The choice of ultralight spinning is a crucial moment. While in the store, it is important not to get confused and thoroughly study the characteristics of each model. It is also worth considering the features of the reservoir on which fishing is planned.
This will help you choose the most suitable form, which will allow you to comfortably engage in fishing and will not let you down when playing lively fish. Below you can see the rating of the best ultralight spinning rods for different types and conditions of fishing.
TOP 10 ultralight blanks for coastal fishing
When choosing an ultralight spinning rod for coastal fishing, it is worth giving preference to blanks, the length of which is in the range of 2.13–3.2 m. If you plan to perform long-distance casts or catch rivers from a steep bank, it is better to purchase a rod 3.2–3.5 m long. Longer spinning rods are rare guests among Uletchikov and it is advisable to use them when fishing on large reservoirs.
Which spinning action is best for ultralight, as well as test and other parameters
Manufacturers make blanks from fiberglass, carbon fibers and composite materials. The strongest and most durable rods are considered to be models made of carbon and composite. The tip of the whip must be sufficiently thin (within 1.5 mm). The handle (knob) can be of different shapes, the most important thing is that it fits well in the hand.
It is recommended to purchase models whose test does not exceed 7 grams. The action can be medium (when fishing for trout) or fast / ultra-fast (perch, chub, ide).
Below you can see the rating of the best ultralight blanks for coastal fishing:
- Maximus Ichiro MSI22UL. The budget model allows you to easily perform accurate casts over long distances. The manufacturer makes the handle from EVA materials. The tackle is perfect for fishermen who use light weight baits, works well with micro wobblers, micro spinners.
- Salmo Elite Microjig 10 2323-213 – a model of ultralight spinning, characterized by a particularly sensitive tip and a comfortable handle. The length of the blank, which is able to keep the wobbler well in the course, reaches 2.13 meters. The rod action is fast. The manufacturer manufactures spinning rods from high-modulus graphite, which provides an increased level of strength.
- Shimano diaflash bx light 80 ul. The rod tip is super sensitive. Shimano Diaflesh is suitable for catching pike, zander and perch. The plug-in design is durable, thanks to which the angler can sharply hook the fish at the moment when he swallows the bait.
- Crazy Fish Arion ASR762S‑L — a rod that is suitable for working with baits, the mass of which is in the range of 3–12 grams. The build of the blank is ultra-fast. With this flying blank, you can twitch wobblers and drive spinners and catch with micro jig.
- Graphiteleader Finezza Prototype GFPS-722L‑T — lightweight model, characterized by an increased level of strength. The length of the rod reaches 2.18 meters. The price tag bites.
- VOLZHANKA Stiletto 2.0 meters, 0.5–5 grams. The budget model pleases with flexibility and durability. Volzhanka is suitable for catching parts of the reservoir from the coastline.
- Maximus Ichiro MSI18UL – a well-balanced spinning rod that will appeal to anglers who prefer to work with ultra-light baits. Thanks to the “tulip” design, the risk of line overlapping is prevented.
- Favorite Blue Bird 2021 BB16-682SUL‑S — ultra-light tackle with ultra-fast action. The tip of the rod is sensitive. The spinning is strong enough, so when playing a large fish, you don’t have to worry about the tackle breaking.
- Golden Catch Flick FLS-682ULS 0.3–4 grams – a flexible rod that allows you to easily cast long distances with ultra-light baits. The manufacturer equipped the Golden Catch Flick FLS-682ULS with anti-tangle light guides, which helps to reduce friction and increase the life of the cord.
- SALAMANDER MAYS-702UL. The length of the rod is 2.1 m. The action of the ultralight is medium. You can use light baits for catching a predator — spinners and micro jig. Wobblers will be difficult.
Ultralight spinning rods, which are included in the top 10, really differ not only in durability and increased sensitivity, but also in a long service life.
How to choose the first ultralight spinning rod for beginners — up-to-date information for 2021 from a professional:
Underestimated ultralight spinning test
It must be said that spinning rods, even from the most famous manufacturers, often do not meet the stated test. For example, many spinning rods produced by American companies suffer from underestimated tests.
For example, take the spinning G.Loomis SR 841–2. With the declared upper test limit of 3/16 oz (5.25 g), it easily copes with a load that is almost twice the upper limit, and works with baits with a mass in the region of 8 — 9 g. Moreover, it “works” — it not only casts, but also makes it possible to comfortably control the bait. What is it, protection from the “fool”, reinsurance of the manufacturer, when a spinning rod with obviously high power and test characteristics is presented as an ultralight?
