The range hood is a very popular household appliance these days. For many, the need for a hood in the kitchen is absolutely obvious. After all, when cooking food, a large amount of fat, smoke and the smallest food particles fly into the air, which not only pollute the room, but also harm health. As a rule, an air purifier in the form of a hood in the kitchen is installed during repairs. Unfortunately, even if it is operated as carefully as possible, it inevitably fails over time. And then the owner has to solve the problem in one of two possible ways: he contacts a service center that repairs kitchen hoods or does everything with his own hands.
How is the hood set up?
The layout of a standard kitchen hood is very simple — this is the most common exhaust type fan, which is installed directly above the stove, and has an electric motor. Additional filters are also placed in this device to trap harmful fumes coming from the stove during cooking. Hoods are filtering and output type.
- Filtering, it is also a coal, household kitchen hood is the simplest device, so its cost is much cheaper. How to install a kitchen hood, and you can always repair it with your own hands. It works according to the principle of recycling, i.e. dirty air after cleaning in the hood is thrown back into the room. The cleaning element is carbon filters.
- The outlet extracts are connected to ventilation shafts for the complete removal of polluted air from the kitchen. Such a device is more perfect in comparison with a filter one, and a grease trap is installed in it. Extractor hoods require a good ventilation system, but you can also repair them yourself. If there is a ventilation shaft, then air is thrown into it. If there is no channel, then during the installation of the hood, specialists install a pipe that goes straight to the street.
Modern models operate in 2 modes. Most of them have a multi-speed electric motor, which are characterized by low power, but their rotational speed can be adjusted. Try to choose a kitchen hood with a decent margin of power. Indeed, over time, as a result of filter contamination, the efficiency of the hood decreases markedly, it can only be compensated by increasing power.
You should also regularly inspect the grease trap and, as it gets dirty, change it in a timely manner, this is done easily, with your own hands. If you ignore this rule, the work of the hood can be nullified. The average frequency of replacement of grease traps is 3–4 months. But if the shutter speed is used very intensively, this should be done more often. In filter hoods, the service life of carbon filters reaches one and a half to two years. The device can break down for a variety of reasons, respectively, and the repair of a kitchen hood can vary significantly. Consider the main breakdowns and action algorithms.
The hood does not pull and does not eliminate odors well
This can happen if the device is not being used correctly. In order for the hood to effectively cope with odors, it must be turned on in advance, before cooking, and turned off 15 minutes after turning off the stove, and not immediately. By following this elementary rule, you will be able to permanently get rid of unpleasant odors in the kitchen. A fairly common cause of such a “breakdown” is a belated change of filters. Also, carbon filters may simply not work effectively. To repair the hood, the filter must be disassembled, after removing it, and the coal granules must be replaced with new ones.
To change the grease trap with your own hands, you need to remove the grate and put it face down, after which you can remove the old dirty filter. The grate should be washed thoroughly with detergent and a new grease trap should be fixed on it. Disposable grease traps differ from reusable ones in that they have an inscription that is perfectly visible even through the bars. When the filter becomes so dirty that it is time to change it, the inscription is no longer visible. Fiber filters are reusable, after washing and drying they can be returned to their place, and this can be done repeatedly. Every time you carry out this procedure, you need to thoroughly rinse the grate.
See also: do-it-yourself cooktop repair
Extractor does not turn on
- The stove lighting does not work. If there is no lighting, and the fan is working, then, most likely, the bulb just burned out. But if changing the light bulb does not solve the problem, then the light switch is faulty.
- The extractor does not turn on at all. There may be several reasons: for example, the device is unplugged or there is no power in the outlet.
- Exhaust switch defective. You can check this with a tester, and in case of a breakdown, replace it.
- There is no electricity. You need to check the electrical box. Maybe the switch has automatically tripped or the fuses have blown.
- The power plug is defective. The fork fuse may have blown. You can replace it yourself.
- Breakage in the internal wiring. The examination should be carried out with the help of a tester, along the way pulling loose contacts and pressing the tips with pliers.
- The electric motor broke down. In this case, it is useless to start repairs; the engine on the hood just needs to be completely replaced. Trying to repair it in most cases is not economically viable. Buying a new exhaust motor will be cheaper, more efficient and much smarter.
This article has listed the main breakdowns of modern kitchen hoods for the home. You have already seen that most failure cases are simple and do not require the intervention of specialists. A completely inexperienced person can usually fix a broken kitchen hood with their own hands, even if you need to change the engine. Therefore, there is no point in contacting a service center and paying decent money for mere trifles. In addition, kitchen hoods of well-known, proven brands do not really break during normal use and regular filter changes, they serve regularly for many years. A little attention and care of the kitchen hood will make it much easier for you to take care of the kitchen and the whole house, and make the microclimate in your home much healthier.