The clothes dryer will not take up much space in the room, bathroom or on the balcony. There are not so many important parameters when buying a dryer, our tips will help you sort them out.
- What are the types of dryers
- Movement features
- How to determine the right dryer size
- How to choose the number of levels and guides at the dryer
- What are clothes dryers made of?
A simple design, often made of a frame and ropes or rods, and a variety of placement options for a clothes dryer will increase the usable area in the apartment.
No. 2. Wall-mounted clothes dryers
Most comfortable, practical and popular Today, the option is wall-mounted dryers. They are installed on strong load-bearing walls and provide enough free space for the transformation of the dryer. These are compact models that save space, but some of them are not designed for heavy loads.
There are several variations of wall dryers:
- inertial folding dryers;
- accordion dryers;
- telescopic dryers;
- elevator type dryers;
- folding dryers;
- the most common stationary dryers.
Inertial folding dryers consist of two parts, which are installed on opposite walls. In one of the parts there is a spinning drum with ropes, in the second — hooks. The ropes are pulled out with very little effort and attached to the hooks. The number of ropes in different models may vary. In the folded version, such a dryer takes up a minimum of space on the wall, and when disassembled, it is a roomy fixture on which you can hang a decent amount of laundry. This option can be called an improved analogue of the stationary ropes familiar to us, which until recently decorated almost every bathroom.
Sliding wall-mounted dryer type “accordion” is attached to only one wall and, if necessary, can be pulled forward thanks to a special mechanism that looks like an accordion. For hanging linen, instead of ropes or strings, tubes with a diameter of 1 cm are used here, so there will be no creases on the linen. The number of tubes may vary and, as a rule, ranges from 5 to 10 pieces. Their width is from 50 cm to 1.2 m, so it is not very convenient to dry bed linen on such devices. When assembled, accordion dryers take up a minimum of space, are considered hardy and can withstand a decent weight of laundry. Such dryers are usually installed in bathrooms, much less often on balconies.
Telescopic dryers similar to accordions in that they also move forward, only the mechanism here is slightly different. You can open them either completely or only partially. These are compact designs, but they can not withstand very much weight, they are suitable for drying underwear, shirts, blouses, socks and other light items.
Lift type dryer is the most versatile model. It can be installed on the balcony and in the bathroom, it takes up a minimum of space, but allows you to hang a large amount of laundry. Some elements of such a dryer can be attached to the ceiling, so it is more correct to call this design wall-to-ceiling dryer. A structure of two planks and several metal tubes (the standard number is 6) is attached to the wall, which, thanks to a special mechanism, are easily lowered to the required height. This option allows you to lower the tube to conveniently hang the laundry, and then raise it to the maximum height so that the drying things do not bother anyone. Moreover, this mechanism allows you to dry things at different levels, providing them with the best ventilation. Each tube rises and falls independently of the others. These dryers are also called “vines”. They are able to withstand weight up to 25 kg and are considered the most modern, thoughtful and comfortable.
Folding dryers have a fairly simple design, can withstand a decent weight. While the dryer is not needed, it is attached to the wall and takes up a minimum of space, even less than a conventional heated towel rail. After washing, such a dryer is thrown back, and the angle of inclination can be any. The process of folding and unfolding takes a moment, it is convenient to use the dryer, the width and number of partitions can vary widely. Usually they are installed in bathrooms, but they will be quite appropriate on the balcony.
The simplest and most traditional option is stationary wall dryer for linen. If there is space in the apartment, then two planks are attached to the walls, between which ropes are pulled. Previously, such structures decorated the entire bathroom, making it difficult for households to move around it, so today these dryers are used mainly on balconies and behind balconies. Improved version — roller dryer, which facilitates the process of hanging things if access to the entire length of the rope is difficult. It is enough just to pull the rope, and thanks to the rollers in the slats, it will easily move from its place, and another part of it will move towards you. Ideal for those who organize drying clothes outside the window or balcony.
There are models with lifting or sliding mechanism. So it is more convenient to both hang up and take off clothes, as well as place the dryer itself. The presence of adjustment and mechanism is typical for wall models.
Among sliding clothes dryers, the most popular are console and inertial ones.
