Currently, there are many articles on the choice of yoga mats, but all of them do not reflect modern realities. The market for yoga mats is growing rapidly, and in recent years there have been quite a lot of new products about the features of which, a wide range of yoga lovers are not so aware.
In this article, we will try to figure out in detail how to choose a yoga mat in 2021. What to look for, what trends and novelties exist, how to save money without overpaying for a brand and ultimately choose a reliable and high-quality rug for yourself.
Which brand of yoga mat is better to buy
According to experienced instructors, the following brands produce the best yoga mats:
- starfit is a well-known Australian company engaged in the production of exercise equipment and fitness products. Its yoga mats are durable, reliable and stylish along with very affordable prices. The company’s products were especially popular due to the involvement of eminent athletes and fitness instructors in their creation and testing.
- Bodhi is a German company that has been supplying its products to the CIS market for over 20 years. The company is engaged in the production of mats and other related products for yoga, Pilates, meditation. High-quality and environmentally friendly products of the brand meet strict international standards and are widely popular with customers.
- Manduka is a well-known American brand specializing in the production of yoga products. The product range of this brand is constantly updated with new textures and colors. Taking into account the wishes of its customers, the company produces mats for classes in the halls and outdoors. Yoga mats of this company are famous for their high quality and natural materials.
- Ojas is a world-famous brand, one of the priority activities of which is the release of goods for yoga. The list of its products includes special clothing, rugs, as well as a wide range of covers and bags for them. The company aims to make this spiritual practice as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.
The best fat burners for weight loss
Comfortable and elastic mat
The yoga mats that are widely used today began to be produced only in the second half of the last century. Pretty quickly they gained popularity in all corners of the earth, where the worshipers of the ancient Indian philosophy of body and spirit, also called shravakas, lived.
Today, the mat, made from the latest polymers, is considered an indispensable companion of every yoga adept. This is how modernity and antiquity converged, eventually creating an ideal balance that promotes self-improvement and healing.
Rating of the best yoga mats
When choosing a karemat for yoga, most buyers are guided not only by the price category of goods, but also by their practical qualities. According to numerous reviews on the forums, the following characteristics are important for a comfortable yoga mat:
- Quality and environmental friendliness of materials;
- Good adhesion to the floor and the ability not to slip on its surface;
- Elasticity and softness of the coating;
- The degree of susceptibility to deformation;
- Durability and wear resistance;
- Light weight;
- Moisture resistant;
- Optimal ratio of parameters (length, width and thickness);
- Availability of models with several colors;
After analyzing the opinions of customers and the demand in online stores for yoga and fitness mats, we selected the 6 most popular positions from more than 20 models offered. All of them have good reviews and have the above qualities.
Best elliptical trainers
Lack of time for classes
Yoga and the meditation it preaches help bring thoughts and feelings back to normal, relieve anxiety and calm the nerves. Alas, not all heroes of office work find at least one free hour a week in their busy work schedule to visit the yoga section.
Also, few people working in pompous buildings of glass and concrete get lucky in the form of a caring boss who pays for classes with an experienced guru in a corporate gym.
Best Inexpensive Yoga Mats
If you are just starting to comprehend the basics of yoga and are not sure that this spiritual practice will appeal to you and become a hobby for a long time, there is no need to spend money on an expensive gymnastic mat. In this case, you should opt for more budget models. Based on the opinions of experienced teachers, we have selected the best yoga mats in this price range.
Starfit FM 102
According to online stores, Starfit FM 102 is one of the most purchased caremats. Made of quality PVC material, it is ideal for stretching as well. Its bright colors and original floral pattern help to create a good mood during training. To avoid damage to the integrity of the surface, the manufacturer recommends going barefoot or in special sports shoes with soft soles.
- Elastic and dense coating;
- Bright color that does not fade over time;
- Does not twist during exercise;
- Good length;
- Does not slip on the floor;
- Affordable cost.
- Doesn’t wash off very well.
Reviews about this inexpensive yoga mat are mostly positive. Some users note that the surface deforms slightly over time during training. However, this is only possible when practicing on a karemat in shoes with rough soles.
