort, convenience.
- Natural materials of the cover and filler, which are highly hygroscopic and hypoallergenic.
- Universal use, shape change.
- Product dimensions. These parameters depend on the height of the woman. With an average height, pillows with a length of 160–170 cm are needed, with a high one — 250–320 cm. There are products of a meter length — for feeding babies.
The pillow should be placed completely on the bed.
You need to choose it taking into account the size of the bed. The product should not hang and slide off it.
There are no hard and fast guidelines for pad configuration. It is determined by the woman herself, based on her physiology, desires and preferences.
What filler is best for pillows for pregnant women
Opinions differ on this issue. Modern fillers are hypoallergenic, and all deserve attention, but have some differences:
Holofiber. This is one of the latest technologies, considered so far ideal. Glue is not used in the production, the fabric fibers are glued together due to the high temperature during manufacture. The filler is an empty spiral, which gives the filler elasticity. Such fillers are durable, they are easy to wash, while they retain all their qualities.
Styrofoam. Special filler for pillows for pregnant women. It is a set of small balls up to 1 mm in diameter. The material is resistant and does not perceive microorganisms of microbes, mites, fungus and mold. This filler does not bend, it is plastic and adapts to any posture, which is very convenient. But if a pregnant woman has sleep problems, then this filler is unlikely to fit, it rustles at the slightest movement, and therefore can interfere. Its cost is more.
Comfortel. Soft polyester filling made of siliconized fibers, easy to wash. The price is low, but the life is also low.
Double filler. Combines the best characteristics of several fillers.
Natural fillers in pillows for pregnant women should not be used, they can cause allergies, insects easily get into them, if they do not start, then chemical treatments may have been used. Down and wool can become matted and have an unpleasant odor.
We talked about fillers that are provided with quality certificates. If you decide to buy a pillow in the market or in other small retail outlets, then there may not be a certificate, and such products will be hazardous to the health of both the mother and the unborn baby. Buy only in serious, reputable stores.
The shape of pillows is one of the main criteria when choosing products. Their form almost completely determines the functionality.
How to use a pregnancy pillow
This is not as funny a question as it might seem. The fact is that unusual forms cause a woman’s surprise and misunderstanding of how to use it. If the pillow is of high quality, then after the first night you will fall in love with it. In the meantime, a few tips:
- Experiment with a new pillow, twist it in different directions, try to adjust it to body parts, see the options.
- Watch a video on the Internet on how to use such pillows.
- Try twisting it in different directions to see the possibilities.
- Lie on it during the day, put it under your back, under your legs to feel relaxation.
- Ask your obstetrician: they should understand pillows too, and they can advise which position is suitable for a comfortable rest for both you and your baby.
After the birth of a child, this pillow will also come in handy for you, and even more. It can be wrapped around the body so that one end is under the back and the other is on the knee to support the baby. With such a support, it will be much easier for you, because feeding does not take 10 minutes.
Microscopic Styrofoam Balls
These are solid polystyrene granules, 0.5–1 mm in size. They are called anti-stress. They have no fragrance. A product with such filling is not deformed during use.
There is a possibility of filler shrinkage, but the smaller the diameter of the balls, the lower this probability. Products with such filling take the form of a pregnant woman’s torso.
Note! This is the best solution for pregnant women who are used to resting on their back or tummy.
Balls have an anti-stress effect.
Who else would like big pillows
Pillows of this kind will be very useful to you while feeding your baby in order to lift him up and free your hands. It makes it possible to apply the baby to the breast comfortably and in different positions. And if you have twins, then this pillow will delight you incredibly, because it will allow you to feed both at once. The baby, who is not yet quite confident in sitting, can be planted, leaning against such a pillow.
This view will make your sleep comfortable and cultural pastime.
- completely covers the whole body;
- Ideal for small beds.
Cons: inconvenient when changing sides, you have to turn the pillow over.
- Marina. I’ve been using horseshoe for over five months now. It is very convenient, I have already settled down to it, as to my own. I washed it 3 times, no lumps are formed, I have a holofiber filler. The manufacturer is good, the price is absolutely lifting. I like that it is big, soft, and at the same time, elastic, it fits nicely to the body if you are wearing a sundress. It is convenient to sit on it in all cases — both at night and during the day, I drag it behind me even into the kitchen, when I sit down to peel potatoes, I am very used to it. I also like to pull out the filler and place it under me. I recommend very much.
- Nina. For me, the main thing is that there are no allergic materials. Because I just start to sneeze. They gave me a pillow for the whole body, I also joked that my husband decided to replace himself. But it is incredibly comfortable, full of comfort. It is so arranged that you can twist it and do whatever you want with it, so I already know which side to crush it in order to put my legs in there, it’s very convenient for me, and at the same time position my back. The price was attractive, although when I saw it, I thought that there would be something cosmic there. Now I advise all my girlfriends, and I even bought one just like that, even though the child is not yet in the project.
- Natalia. I also like the horseshoe. In my opinion, the most convenient. Big, very dense, stuffed up to the ears, I even thought at first that it would not be very comfortable to lie on it. And then I tried it — super, you blur in it and don’t want to get up. Full relax. And I have a couple of weeks before giving birth. I don’t understand yet how I will put the baby here, although it was interesting to read about it. But nothing, we’ll figure it out. The main thing is that the pillow is already there. And my husband said that with this pillow I even stopped getting annoyed.
Covers and pillowcases
It is necessary to pay special attention to covers and pillowcases, because they also affect the proper rest and well-being of a person.
The main requirements for their quality:
- they must be of natural matter. Moreover, the cover is denser so as not to let the filler out. And the pillowcase is soft, skin-friendly;
- the fabric must be dyed with high quality — do not leave color stains on bed linen, do not fade from frequent washing and do not fade when dried in the sun;
- dyes should not contain harmful substances;
- the product must be odorless.
If you already wanted such a pillow, but did not quite understand how to handle it, watch this video.
A woman who is expecting a baby needs care, attention and all sorts of useful things that were unknown to our mothers, but are well known in our time.
Therefore, use them in good health, just pillows for pregnant women will provide you with a restful sleep, and sleep is one of the most important moments for your health and the health of your baby. Now you are connected together, and taking care of the future child, now you should think first of all about yourself.
We wish you a comfortable expectation of the child, so that you have only good memories of pregnancy. And please write to us, have you tried these pillows? Which one did you stop at? What did you think of it?
What fabric is used to make
The accessory case must be durable to avoid damage during operation. For tailoring, poplin, calico or satin is used. A cover made of natural cotton is preferable, since satin and calico have a smooth surface and will slip.
A removable pillowcase is preferably made of natural fiber and is pleasant to the touch. More commonly used:
The choice is influenced by your own preferences and time of year. For example, cotton and linen fabrics are best used in summer, while velor is considered warm and comfortable in cold weather.
An important condition is that the pillowcase should tolerate the washing process well, because with the advent of a little man in the house, stains cannot be avoided.