Cantilever clothes dryers
Cantilever structures are a system of crossbars that fold up like an accordion and are mounted on one wall. The system is able to withstand loads, and when folded serves as a convenient holder for towels.
Inertial clothes dryers
Inertial clothes dryers are two blocks that are mounted on opposite walls. For drying, one of the blocks, in which the drum with ropes is located, is pulled out and connected to another. An inertial dryer will be a good interior solution, but not without drawbacks. These include wear, sagging and loss of elasticity of the ropes over time. Therefore, when choosing such a dryer, look at the models with the possibility of replacing this element.
For ceiling models, a liana-type lifting mechanism is used. It is a suspension-tube through which nylon ropes are passed. They are additionally fixed to the wall block with clamps. This allows each tube to be lowered and raised independently. A popular and convenient place to place such a dryer is a balcony. Dryers such as “liana” are easy to use, the difficulty is only in installation.
Number 3. Ceiling-mounted clothes dryers
Such designs save space, but they are a little more difficult to install than wall-mounted ones, so they are used less frequently. The following types of dryers can be attributed to ceiling dryers:
- already mentioned dryers “vines” with height-adjustable tubes. Planks can fasten to the ceilingand then the dryer from the wall turns into a ceiling dryer, but part of the structure will still have to be mounted on the wall for convenience (this is a block with ropes to control the height of the tubes);
- ceiling accordions. Here the principle is the same as with a wall accordion, only the dryer is installed on the ceiling and, if necessary, a block with drying bars is pulled down and fixed at the required height. After hanging the laundry, it can be lifted up so that things do not interfere with free movement. In such dryers, both ropes and tubes can be used, and they are usually located on the same level. The dryer is compact, but it is difficult to dry large laundry on it;
- hanging clothes dryers — a primitive option for hanging the most compact and lightweight wardrobe items. Such a dryer looks like a hook with a bar installed on it, on which clothespins can additionally be attached. These are not very durable and strong dryers, usually made of plastic. Models made of metal and wood show themselves many times better.
There are many variations in terms of design and size.
Tips for the right choice
To make the right choice, consider the following:
- materials from which the clothes dryer is made;
- construction type;
- the size.
- The weight for which it is designed;
Before making the final choice, decide on the goals, objectives and place of use of the product.
The choice of design depends entirely on how you intend to use it. If you do laundry frequently, a lowered hanger or vine is a good choice. In this case, a sliding dryer will also not be the best option, as the mechanism will quickly fail due to constant movement.
In a city apartment with a stable power supply, an electric clothes dryer can be installed on the ceiling. In summer cottages and rural homes, where power outages occur more often, and sometimes there is none at all, consider the option of a mechanical design.
For those interested in reliability, models with fewer moving parts should be preferred.
Ceiling dryers are made from various materials:
- Stainless steel;
The tree provides a strong and reliable frame, but over time it loses its original properties due to constant contact with water. On the other hand, a dryer made of wood is easy to incorporate into the design of a summer house. This is a good solution if you wash infrequently.
Aluminum is a lightweight and durable metal. However, it oxidizes and can cause stains. You need an extra coat of paint. Due to the large weight of the material, it loses its shape over time. Therefore, it is not suitable for bed linen, blankets and bedspreads. Since painting is important in this case, the dryer can be any color, although white is most often used.
Stainless steel is a versatile option. It is durable, waterproof and can withstand heavy loads. The plastic is light but not strong enough. It is best suited for children’s clothing and underwear.
When it comes to the dryer for vines, the material of the ropes and fasteners is important. They can be metal or nylon. Metal is the best choice. If you choose a rope, its thickness must be at least 3 mm.
Fasteners and blocks can also be made of metal or plastic. The plastic parts of the lifting mechanism are damaged very quickly due to frequent use.
Here it is important to evaluate the type of load to which the selected structure will be subjected. The maximum weight is the amount of laundry that can be hung on it.
The most common products have a load capacity of 15 kg. For an average family, this is quite enough. In any case, you need an accessory that is suitable for drying bed linen and duvets.
The longer the dryer, the more it is prone to warping. Therefore, if you need a project 2 meters or more in length, choose the strongest materials: stainless steel, metal cords, cables and fittings.