Bodhi Asana Mat
This effective and lightweight yoga mat has all the features that are so important in yoga and fitness. It does not slip, washes well and does not stretch, it is convenient to roll it up and carry it during training. The ideal thickness allows you to feel comfortable in any asanas. The mat is made of high quality reinforced PVC and has good abrasion resistance. Oeko-Tex 100 Level 2 certification for this product guarantees its complete harmlessness to human skin. Outwardly, such a mat is easily recognizable by the Bodhi corporate logo applied to its surface.
- Pretty long;
- Smells good;
- Soft and elastic coating;
- Washes well.
- Hands move slightly.
This almost non-slip yoga mat is appreciated by stretchers, where flexibility and stretch are very important. And the fact that you can slide a little on it is considered just an advantage.
…We tested this mat for yoga and fitness, and, as promised by the manufacturer, it turned out to be soft and elastic, comfortable for a person even taller than 170 cm, and its cost is quite acceptable…
The FM-301 NBR mat is another Starfit product. Like all products of the company, this yoga mat is durable, soft, reliable and of excellent quality. The use of innovative NBR-material in the composition gives karemat also hypoallergenic properties.
The product is intended both for practicing any kind of yoga, and for fitness training, during which stretching exercises are performed. The manufacturer advises to practice on it without shoes and, if necessary, wipe with a damp cloth. With proper use, this accessory is able to serve the athlete for quite a long time.
- Wide range of colors;
- Responds well to water, can be wiped;
- Increased thickness;
- Good thermal insulation;
- Low cost.
- On some floor coverings it is electrified;
- During dynamic loads sometimes slips.
Karemat tolerates moisture well, but wet palms can slip a little, so this option is not the best for those who sweat a lot in class.
The best fitballs
Reducing pressure on the body
It should be noted that many years before the invention of polymers, which made it possible to produce rugs of increased elasticity, adherents actively practiced yoga right on the soft grass. In the absence of such an opportunity, animal skins were used to alleviate pressure on the body.
However, as the poses became more difficult, yogis needed more and more soft and elastic materials. So, cotton towels were used to take asanas, and after some time they were replaced by synthetic rugs.
Best Natural Yoga Mats
Yoga is a spiritual practice aimed at the “reunification” of the soul and body. Therefore, many people for whom such activities are an integral part of their lifestyle prefer high-quality mats made from natural materials. These mats are more comfortable to use and last much longer. This category contains the best yoga mats, selected according to customer reviews.
Like any Bodhi product, the Rishikesh yoga and fitness mat is made of real German quality. It holds its shape well, does not rub off, and is able to withstand shock, so it is suitable not only for exercising in the gym, but also for training at home or outdoors. The manufacturer has provided for the possibility of washing it in a typewriter, while the mat does not lose color and does not stain the surface. The Rishikesh yoga mat will suit those who choose comfort, durability, light weight and good value for money.
- Made from natural materials;
- Sticks well to the floor;
- Does not slip;
- Rich colors;
- Wear-resistant, suitable for various types of training;
- Has two work surfaces.
- The weight of 1.6 kg seems considerable to some users.
Experienced yoga teachers praise this model for the ability to select the required length, various options are on sale, from 175 cm to 220 cm. Due to the fact that this yoga mat is non-slip, it is easy to make various racks on it.
For the past 15 years, Manduka yoga mats have been regarded as one of the best. The dividing line in the center helps to build up the asanas correctly. The accessory is made of high quality stable PLUS foam, which guarantees safety for health. The pores of the surface are securely closed, which prevents the possibility of reproduction of harmful bacteria. Many customers appreciate these yoga mats for their environmental friendliness and high quality.
- Light weight;
- Nice texture.
- Travel models not included.
Both instructors and their students speak very positively about Manduka mats. Such yoga mats serve about 3–4 years, do not break or rub. True, buyers pay attention to the fact that they are not very convenient to carry, so it is better to leave such mats for stationary practice.
Ojas Salamander Optimum rubber
Ojas Salamander Optimum rubber yoga mat is suitable for all types of practice. This yoga mat is made from natural material in accordance with the requests and recommendations of professional instructors. It is strong, durable, resilient, completely non-slip and odorless.