Spinning rods of this kind are able to forgive many mistakes for beginners and not so spinning players. Due to the power and test inherent in them. Whether this is good or bad is ultimately up to us, the consumers. But a beginner, of course, can be recommended to start with American spinning rods.
Apart from the American manufacturers, I would like to single out perhaps a new series of Lamiglas Appalachian spinning rods. But we will touch on these and other spinning rods in more detail later.
TOP 10 ultralight blanks for boat fishing
When going fishing from a boat, it is worth deciding what type of fish you will be fishing for. If you plan to catch asp, then the length of the spinning rod should be at least 2.5 meters, since even from a boat you will need to perform long-range casts.
For angling perch, chub, sichel, it is allowed to use tackle, the length of which reaches 1.9–2.5 meters. The action of the rod should be fast, however, if you plan to use only micro jig, it is better to purchase a blank with a medium action. It is recommended to buy models whose test does not exceed 5–7 grams.
The top 10 ultralight spinning rods for fishing from a boat include the following models:
- Favorite New Spirit NEW. A short rod is perfect for catching perch and pike from a boat. Due to the sufficient flexibility of the tackle, the fisherman has the opportunity to effectively work out the jerks of the fish with resistance.
- Favorite X1 — an ultralight model, for the manufacture of which the manufacturer uses high-modulus carbon. Spinning is suitable for twitching stubborn rolls and minnows.
- Favorite Skyline NEW 3–14 grams is an ideal spinning option for micro jig fishing. The rod is strong enough.
- Graphiteleader Limited Edition Zanna — a kind of jig tackle with a wide test range, so anglers have the opportunity to experiment with different lures. The price tag bites.
- Siweida DOMINATOR NEW — a two-section delicate tackle that allows you to easily fight even trophy specimens.
- Siweida EXCLUSIVE BLACK – a budget spinning rod with a fast action, equipped with a convenient reel seat. Great option for jig fishing.
- SWD Hooligan NEW — a rod designed for fishing rainbow trout. This model can be used for jigging. Spinning action is fast.
- SWD Rudra. The manufacturer manufactures pole rods based on high-quality Hi-Carbon material. Spinning is durable and quite sensitive.
- White Bird WBR1-762UL‑T — a high-quality budget model that copes with the wiring of ultra-light baits — spinners, jig baits, wobblers.
- Favorite Impulse New IMP-762UL‑T — spinning for jig fishing, which is characterized by increased sensitivity and durability.
Advice! When choosing tackle, it is important to carefully inspect the blank and insert rings for defects.
Characteristics of modern ultralight spinning
As I said earlier, spinning is a rather complex engineering product. Insignificant — at first glance — little things and details in ultralight spinning rods can have the most significant impact on the overall operation of the spinning rod.
In spinning rods for ultralight baits, 4 main characteristics can be noted:
1. lure spinning test;
2. spinning test according to the line used;
3. spinning length;
4. spinning system.
I don’t think it’s worth dwelling on the material from which our ultralight spinning rods are made. There have been a great many articles on this subject. Yes, the Internet is full of information. It is clear that the manufacturers will not tell us everything. As a result, I can say that today it is hardly possible to find a worthy alternative to carbon fabric.
Design delights can be left last. But in terms of aesthetic perception, this is quite an interesting topic, and we will touch on it a little in the future.
By and large, all the above characteristics (tests, length, action), as well as their influence on one another, plus casting distance, sensitivity, etc., should be considered as a whole. But on the other hand, it can turn out to be a rather difficult to digest article, everything is so strongly interconnected and intertwined. Therefore, we will try to simply talk separately on each item.
TOP 10 budget ultralight forms — ultralight for beginners
For beginners who are just starting to master the tricks of fishing, it makes no sense to purchase expensive models of UL spinning rods, especially since their prices are higher than for medium models. Below you can find the rating of budget ultralight spinning rods, which will please you with durability, high sensitivity and reasonable cost.
- Mikado Matrix 888 Ultralight Spin. The length of the blank reaches 3.05 meters. The manufacturer makes the rod from MX‑9 carbon fiber. The presence of a Kevlar braid increases the strength of the tackle.