No. 4. Floor dryers
Floor sliding dryers are a great mobile option that can be installed anywhere, and when folded takes up minimal space and can be easily hidden in a closet, pantry, wardrobe or even behind some piece of furniture. Moving, disassembling and assembling such models is very simple, they can be completely different in size and layout.
To benefits floor dryers include mobility, ease of installation, wide range, compact fold and the ability to withstand heavy loads. The largest dryers, however, can weigh decently, but for ease of movement they are equipped with wheels.
The simplest version of a sliding dryer is one that forms only one plane for hanging laundry with many ropes. In some designs, additional planes can be folded to the sides. Design variations are endless. You can also find on sale vertical floor dryerswhere the planes are located one below the other. The height of such dryers is about 2 m, but can be adjusted, it is convenient to put them in showers.
Designers, having once taken up the modernization of the design of floor dryers, today offer us a lot of interesting options that you don’t even have to hide — when disassembled without linen, they resemble some kind of modern installations.
Tips for using dryers
- Do not hang clothes tightly. The more the fabric will “breathe”, the faster it will dry and will not give off a musty smell.
- Hang outerwear by collars to save space and clothespins.
- Hang trousers, jeans, shorts, etc. from the waist down so they dry faster.
- If the dryer is installed indoors, it is recommended to provide fresh air supply.
- Keep an eye on the condition of the dryer — rusting rods will stain freshly laundered clothes.
No. 5. Portable clothes dryers
Owners of very small apartments can pay attention to portable clothes dryers. They are compact in size, so you can install them anywhere: on the floor, on the battery, on the door, on the bath. Portable dryers can be non-folding and folding. Hanging dryers described above can also be included in this category.
Portable dryers take up a minimum of space, and after the laundry is dry, they can be easily hidden anywhere, but this is the main disadvantage — such a design will not dry many things at a time.
- When installing the dryer, choose a place with a low level of air humidity. If the structure is mounted in the bathroom, then place it away from the shower and bath.
- Before using the dryer, wipe the surface of the product with a damp cloth, keep the design clean. If it has rust or chips, it is not recommended to dry clothes on it, as it may become dirty or shed.
Dryers should be stored in a specially designated place with a normal temperature and an optimal level of moisture. This is necessary to preserve the technical properties of the product. Allow the item to dry thoroughly before folding.
- It is not recommended to frequently fold and unfold sliding and portable structures, because of this, loosening of the mechanism and failure of the dryer may occur.
- To clean electrical appliances, a rag or a soft brush is used, with which the edges of the air ducts and the side walls of the dryer are cleaned.
After cleaning, wipe the surfaces of the machine with a soft cloth. Do not use abrasive products or substances with chlorine.
- To avoid breakage of floor models, hang heavy items on the edges of the dryer, they are stronger and able to withstand heavy loads.
- When buying an electric dryer, pay attention to its fastening, as a rule, such models operate with a minimum noise level.
It is better if the device is equipped with a thermostat. It is possible to mount structures only on a perfectly flat floor.
No. 6. Conventional and electric clothes dryers
In conventional dryers, things dry naturally, in electric dryers the process is accelerated by additional heating. For small apartments, where the disassembled dryer can take up to half the room, accelerated drying will be a bonus. Among the others advantages of electric dryers:
- fabrics after drying have a pleasant fresh aroma, approximately like after drying in the fresh air;
- the ability to adjust the heating power;
- additional functions, such as an ionizer or an ultraviolet lamp.
Among the shortcomings, only electricity consumption.
According to the principle of work such dryers can be divided into:
- models with heated rods. No matter how scary it may sound, the heating of the rods is such that it is not able to provoke a burn — this is about 50–600C;
- dryers with case, inside which warm air circulates, which is ensured by the presence of a heating element and a fan. Such models allow you to dry not only clothes, but also toys, shoes, pillows and other products.
Electric dryers also come in floor, wall and ceiling mount. Wall-mounted dryers are in many ways similar to electric towel warmers, but, as a rule, they involve a retractable design. Floor electric dryers outwardly practically do not differ from conventional floor models, only if necessary they can be connected to the network and receive additional heating.