Another distinctive feature of this karemat is its ability to absorb moisture. Due to the large number of microscopic pores on its surface, which create the effect of a sponge, sweat quickly seeps inside and then evaporates, leaving no unpleasant odors. The manufacturer has provided for the possibility of washing the rug in a washing machine with gentle detergents at a temperature of +30°C.
- Soft cover;
- wear resistant;
- Good grip on the floor and palms;
- Doesn’t smell;
- Can be machine washed;
- High quality thermal insulation.
- The kit does not include a carrying case;
- High price.
Judging by the reviews, this mat is appreciated not only by yoga practitioners, but also by Pilates fans. It does not slip at all and, if desired, by purchasing a cover, you can carry it with you to group classes in fitness clubs.
Lotus position on the living room floor
The only way out of this vicious circle is to train right in your apartment. There will always be time and place to take a few healing postures and escape from the eternal vanity of vanities.
To fully balance passions and desires, in this case, you only need a video with meditative music launched on YouTube and, of course, a fitness mat.
Some carpet replacement options
It is logical to ask if it is possible to do without a special rug during Indian meditation practice?
In general, you can, replacing it with the first ones that come across:
- Ordinary palace.
If you wish, you can also make a soft bedding with your own hands by studying similar home-made samples from a photo of a yoga mat published on the World Wide Web.
Which yoga mat is better to choose
For those who often work out in nature, it is better to choose a yoga and fitness mat made of synthetic materials. It weighs less than natural products, which are more relevant for practice in the gym.
Based on the results of our rating, we can draw the following conclusions:
- The Manduka gymnastic mat can be considered the most popular among yoga practitioners at a professional level.
- If you are looking for an unassuming yoga mat for your travels, then Rishikesh is the perfect travel bed.
- For Pilates, the Ojas Salamander Optimum rubber mat is best suited.
- Fans of stretching and stretching most often prefer Bodhi Asana Mat.
- Those who choose a gymnastic mat for children will definitely like the design of Starfit FM 102.
- Beginners for trial classes should opt for the budget version of the FM-301 NBR.
In the modern market of goods for fitness, there are many different offers. Therefore, when making your choice, remember that the best yoga mat should encourage you to get started as soon as possible.
The path to inner harmony
The ancient teachings of yoga have accumulated a huge variety of techniques:
- Mind healing;
- Purification of consciousness;
- Putting in order a shattered psyche;
- Expelling fears, including regular panic attacks;
- General bodily health.
Yoga classes with children
With the growing popularity of yoga, the older generation is increasingly introducing young people, youth and children to this teaching. Moreover, many parents insist that their children begin meditation and practicing asanas from an early age.
Accordingly, it is quite logical to ask what criteria should be taken into account when choosing a children’s rug.
It is clear that it should be decorated cheerfully and colorfully, but this does not say anything about what performance qualities will suit the young yogi the most.
No point in saving
As follows from the reviews of numerous shravaks, a rug that is comfortable in every sense will not be cheap at all. However, this does not mean that you need to look for a more affordable option.
It is better to save up the missing amount, and then the meditation will take place in much more comfortable and sparing conditions. On top of that, an expensive model will last several years longer.
Wide range of benefits
Judging by the impressions of avid yogis, the use of a mat allows you to raise the effectiveness of meditation and asanas to a whole new level.
The following advantages of a modern factory mat are especially obvious:
- Opportunity to choose the optimal bedding in terms of thickness, length and friction force;
- Increased resistance to dirt and ease of washing;
- The widest choice of design solutions, as well as the possibility of applying an individual pattern or ornament;
- Pleasant tactile sensations delivered by synthetic fabric;
- Effective insulation from the cold floor.
Softness, tenacity, environmental friendliness
A suitable choice for a beginner shravaka, otherwise called athama, is the Manduka Pro Mat model. This is a very soft mat, perfectly adapted for the meditator in his apartment.
- More than half a centimeter thick provides just the kind of cushioning that is needed for the yet untrained athama joints.
- The high friction force will not allow this mat to slip out from under the beginner yogi at the most inopportune moment.
- This model is also good because it does not accumulate any odors and does not saturate athama clothes with a sharp polymer aroma.
- The developers managed to achieve this effect through the use of environmentally friendly raw materials.