- Shimano Force Master — a model made of thin crystalline carbon fiber. The fittings of the rod are of high quality, however, the level of sensitivity is average. This should be taken into account when buying.
- Shimano Catana CX 210UL. 1–11 grams. The length of the blank, made of durable composite material, is 2.1 meters. Cork handle. This model is of high quality and good sensitivity. A very rigid tip allows you to twitch minos up to 8 grams. Must be operated with care. It is very afraid of impacts, the material is fragile and not impact-resistant.
- Favorite White Bird WB-682UL‑S — lightweight and comfortable blank, which is made of carbon fiber / carbon fiber. Using this ultralight, the angler will be able to cast long distances with ease.
- Daiwa Spinmatic — Graphite blank is plastic. The cork handle is comfortable, the fittings are of high quality. The model is suitable for perch and trout fishing. The travel version of the ultralight spinning rod is convenient to transport, there is a special case.
- Salmo Kraft MICROJIG. The action of the ultralight rod is medium-fast. The length of the form reaches 2 meters. The handle is made of EVA materials. Special micro jig model.
- Select Luna. The tackle build is medium-fast. The rod works great with non-stubborn wobblers, light spinners and small sized wobblers.
- Favorite Arena – ultralight with a slow action is suitable for anglers who are engaged in trout fishing.
- Lucky John Vanrex MICROJIG — ultralight for jig fishing. Build gear fast. The tubular apex is sensitive.
- Favorite Expert — ultralight blank with medium action. Spinning is durable and quite sensitive.
The best budget ultralight spinning rods:
A wide range of budget ultralight models will allow each fisherman to choose the most suitable option for himself.
How is it different from other types
Spinning rods of the ultralight category differ from rods of light, medium and heavy classes in several ways:
- handle length and design.
Ultralight models have an upper test range of 7g, which is necessary for casting and good control of miniature lures. It is almost impossible to throw a wobbler or jig weighing 1–2 g with coarse tackle at the required distance.
The length of the “sticks” of the ultralight class rarely exceeds 2.3 m. This is due to the fact that it is much easier to give the bait a delicate animation with a short spinning rod. The small spinning reels used for this method of fishing are optimally combined with short rods.
All spinning rods of this class are trying to make it as light as possible, which is necessary to increase sensory. The handle length on ultra-light models is much shorter than on heavier classes, this is due to:
- maintaining an optimal balance;
- with a certain casting technique;
- in a more delicate manner.
Skeptical anglers claim that only small fish can be caught on ultralight — this is fundamentally wrong. Large representatives of the ichthyofauna also show interest in small baits, and in the case of low feeding activity of the predator, miniature baubles and wobblers often turn out to be the only panacea for pecking.
Many fishermen consider such tackle to be too fragile and believe that they cannot pull out a significant trophy. Modern blanks are made of materials that are very resistant to bending, so with proper fighting and a well-tuned “friction” of the reel, it is almost impossible to break them. Damage usually occurs due to improper transportation.
Universal ultralight blanks
It is difficult to find an angler who would not like to purchase a universal UL spinning rod. When choosing a form, it is important to pay attention to the system. It is better to give preference to gear with medium-fast and fast action. The length of the rod should be within 2–2.4 meters, depending on the characteristics of the reservoir and the type of fishing. When choosing universal ultralights, you should give preference to models whose test does not exceed 5–7 grams.
The best universal ultralights for 2021 are:
- Salmo TIOGA 2,13 m U‑Light — reliable tackle, suitable for catching fish on wobblers and spinners;
- Graphiteleader Calzante EX GOCAXS-732UL‑T — graphite blank, characterized by high sensitivity and the presence of a comfortable handle;
- FAVORITE White Bird WB-682UL-S — plug-in blank 2.04 meters long with fast action;
- Favorite Balance BLC-602UL — practical, reliable tackle of good quality, which is suitable for fishing with wobblers, light turntables and spoons;
- Select Luna LUN-OS-602UL – a universal rod with a medium-fast action.
These blanks are of good quality and durability.
In small reservoirs there is a very serious concentration of pike. Usually we are talking about fish aged 1 — 3 seasons, up to a kilogram in weight. Catching a toothed predator in such places on an ultralight is a real pleasure. On a light rig, even such modest specimens are a lot of fun.
The catch can be released back, grow further. If the reservoir is small, some kind of floodplain lake, then the pike can be relocated to a neighboring large reservoir, where the best food supply and prospects for growing into a hardened individual. Several tails can be taken for food. From a young pike, a good ear, aspic, and in a stew it is incomparable. Do not take candid pencils, at least from 400 — 500 g.