What are the models
Depending on how much space in the apartment is allocated for regular storage of tools, there are:
- for wall and ceiling mounting, they are securely fastened with screws;
- floor models (with additional folding wings or a single tabletop);
- for a shower cabin: these models are similar to radiators, but larger in size;
- on the bathtub: a sliding element that can be attached to the bathtub wall or placed horizontally on it.
- In the case of sliding models standing on the floor, you can create additional space for drying;
- a radiator suspended from the radiator with hooks;
No. 7. Other types of clothes dryers
Separately, it is worth highlighting dryers for delicates. This is a mesh stretched over a curved frame. On the grid, you can carefully lay out things that require specific drying conditions. This dryer can be installed on a bathtub, ironing board, table or on a conventional dryer, it provides gentle drying and air circulation.
For the street There are many types of dryers available. As a rule, these are stationary structures that serve for years and require only periodic replacement of ropes or wires. Quite an interesting option — street folding dryer “umbrella”, which, if necessary, opens up and forms a lot of space.
Similar to wall-mounted, but removable, fixed for special constructs, heated towel rail, radiator, balcony railing. More detailed below.
Installed on the bath, the water flows directly into the bowl. The user has to lift the product, so aluminum options are preferred.
Gimi Alablock embodies the standard concept. Can be placed on acrylic board. It is used unfolded or installed at an adjustable inclination.
Rope rotary, lift structures are widespread. Products mounted on the railing, remote with tension strings stand apart. Consider special operating conditions: direct sunlight, freezing temperatures in winter, high humidity.
No one wants to get hit on the head with a piece of iron that has fallen from the balcony or “fly” himself, hanging clothes. Do not trust your own and other people’s safety to unknown brands.
Tip: Pay special attention to the load capacity, secure fastening!
The universal elevator is suitable for the bathroom and the loggia.
Internal hanging is secure but takes up space.
Idea Gimi Ring consists in a swivel grill that frees up space.
It is not easy to fix and assemble an external string model on your own, but it is problematic to operate.
Solution for a private yard. Requirements for street modification are:
- Withstand wind loads (stationary — glaciation) without breakage, overturning.
- Resistance to atmospheric precipitation, abrasive action of dust.
- Ease of maintenance: cleaning, removing or replacing elements (hooks, ropes, etc.).
Engineers found the original way out Leifheit: umbrella or spider Linomatic Deluxe turned out to be practical.
Test from foreign users:
Most appliances work on the principle of natural evaporation. Do not require additional costs, cord, extension cord — do not get under your feet. The rate of evaporation of moisture depends on temperature, humidity, air velocity in the apartment (on the balcony).
Water — essentially heated towel rails. They are used when the heating system allows the installation of an additional device or the replacement of an existing one with a larger usable heat transfer area.
Allows you to quickly dry clothes, the power varies. Payment for electricity, binding to the location of the outlet are the costs of choosing an electric dryer.
Russian Domotermin addition to electric towel warmers, offers a floor electric dryer Solo DMT0 EK. Thermocouples inside the tubes provide economical (power 130 W) gentle drying. Operating time, temperature — are set on the control panel.
Outwardly similar electric folding beds differ in the material of the components, the number of heating zones, and power. For example, the aluminum HX-230 from HOTTER is three-zone. Each cross member of 20 contains a heating element inside. True, the power is 230 W, but the increased power consumption speeds up the process by 5 times, compared to a simple dryer. At a temperature of 50 — 60 ° C, any things dry out in 1.5 — 2 hours.
South Korean brand SensPa introduces the advanced ceiling electric dryer Marmi. Electric lowering beams, built-in hair dryer, fan, timer — controlled from a remote control. Up to 30 kg of laundry are blown in the basic mode for 2 hours. Quiet smooth running mechanism with DC motor, lighting, audible alarm, stop when colliding with an obstacle — everything is thought out for the comfort and safety of the client.
- high cost (from 40,000 rubles);
- air blowing is permissible in the absence of a person nearby;
- professional installation and service required.
The task of forced airflow is more efficiently solved by the company Atlanta in the model ATH-5701 (https://www.atlanta-hq.com/garment-steamers-driers/ath-5701.html). In principle, this is a portable heating cabinet: hot air is supplied from the bottom up, where the hangers are located. Significant power (1 kW), soft fencing of the zone — provide express drying. Stored folded.
