Do not know what happened to your washing machine, because of which it began to jump, vibrate strongly and make uncharacteristic sounds? Perhaps she moved off her legs or became wrong. But also a strong vibration can indicate a more serious problem that needs to be fixed immediately. So that might be causing the noise. Let’s try to figure it out before this problem worsens.
Why does the washing machine jump when spinning
There are a lot of reasons why the washing machine jumps and makes louder noises. Let’s look at what problems can cause a strong vibration of the washing machine:
- When washing, small objects can get between the drum and the tub, for example, sometimes we can wash things with coins, paper clips, bed linen with pins or small buttons and fasteners.
- If during installation the transport bolts were not unscrewed.
- The laundry is incorrectly distributed in the drum of the machine (found in older models of washing machines).
- If your motor is broken.
- The washer is not correctly installed on the supports.
- Check to see if the bearings are damaged.
- Springs and shock absorbers are faulty or badly worn.
- Another reason may be a weakening of the fastening or deformation of the counterweight.
See also - The washing machine constantly draws water and immediately drains — what to do?
The problems are diverse, and it is very difficult to immediately find out what could cause strong vibrations. Therefore, it would be more rational to exclude, first the simplest options, the washing machine rattles and shakes. What to do to find out the simple reasons why the washing machine jumps during the spin cycle:
- Look closely to see if the linen is wrapped in a knot, it often happens that small items of clothing are clogged in a duvet cover or sweaters.
- It should be checked whether the amount of laundry in the machine exceeds the maximum allowable. For each washing mode and machine models, different allowable indicators are possible.
- Noise can occur when things take up more than 2/3 of the drum volume.
In such cases, some washing machines are equipped with a special sensor that displays errors of the type: UE or UB.
How to install a washing machine so that it does not jump?
Strong vibrations can often be caused by incorrect installation or typical mistakes, especially when the equipment is installed by non-professionals or the installation is done by yourself. The most typical mistake is the transport bolts, which simply forget to remove or install the device unevenly or put it on a slippery surface (tile), which causes staggering and, as a result, loud noise.
Why does the washing machine jump when installed incorrectly and what to do:
- The first step is to remove the transport fasteners. They are installed to fix the drum so that it is not damaged during transportation. If they are not removed, the drum will spin, but its wear will be greatly increased, and the operation of the device itself will be accompanied by strong vibration and bouncing.
- Make sure that the equipment is installed strictly according to the level. To do this, you can twist the legs and adjust their height. When spinning, the machine enters into resonance and can even move around the room, so it is not recommended to leave faulty equipment in working condition unattended.
- After the installation is completed, check if the device is staggering. Any, even the slightest stagger, can lead to bouncing. If the washing machine staggers, then it will have to be leveled.
Even if the equipment will be installed by professionals, it is better to check these nuances yourself to make sure that everything is in order. Be sure to test the operation after installation. Such actions will help you save time on the subsequent re-call of the installers so that they fix the problem and not wonder what to do so that the machine does not make frightening sounds.
Defective shock absorbers
It is necessary to inspect the shock absorbers, which serve to mitigate shocks when the drum moves, reduce loads and dampen vibrations. If the unit vibrates a lot or jumps, then the shock absorbers may need to be replaced. Shock absorbers are mounted together with spring mechanisms, but if only shock absorbers are worn out, they can be replaced separately, if the springs are out of order, then you will have to change everything at once. Over time, shock absorbers wear out, and they cannot be repaired — they must be changed immediately. Wear can be uneven, but if only one is defective, both shock absorbers must be replaced so that there is a balanced load distribution.
Look for small things stuck under the drum. If they are, then you have to get them. For example, a bone from a bra or a paper clip can be easily reached if you pick it up with something, you can make something like a hook, which will be convenient to pull out small parts. If smaller parts that cannot be reached are stuck, you will have to disassemble the washing machine. To do this, you need to remove the heating element, drum and some other parts. If you have never disassembled washing machines, then it is better to call a master who will do it as quickly as possible, which will save you a decent amount of time, but most importantly, it is safe for equipment.
See also — Bra bone got into the washing machine
Problems with mounting counterweights
If the washing machine began to vibrate strongly and jump, you need to check the operation of the counterweight. We open the cover at the top of the device, for this you may need tools, it will be enough to use keys, a screwdriver and pliers. We look at the state of the counterweight, it is a weighting agent, which is made of different materials. Such parts are installed at the top and bottom of the washing machine. They can be made of concrete, cast iron, or other heavy material.
What to do next:
- We look at the fasteners, if they are loose, then you will need to tighten them.
- If you can’t tighten the fasteners, you will have to purchase and install new ones.
- If the weighting agent itself is deformed, it is impossible to do without replacing it with the same one.
One of the reasons why a machine can jump is a bearing failure. The replacement process is technically complex, so it is better to call a master who can do this job with high quality. If you still want to do it yourself, then you will need more information about this process, so you can read the corresponding article about it.
Bearing failures are not uncommon. The main reasons for the failure of this part are due to the fact that the metal from which the elements are made breaks down over time due to exposure to water. When the bearings begin to collapse, the operation of the apparatus will first be accompanied by increased vibration and noise, and then the drum may completely jam.
When the bearing is just starting to break down, it is quite difficult to identify problems. Usually, professionals can tell about the wear of a part by sound, but for this you need to have experience and knowledge. But when the bearing is already badly damaged, you can move the drum. When it moves in different directions, it says that it’s time to call the master to replace the worn bearing.
What can be said in the end? It turns out that the washing machine is a complex system that needs professional help to fix technical problems and it is worth contacting qualified specialists with experience and knowledge to quickly and effectively fix the problem.