The whole breadth of the spectrum of ultralight baits is used. Tastes of fish change in different water bodies and at different times. You can always persuade a toothy one, then to a jig, then to a wobbler, then to a lure. Don’t forget about the metal leash. Here it is required.
It happens that a really serious pike pecks at a small bait. This is the key to an impressive fight. More often it ends in favor of the fish. In any case, the adrenaline will go through the roof. If you still manage to emerge victorious, then this will be the trophy of the season!
Ultralight Blanks for MicroJig: Selection Criteria and Top 5 Models
Not every fisherman succeeds in mastering microjig fishing perfectly. It is very important not only to thoroughly study the technique of fishing, but also to choose the right form, which should be super sensitive.
For beginners, it is better to purchase tackle with a fast system. In the process of fishing, the angler most often does not cast long distances, so the recommended rod length is in the range of 1.8 — 2.5 meters. The weight of the form should be small so that the sensitivity is greater. The blank test for beginner fishermen reaches 0.5–6 grams. For professionals, models with a test of 1–7 grams are suitable.
The best models of ultralight spinning rods for micro jig are:
Note! Blanks made from high modulus carbon become very brittle at low temperatures.
Spinning ultralight telescopic Fishing Jehad:
Ultralight Blanks for Micro Lure Fishing: Selection Criteria and Top 5 Models
When purchasing an ultralight for bait fishing, you should give preference to universal blanks, the length of which is in the range of 2.1–2.4 m. This rod will comfortably cast and fish. The test should reach 1.5–10 grams, and the action should be medium or medium fast. It is much easier to work with spinners with such blanks than extra fast ones.
The top 5 best ultralights for lure fishing include the following models:
The fittings of the listed models of blanks are of high quality. The service life of gear is long.
Medium geresh are also caught on ultralight. In progress are:
- small castmasters;
They fish on rifts and shallows, where the asp robs, chases the fry. It is clear that the most serious individuals do not often fall for small snags. Yes, and somewhere in this class up to an asp of 5 — 6 kg. Even a 1–2 kg sheresper gives a serious fight. When you take it to ultralight, a pleasant jitters are felt for a long time. That’s why we love this class of gear.
Ultralight blanks for microwobblers: selection criteria and 5 best models
For fishing with microwobblers, universal blanks with a test of up to 7–12 grams, depending on the weight of the bait, are perfect. If you plan to fish from a boat, you should buy a rod 1.9–2.2 meters long. In cases where fishing is carried out from the shore, you can use spinning rods, the length of which is in the range of 2 — 2.5 m. When fishing on microwobblers from areas overgrown with shrubs, it is better to give preference to short forms of 1.8 m.
When using microwobblers with their own game, it is allowed to use blanks with a slow system. In other cases, the system should be medium or fast.
The best ultralights for microwobblers are:
- Maximus Legend‑X 18UL with fast action;
- Kosadaka Lighting 210UL, characterized by increased sensitivity;
- Daiwa Spinmatic Tuflite is a strong and fairly soft rod;
- Major Craft Basspara is a popular fast action blank;
- Norstream Areal AR-60L Gunslinger is a spinning rod that perfectly dampens jerks and detects fish.
The listed models of spinning rods can be used for fishing with microwobblers both from the shore and from a boat.
Ultralight blanks for trout fishing
For trout fishing, spinning rods with medium-fast and fast / very fast action are suitable. Depends on what kind of bait you plan to fish with. For micro oscillators, the average fast medium action of ultralight spinning, for wobblers — fast, for stubborn rolls and miniminnow twitch — extra fast.
By purchasing such a rod, the fisherman can easily cast the bait over a long distance and instantly hook. The recommended length of the form is 1.6 — 2.5 meters. The test should be within 1–7 gr, 1–4 gr, 0.5–5 gr.
The best ultralight models for trout fishing are:
- Fishing ROI Paradox — test 1–7 gr, fast action;
- Fishing ROI Warlock — test 1–7 gr, fast action;
- Fishing ROI Slim — test 0.8–4 g, very fast action;
- Favorite White Bird New — test 0.5–5 g, moderately fast action;
- Select Luna — test 0.5–5 gr, fast action.