Disadvantage: small payload — 10 kg.
An attempt to efficiently use the available heat without crashing into the heating circuit. Drying things is accelerated, but the dimensions are limited, convection worsens, battery efficiency decreases. There is a danger of overdrying delicate fabrics up to red tan marks.
Plastic hooks will not scratch the radiator, heat up less than metal ones, but are less durable. However, plastic is enough for an auxiliary dryer. Serious samples are hung on a heated towel rail, for example, Klaus by Arredamenti.
No. 8. Production material
When choosing a clothes dryer, the material of its execution plays a decisive role, affecting the durability, strength and resistance to moisture. Among the most popular options, we highlight:
- aluminum dryers light, but may not be very stable. Over time, aluminum turns black and starts to stain things, so manufacturers have learned to cover it polymer layer. This technique allows you to get rid of all the shortcomings, however, until a crack or chip appears on the coating;
- stainless steel — an ideal version of the dryer, both the supporting elements of the structure and the strings. The material does not rust, it is durable and strong. Among the minuses is a lot of weight (for floor dryers, by the way, this means increased stability) and cost;
- plastic dryers light, cheap, do not oxidize, but short-lived. As a rule, only compact portable, mounted or wall-mounted models are made of plastic, which are designed for drying light products. Floor dryers are less often made of plastic, but hanging a set of bed linen and heavy sweaters on them will not work;
- wooden dryers look good, but not very practical. In order for them to retain their original appearance for a long time, they will have to be regularly covered with protective substances;
- combined models.
Strings for drying clothes can be made of thick, strong thread or fishing line, an alternative is steel or aluminum tubes, which are better because they do not leave creases on clothes.
Wall dryers are designed for drying small laundry. They are installed on the sides of bathtubs, balconies, radiators.
Nika for bathtub 10 m
- It is used to dry clothes without spinning.
- Only suitable for small items
Practical unfolding function. The rail system allows the wash water to drain into the tub. Especially useful when hand washing delicate items. Dimensions 61*71*92 cm with rails 10 m long. Weighs less than 2 kg and has a load capacity of 10 kg wet clothes. This model can also be used as an alternative to the basic dryer.
gimi hinged Radio
- High quality
- Adjustable brackets
- Ideal for drying small items.
Practical dryer for small items or shoes. Thanks to the adjustable handles, it can also be placed on the edge of balconies, bathtubs, doors and radiators. Made of metal and plastic, easy to assemble. Dimensions 35 * 52 * 18 cm, weight only 500 g. Number of rods 5, working length 3 m.
No. 9. The main characteristics of the clothes dryer
When buying a clothes dryer, it is worth considering such important characteristics as:
- common work surface — this is the length of all the rods of the dryer in expanded form. The higher this indicator, the more massive and expensive the model will be;
- number of bars — an indicator that affects the width of the dryer;
- number of tiers. Tiered dryers allow you to place a decent amount of laundry in a small space, they save space, but cost a lot. Floor dryers can have up to 4 tiers;
- maximum load depends on the type of construction and the materials used, when choosing this parameter, you should pay increased attention so that the product will serve you as long as possible. Simple wall models can withstand, as a rule, 5–10 kg of linen, wall-ceiling “vines” and folding floor models — 20–25 kg;
- among additional options dryers worth highlighting transport rollers, which facilitate the movement of heavy floor structures. Wheels are made of rubber, rubber and plastic. Rubber wheels can leave marks on the floor, plastic ones are unstable to mechanical damage, so rubber-coated plastic rollers are the best choice. Wheels must be provided fixativeso that the dryer is stable and does not roll away. Useful additions also include special compartments for drying shoesholders for hangers, protection against accidental closing (provided by latches), as well as the function of installation on the bath, which is implemented through special devices on the legs of the dryer.
Principle of operation
The principle of operation of electrical devices:
- Non-contact devices equipped with special infrared sensors that are triggered when you place your hands under the work area. The degree of sensitivity of the sensor is adjusted using the control device.
Such dryers significantly save the reserve of the mechanical engine of the device due to automatic operation.
- Contact dryers are actuated by a button and work according to the set timer. The devices are easily adjusted to the desired operating mode, regulate the temperature of the hot air supply and the operating time.
