It does not matter whether you sheathed the house with siding, facing stone, covered with plaster or the facade is built of brick. Every building needs a drainage system. They are made even in baths and gazebos.
Otherwise, after a couple of seasons, the foundation will begin to suffer from water, there will be high humidity in the house, and electrical wiring can easily fail. Solution: install a drainage system as soon as possible.
The gutter system is a constructor, from which, as a rule, one or another element cannot be excluded. Usually, the following elements are included in the basic composition of the drainage system (from top to bottom):
|gutters||They collect rainwater from the roof. Gutter angles (straight or adjustable for undercutting) help mount the system on an exterior or interior corner of a building|
|Brackets (hooks)||Gutters are attached to them|
|Stubs||Installed from the end of the gutter|
|Protective grilles||Do not allow large debris to enter the drain|
|funnel||Water goes into it, it connects the gutters and pipes|
|downpipe||Water runs down it|
|Clamps||With their help, the drain is attached to the facade|
|Knee||For structures in which it is necessary to change the direction of the drain, for example, to put it closer to the facade|
|Wall-mounted sills (not all manufacturers use this element)||Needed if the roof slope is adjacent to the wall — protects the facade from moisture|
|Drain||The last part of the gutter from which water flows|
|Water drainage||Allows you to effectively collect rainwater in a tank for irrigation, irrigation and other technical needs|
In 2022, there are a lot of good manufacturers of drainage systems on the domestic market, we will tell you about the best of them.
The leader of the domestic and one of the leaders of the European building materials market. The company produces some of the best drainage systems, in total there are five lines in its catalog, each meets GOST R. This is a rarity in the Russian drainage market in 2022.
- TN Optima (plastic drainage system OPTIMA 120/80). Gutter 120 mm, pipe 80 mm. The catalog has the following colors: white, gray, dark brown, black. Suitable for small buildings. 10 year warranty. The serviced roof area is 73 sq.m (if the funnel is located at the edge of the slope) or 146 sq.m (the location of the funnel in the middle of the slope).
- TN PVC (plastic drainage system TECHNONICOL 125/82). Gutter 125 mm, pipe 82 mm. throughput of 88 sq.m (if the funnel is located at the edge of the slope) or 176 sq.m (funnel in the middle of the slope). It is presented in colors: white, green, brown, red, gray, dark brown, black.
- TN MAXI (plastic drainage system MAXI 152/100). A premium PVC product that can withstand heavy snow loads and the heaviest downpours. Gutter 152 mm, pipe 100 mm — thanks to these characteristics, the throughput is very high. Suitable for roofs of large areas: Capacity: 100 sq.m. m. (if the funnel is from the edge of the slope) and for roofs up to 200 sq.m (funnel in the middle of the slope). Sold in colors anthracite, white, snow white, brown, graphite gray. Warranty 15 years.
- TN MVS STANDARD (metal drainage system 125/90). Gutter 125 mm, pipe 90 mm. Made of 0.55 mm thick galvanized steel with industrial grade polyester coating on both sides. 10 year warranty.
- TN MVS (metal drainage system 125/90). The system is made of 0.55 mm thick galvanized steel. Outside covered with polyurethane, which gives additional strength and protects against ultraviolet radiation. Does not require glue and sealant during installation, sealing rubber bands are already glued into the gutter connectors. Gutter 125 mm, pipe 90 mm. It is provided with an increased warranty period of 25 years against through corrosion.
Customers praise TECHNONICOL for the ease of installation of the drain, stable quality, convenient and reliable packaging. The company’s product portfolio includes a large selection of gutter systems of different throughput — that is, you can choose for a roof of any size. It is also impossible not to note a large palette of colors: in addition to the standard white, gray and brown, some lines are available, for example, in dark graphite, green, red, black coatings. Plastic gutter systems are ideally combined in color with TECHNONICOL spotlights.
Pros and cons
Advertising. LLC TekhnoNIKOL-Building Systems. LjN8JzggR
Rating of the top 9 manufacturers of drainage systems according to KP
“Deke” (as the name is pronounced) is made at factories in the Moscow region and the Vladimir region. Their catalog includes gutters made of plastic (PVC range) and steel (STAL).
Steel — one line of four colors (chocolate, ice cream, chestnut, graphite). Pipes with a diameter of 90 mm, with a wall thickness of 0.68 m. Made of galvanized steel with a polymer coating, that is, they have a thin layer of plastic on the outside that reinforces (that is, “strengthens”) the steel and gives it color.