Advice! It is advisable to use short blanks when fishing trout from a boat or in the case of fishing in an area overgrown with bushes.
Ultralight spinning equipment — choice of reel, cord, accessories
Spinningists prefer spinning reels. It is important to choose lightweight designs. The optimal weight of the coil for ultralight are models whose mass does not exceed 200 grams. Heavy structures do not allow you to appreciate all the advantages of the rod.
The size of the spool for ultralight gear should reach 1000–2000. If you plan to catch trophy specimens, you should give preference to models with a spool with a capacity of 2500. But this is already a light version and a completely different story.
When choosing a reel, you should pay attention to ensure that the move is smooth and soft. The laying of the fishing line must be carried out with high quality.
The following coil models are suitable for ultralight:
- Salmo Diamond Spin 6;
- Salmo Supreme Sniper;
- GC Sprinter;
- Ryobi Virtus;
- Stinger ForceAge Neo 1003.
Ultralight tackle is completed with monofilament fishing line or braided line. Braid is able to withstand a large breaking load, but it is more noticeable in water. If monofilament fishing line is used, then a variant with a diameter of 0.12 to 0.14 mm is suitable. It is better not to purchase thinner options, since their breaking load will not be enough to free the tackle in case of hooks.
If the fisherman uses microbaits for catching fish, you should give preference to braids of small diameter. The optimal indicator in this case will be 0.06 — 0.1 mm.
Manufacturers produce 2 types of braids that can be used for ultralight tackle:
- braided cord;
- Braid, soldered by heat treatment.
Braided cords have minimal stretch and are quite soft to the touch. Brazed braids are rigid and not extensible. It should be borne in mind that option 2, with active use, is covered with microvilli and increases in thickness. This does not affect the strength, but the casting distance will be reduced.
The most popular models of braids for ultralight are: YGK G‑Soul X‑3, Varivas Light Game Mebaru, Berkley Nanofil.
Nanofil is one of the most popular lines for the Uletchki
Lures can be equipped with a variety of hooks, namely:
To equip large oscillating lures / wobblers, experienced fishermen advise using tees that provide reliable hooking.
The following types of lures are suitable for fishing on ultralight:
- Spinners. The optimal size for ultralight are weight indicators up to 4–6 grams. Wiring should be monotonous with infrequent changes in speed. When choosing spinners, you should consider options such as Pontoon 21 SYNCHRONY 1.5, Pontoon 21 Ball Concept 0, Mepp’s Black Fury.
Meps chub set
- Micro oscillators, which work qualitatively when fishing on the current. Wiring is used varied with pauses and sharp twitches. It is recommended to give preference to models up to 5 cm. The best vibrations are: Smith Heaven 3, Smith Pure 3.5, Skagit Designs Pri Spoon.
- Minnow wobblers. An effective bait that can attract the attention of a predator. Minnows 3–7 cm in size are suitable for ultralight fishing. When choosing, you should consider options such as Mighty Pepper 35SP, Pontoon 21 Crackjack, Sugar Minnow 40F and numerous other models.
- Cranky. This type of wobblers is characterized by active play on a uniform wiring. The bait is suitable for fishing on the current. The best crank models include: Smith Camion, Raiden Maguro Active Crank, Raiden Mini Fat, Salmo Hornet, Zipbaits Baby Hickory, Akara Mini Crank.
Krenk May beetle — effective in late April-May
When collecting ultralight spinning, the ideal balance is important — the index finger in front of the stand for attaching the reel to the blank: the spinning does not collapse either to the tulip or to the butt
Jig baits can be equipped with various types of weights. Fishermen actively use the classic jig head and cheburashka. The main types of equipment in addition to the jig head include:
- Cheburashka. A hook is mounted on the sinker through the winding ring.
- Texas rig. Sliding weights are attached to the main cord. After that, a stop bead is installed and a leash with bait and hooks is tied to the tip.
Texas and Carolina
- Retractable leash. The sinker is attached to the tip of the cord, and the leash is slightly higher than it.
Ultralight spinning for beginners — choice, equipment, how to catch — video tips from an expert:
Almost every modern angler has an ultralight spinning rod. The use of such gear allows you to easily perform long-distance casts. If you choose the right rod, then the process of playing will leave a lot of positive impressions.
The ultra-light blank dampens jerks while playing prey ashore. After reviewing the rating of the best gear, which are of high quality and sensitivity, you can choose the most suitable option for yourself.