Causes of an unpleasant odor
There are many reasons for the occurrence, the presence of which can lead to the appearance of unpleasant odors:
- Unpackaged products. There are many foods that, even when fresh, can transfer their smell to the refrigerator.
- Blockage in the defrost system. If you did not pay due attention to the defrosting and drainage systems when washing the unit, they may become clogged, which in turn will lead to stagnation of water and a stink.
- New technique. New equipment can smell completely “non-food” odors — plastic, machine oil or metal.
- Stale food. If you forget to periodically audit the products stored in the refrigerator, you can forget about the long-bought sausage, which after a while will remind you of a very peculiar smell.
How to remove the smell of folk remedies
There are several folk ways, using which you can remove the smell from the refrigerator at home.
- To remove an unpleasant odor will help — vinegar solution. One of the most commonly used odor control agents is an aqueous solution of vinegar essence. First you need to thoroughly wash the refrigerator compartment. Then make a special mixture. Vinegar is mixed with water in a one-to-one ratio, and the inside of the refrigerator is wiped with this mixture, and left open for airing for several hours. After that, wash the refrigerator again.
- You can remove the stink with lemon juice. An unpleasant smell from the refrigerator can be removed at home by rinsing it with a solution of alcohol and lemon juice. Take 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 10 tablespoons of alcohol. You can mix lemon juice with water in a ratio of 1 to 2. Wipe the unit well with a lemon-based solution and put orange or lemon zest in the chamber to fix the effect. Wash the refrigerator after a couple of days.
- Ammonium chloride. Ammonia is an effective remedy for eliminating any odors. The solution is prepared as follows: 1 tablespoon of ammonia is taken and diluted in 1 liter of water. Wipe the refrigerator chamber with this mixture.
- Air ozonizers help remove unpleasant odors and also disinfect the air. If your refrigeration unit is well cleaned inside, but the smell is still present, then the question may arise: “How to get rid of the smell in the refrigerator?”. For these purposes, air ozonizers can be used. This is an electronic battery-powered device that disinfects and removes odors from the air. In addition, odor absorbers could be used. This is essentially a carbon filter, passing through which the air is purified and acquires a natural smell. It is not very difficult to make an absorber and you can assemble it yourself.
- Activated carbon. Activated charcoal and charcoal are great for removing odors. Coal must be crushed, placed in a small box and placed in the chamber of a well-washed refrigerator for about a day. All foreign odors should be gone.
- Black bread. Wash refrigerate. Take a fresh loaf of black bread, cut into small pieces and put a few pieces on each shelf. In such a not tricky way, you can eliminate the smell in the refrigerator.
- Soda. Baking soda can get rid of not very strong odors. Pour a small amount of soda on several plates and arrange so that it is on each shelf.
Using these folk remedies, you will surely be able to solve the problem of how to wash the refrigerator so that there is no smell.See also - How to glue self-adhesive film on the refrigerator
How to wash the refrigerator so that there is no smell?
Another simple way that will help solve the problem forever is how to get rid of an unpleasant smell in the refrigerator. In order to quickly remove extraneous odors from the unit, you need to look through all the products that are inside, throw away old and low-quality ones, and defrost the refrigerator. Thoroughly wash the unit with a solution of vinegar, and then rinse its chamber with clean water. After that, wipe the refrigerator dry, and plug it in. You should also rinse all the shelves with a solution of vinegar, or a solution of vodka with water.
How to remove strong odors inside
If the smell is strong and pungent, then more effort should be made to remove it. A very unpleasant smell can be from rotten meat or spoiled fish. In this case, you will not be able to remove the unpleasant odor with water alone.
Unplug the refrigerator from the mains and remove all food and shelves from it. Take dishwashing detergent and thoroughly wash the refrigerator compartment. It is better if the product has a refreshing fragrance. After that, wash the refrigerator with clean water, and wipe dry with a soft cloth. After that, wipe everything with lemon juice. This method from the first time may not give the desired result, so you should wipe the refrigerator with lemon juice a little more and leave it to be ventilated.
You can buy and install a special device — an odor absorber for the refrigerator. A good refrigerator odor absorber will help you get rid of mold, strong garlic odor, rotten meat or fish.
To quickly and effectively get rid of pungent odors, it is necessary to use professional substances. First, the refrigerator is thoroughly washed, allowed to air out and treated with a special agent. If necessary, the procedure is done several times. The downside of professional remedies is their price, therefore, they should be bought only if folk remedies did not bring the desired result.
See also: How to remove mold from a washing machine?
How to remove industrial smell from the refrigerator
To remove the industrial smell from the refrigerator, it is necessary to thoroughly rinse and disinfect the inside of the refrigerator. To get rid of the unpleasant smell of plastic from a new refrigerator, you must do the following:
- Dissolve soda in water in a ratio of 1 to 4 and rinse the refrigerator compartment.
- Clean and disinfect the inside of the refrigerator using an alcohol solution.
- Ventilate the refrigerator for 10–12 hours, and then leave orange or lemon zest in it for 6–12 hours. Citrus peels are an odor absorber for the refrigerator and their use should completely eliminate the odor.
- Absorbents are an odor absorber for the refrigerator; they are glued to the walls or laid out on the shelves of the refrigerator. With their help, you can very effectively remove unpleasant odors from the refrigerator. The products can provide a comfortable smell for 4 months from the moment of application. This method is very popular in Europe. Before using them, thoroughly wash the refrigerator compartment.
- Special sprayers for cleaning refrigerators. With this hygiene product, you can easily remove all foreign odors in the refrigerator. The spray does not need to be washed off after processing the refrigerator, but the chamber should be washed before processing with a chemical composition.
- Wet wipes are great for cleaning the refrigerator inside and out.
It is worth noting that it is impossible to wash the refrigerator with cleaning products, as they contain abrasive substances and can scratch the surface of the refrigerator compartment.See also - No-frost or drip refrigerator — which is better?