What to do if the washing machine does not drain water? Before determining the reason why the washing machine stopped draining water, you should understand the principle of operation of draining water from the tank. The main device in this case is a pump, which is an engine with an impeller attached to it. When the engine rotates, the water is drained through the hose into the sewer system. Therefore, a pump breakdown can be called the first cause of a drain violation. But in practice there are many other reasons that affect the operation of the washing machine. Let’s consider the main ones.
Causes of a washing machine failure
- It is likely that the owner has no reason to be alarmed. First of all, it is necessary to clarify whether the washing mode is set correctly. A number of models of washing machines are equipped with a “no-drain mode” option, which the user could accidentally press. Therefore, you need to make sure that this option is not selected.
- The washing machine drain hose should be carefully inspected for kinks and blockages that can significantly affect the operation of the washing machine. At the same time, for the purpose of prevention, it is recommended to clean the hose and check the clogging of the siphon (in case of draining water through it).
- One of the answers to why the washing machine does not drain water well or does not drain at all may be that the filter is dirty with various small objects. This can make it difficult, and sometimes completely stop draining. Before starting the cleaning steps, it is worth remembering that water may leak as a result of removing the filter. Clogging the filter should be given special attention, as this can cause more serious damage to the machine. The procedure for cleaning the drain filter is provided for in the instructions for use, so this must be done regularly.
- One of the reasons for the breakdown of the machine can be things (socks, etc.) or items of clothing that are stuck in the nozzle and therefore the water does not leave the washing machine.
- This difficulty arises due to a malfunction of the pump, which can be easily recognized by the sound of the pump, which has become quieter, which is not typical for normal operation. The water does not drain, but the washing machine makes noise or hums. Finally, a professional can determine the cause of the breakdown. Physical wear and tear on a pump that is expected to last 3–5 years can cause damage. Small parts leaking out of the filter can block the pump impeller. Sometimes, when disassembling pumping equipment, twisted skeins of threads, hair, etc. are found. An alarm that should force the owner to urgently take preventive maintenance of the machine or resort to the help of a specialist is unusual sounds that appear when draining, malfunctions.
- On the advice of the masters, it is also worth checking the internal wiring of the machine.
- In some cases, problems in the firmware, a faulty microcircuit can cause damage to the control module (programmer). Therefore, it is necessary to repair the electronics or replace it with a new one.
In order to prevent breakdowns, it makes sense to take the advice of experienced professionals who will help to “save” the machine from failure.
- It is necessary to disconnect the washing machine from the mains.
- Under the loading hatch, you need to install a low capacity. Remove the pump filter and, if necessary, clean it.
- After the filter is removed, the water still does not drain, it is necessary to look for a problem in the drain pipe, which is much more difficult to remove. Therefore, if the home master is unsure of his abilities, he does not need to do repairs on his own, it is better to turn to professionals. When a decision is made to cope with the difficulties that have arisen on your own, then you must adhere to the following order: — unscrew the screws that secure the drain and remove it; — after loosening the clamp that secures the pipe to the “snail”, remove it; — place the end of the pipe in a drain tank; — inspect the corrugated cut and clean it of debris; — return the equipment to normal.
- Check how the pump impeller located behind the filter rotates.
- The pump may need to be replaced.
Monitoring the operating status of the pump
After the previous points of recommendations are completed, it is important to constantly monitor the drain pump. It is necessary to connect the automatic machine to the power supply by selecting the “drain” option, and in case of its absence, “spin”. In this situation, the pump starts to rotate — this can be seen in the filter hole. You should pay attention to how the impeller turns. If it does not rotate, then the pump needs to be replaced. The first steps to replace it coincide with the procedure for clearing blockages from the pipe that connects the tank to the pump, but without disconnecting the pipe from the “snail”. The washing machine must be tilted to the back wall, disconnect the “snail”, and then disconnect the pump itself from the power system and from the “snail” itself. Most new generation washing machines are equipped with drain pumps of common types and models that are commercially available.
One more nuance should be noted. There are times when everything is in order, but the washing machine does not drain the water. The filter is removed, the nozzle and drain hose are checked, there are no blockages, the pump is set to the “drain” program and rotates.
There are two reasons why the washing machine stopped draining water: the first is that the drain hose is clogged and needs to be cleaned, the second is that the pump has exhausted its resource and only rotates to “dry”. That is, it can work without water, but with water it jams and lacks power indicators. Therefore, this pump must be replaced.See also - How to restart your washing machine
In order to avoid difficulties during operation when the washing machine does not drain water, some preventive measures should be observed.
A number of recommendations are proposed that must be done to prevent breakdowns:
- Before washing, it is always worth emptying pockets of foreign objects: coins, pieces of paper, small parts, etc.
- When loading laundry into the drum, observe the weight indicated in the instructions and avoid overloading it. In this case, a long operation of the drum without breakdowns is guaranteed.
- For washing, use detergents of appropriate quality and in the required quantity.
- In order to protect the equipment from power surges and possible power failures, it is recommended to use a stabilizer during washing.
See also: How to choose a stabilizer for a washing machine
It is quite problematic to determine on your own the reasons for the breakdown of the washing machine, so it is best to contact a service center. Our experts will identify the causes of breakdowns and quickly fix them.