No. 10. What else to consider when choosing?
It would seem that everything has already been said, but in the end some more tipswhich will help you find the perfect dryer in all respects:
- when choosing focus on the place where the dryer will be installed. For balconies, dryers “lianas” are excellent, they are also appropriate in the bathroom on a par with wall-mounted dryers, and floor structures are more suitable for living rooms;
- pay attention to the quality of execution of all fasteners and ropes;
- the dryer must be kept clean and wiped regularly with a cloth or sponge;
- among major clothes dryer manufacturers Let’s single out the Swiss company Eurogold with its widest assortment, the Italian Foppapedretti, as well as Gimi, Hausmann, Leifheit, Marta, Zalger and Nika.
The design of the dryer also requires attention, and in this regard, a pleasant surprise awaits us: in stores you can find both fairly simple, conservative models, as well as modern high-tech style dryers, the appearance of which you can not even guess at once about the purpose.
The article was written for the site.
What is the choice based on?
The principles of how to choose a clothes dryer imply the following:
- How often the dryer will be used.
- Dimensions and weight of the laundry to be dried.
- Type, size of the room and its ventilation features.
- Drying method.
- Body material.
A wide range of models allows you to choose the best clothes dryer in terms of functions, corresponding to the apartment space and needs.
The length of the dryers can be distinguished by two parameters: total and for one working rod. If we consider the general parameter for the drying cloth, then it depends on the specific type of product:
The length of the dryers can be distinguished by two parameters: total and for one working rod. If we consider the general parameter for the drying cloth, then it depends on the specific type of product:
- For suspended, this characteristic is not applicable due to the design.
- For dryers per battery, the maximum figure is 3.1 m;
- For floor models, the maximum is 20 m;
- Wall models are presented with a total footage of up to 5 m;
- For ceiling units, the entire drying surface is a maximum of 15 m.
These indicators are completely dependent on the specific model and its device. In this case, when choosing, it is worth relying on two factors — the possibility of installation and the free surface for placement.
Convenient place in the apartment for drying clothes
A balcony or loggia is considered the best option, since the device will be hardly noticeable there, but at the same time the air will have the opportunity to circulate more intensively, which will speed up the drying process. Balcony conditions are inconvenient because in winter, in a poorly insulated or unheated room, laundry can dry much longer or even freeze completely. If possible, it is better to choose a warm space. To install a ceiling-mounted clothes dryer on a balcony, it must be at least insulated and glazed, and ideally heated.
If this is not possible, then installation can be done in the room or in the bathroom. But in the room ventilation is much worse, more particles of dust and dirt will fall on the linen. In addition, the humidity in the room will increase due to fumes, which can be critical for low-quality wallpaper or, for example, wooden finishing materials. In the bathroom, by virtue of its purpose, there are rising layers of steam, which slows down the drying process. But if there are no other options, then it will also work.
How to place the dryer correctly
Before buying a dryer, you need to decide on the location. It is necessary to have clear dimensions of the device, so that later there will be no difficulties with installation. If the apartment allows, then you can buy a floor dryer, because it is more practical and durable.
If the space is not wide, then a folding model will do. After use, it is folded and put away for storage. When buying a folding dryer, it is better to learn how the mechanism works in order to be sure of its durability. Because you will have to lay out the device often.
If the dryer is intended for a small room, then it is better to limit yourself to a floor dryer that is installed vertically. Plastic products are most suitable for the bathroom because they will not rust from dampness.
In addition, they are lightweight and compactly placed in a small space. If you plan to move the dryer, then you need to choose a model with roller wheels.
Factors to consider when buying
- A cheap design breaks down quickly, so it’s better to look at a more expensive counterpart. So you can save money even though the dryer is more expensive.
- If the device will be placed in a room with high humidity, then it is better to buy a plastic or stainless steel dryer.
- It is necessary to clarify how much weight the dryer can withstand, because for a large family it is better to take a durable model.
- In order for the fixture to fit well into the interior of the room, you need to choose neutral colors or give preference to aesthetic options.
- It is advisable to inspect the assembly and extension mechanisms even in the store, so that later there are no misunderstandings and have an idea of what to change them for in case of breakage.