All electrical appliances break down sooner or later, and the microwave oven is no exception. One of the common problems with it is sparks inside the microwave. Like why does the microwave sparkle inside you will find out in this article. We will tell you about the causes of the problem, as well as about the possibility of repair.
To understand the problem of what to do if the microwave sparks inside, you need to know its device and principle of operation. The basis of the microwave oven is a device called a magnetron. Depending on the operating mode, voltage is applied to it. Under the action of voltage on the magnetron, short energy pulses are emitted. A certain number of waves pass through the waveguide and exit through a hole made inside the microwave oven. For the normal functioning of the microwave, the presence of products inside is required.
It is the products that absorb the emitted microwaves, which can no longer be reflected back into the emitter. Because of reflected waves microwave crackles and the most unpleasant spark occurs.
A little advice — if you heat up a small amount of food inside, then you need to put a glass of water with it, which will take on the excess radiation, this will extend the life cycle of your microwave oven.
Possible Causes of the Problem
Sparking can occur due to some basic factors, below we will talk about them:
- overheated mica plate for microwave;
- there was a violation of the enamel layer of the main chamber;
- there are foreign objects made of metal inside the main compartment.
The very first reason is perhaps the most basic, in which case urgent replacement mica in the microwave. Burning occurs due to the fact that during the heating of food, fat falls on the mica plate, and causes temperature fluctuations in it. If no action is taken, then after the mica, the magnetron, which is very expensive, can also become unusable, and the repair will cost you a pretty penny, and it will be easier for you to buy a new microwave oven than to repair the old one.
In the case of a replacement, the first thing you need to do is go to the store and buy the original part or one that is close to it in terms of characteristics and dimensions. Microwave mica is sold in many hardware or household stores, in extreme cases, you can order it in the online store of the manufacturer of your unit, or on a third-party resource. The main thing that mica for microwave the stove was the right size and was not smaller or larger.
Enamel coating — in order to restore the original layer, you must purchase a special product sold in specialized stores. It is not recommended to paint the inner walls of the chamber with other means. It is best to contact the service center, where they will perform all the necessary operations to replace the internal coating.
As for sparking due to metal objects, everything is simple here, it is worth checking their presence in the main chamber and removing them accordingly.
See also - What dishes are safe to put in the microwave
Repair malfunctions associated with mica
In order to get rid of sparks and prevent further damage, it is necessary to perform the following manipulations:
- dismantle the old unusable plate, for this you need to disconnect the latches or fasteners, it all depends on the manufacturer;
- put this plate on a new one, and use it to cut mica of the appropriate dimensions, if you have more;
- also during the replacement, you can check the protective cap on the magnetron itself and, if necessary, replace it in order to avoid further problems;
- install a new element in place of the old one, and fix it;
- after all of the above, check the microwave oven for its operation. In no case do not check with an empty chamber, this may end badly.
Is it possible to operate a microwave without mica?
Microwave mica is a protective shield for the element behind it — the magnetron, namely its antenna. With careful use of the microwave oven, it can work for some time without this protective screen. To do this, cover all food with special lids.
See also - Do-it-yourself microwave oven repair at home
A few tips and tricks
We told you why the microwave oven sparks inside, and describe what to do. From all of the above, we can conclude that the main cause of a breakdown in a microwave oven is faulty mica, and it needs to be changed, but it is best to leave this work to specialists with experience and the necessary knowledge to repair these devices. But if you still decide to replace the mica plate yourself, you should remember some of the nuances:
- before replacing the mica from the microwave, it is worth clearing the main chamber of food and everything else;
- It is worth remembering that microwave mica is made of a rather fragile material, and it must be handled very carefully. When you cut it, use as sharp objects as possible to do everything quickly and not damage the mica itself;
- when you make holes, then punch them with a drill or punch;
- after you cut the microwave mica, be sure to sand the edges with sandpaper.
The newly installed plate will serve you for a long time, if you cover them with a lid while heating food, this will protect not only the mica, but also the inner walls themselves, since it will be easier to wash the lid itself than the main chamber. Take care of your household appliances.