The company’s plastic line of drainage systems is divided into three types. They differ from each other in the size of the gutters and pipes, and hence the throughput. Therefore, depending on the area of the roof, a system of the appropriate size is selected. The guarantee for all options is 25 years, regardless of the climate zone, although some manufacturers introduce differentiation.
- standard. Pipe diameter 80 mm, wall thickness 1.7 mm, gutter 120 mm.
- Premium. Pipe diameter 85 mm, wall thickness 1.8 mm, gutter 120 mm.
- Lux. Pipe diameter 100 mm, wall thickness 2.2 mm. Also, a chute with an increased diameter of 141 mm.
The difference in price between the first and third line is one and a half to two times. But if Lux comes only in three colors (“chocolate”, “graphite”, “ice-cream”), then Premium can also be chosen in “chestnut” (in addition to those colors of the LUX line), and the budget Standard in its color palette is red, green , grey, white brown.
In reviews, buyers sometimes complain about the difficulty of installation at the junction of the gutters.
Pros and cons
2. Grand Line
A large company is a manufacturer of building materials with nine factories in Russia. The main emphasis is on selling through their branded stores. Produce metal and plastic gutter systems.
The metal ones are covered with a layer of polyurethane with polyamides — this gives color. The catalog is quite voluminous, each model has its own set of colors — in addition to the traditional white, brown and gray, there are rare ones like green, pink and others. On request, powder coating in other colors according to the RAL color catalog is possible for an additional fee. Metal products are represented by the following models:
- grand line 125 × 90 and 150 × 100 mm (the numbers indicate the width of the gutter and the diameter of the pipe, respectively). 25 year warranty on technical specifications, appearance — 10 years.
- Optima 125 × 90 and 150 × 100 mm are more budgetary, less warranty (10 years for technical characteristics, appearance — 5 years), thinner coating layer.
- Vortex — a wide range of different sizes (gutter from 100 to 150 mm, pipes 0.45 mm thick, diameter 103 mm) of rectangular section. Such a construct does not affect the characteristics of “drainage”, it has an aesthetic function. For example, it goes well with high-tech design. 10 year warranty on technical specifications, appearance — 5 years.
Plastic drainage systems of only two lines. They differ in appearance and diameter of the gutter. The pipe diameter is 90 mm for both options.
- “Classic” 120/90 mm.
- “Design” 135/90 mm.
In the reviews, buyers note reliable locks for gutters, but clamps are scolded for fragility.
Pros and cons
3. “Alta Profile”
Russian manufacturer of polymer finishing materials. There are two lines of drainage systems in the catalog.
“Standard”. For houses with a small roof area. The company does not specify the exact criteria for a “small” roof. In practice, installation teams usually refer to those with an area of up to 50 “squares”. The gutter diameter is 115 mm, the wall thickness is 1.5 mm. Pipe diameter 74 mm. Gutter colors: white, brown and red. You can choose the angle of the gutter in the desired direction — so that water does not fall on the facade.
“Elite”. For buildings with complex roof shapes and regions with high rainfall. Increased gutter diameter up to 125 mm and gutter wall thickness up to 1.6 mm. Pipe diameter 95 mm. Colors: white, brown, grey-green. The gutter is reinforced with stiffeners, and inside it there are longitudinal grooves-strips. This is a system due to which the leaves do not stick inside the drain. The angle of the gutter cannot be adjusted, however, the gutter itself is tilted away from the wall.
In both configurations, you need to buy additional rubber seals for connections if you do not want constant leaks in the downpour. In addition, the gutters do not have protective gratings. 15 year product warranty and 10 year color warranty.
Pros and cons
The company itself is Canadian, but produces products in the Moscow region and St. Petersburg. Her products can be found in network building markets and online stores. These are drains of the mass, economy segment. The thickness of the plastic (the company does not make metal) is only 1 or 1.2 mm, depending on the model. This is a good solution for a bathhouse, gazebo, summer cottage in regions with little rainfall. If you are looking for a drain for a capital cottage, then you should pay attention only if you are constrained in funds.
Gutters in four colors: white, light and dark brown, as well as graphite. The reviews complain that the direct sun is merciless to the paint — it fades.
There are two lines in the catalog:
semicircular diameter 130 mm. Pipe 80 mm.
Rectangular 67 mm wide. Pipe 67 mm.
The latter solution, due to its modest dimensions, is intended only for small buildings, but is reinforced with stiffeners. Semicircular gutters with round pipes — standard dimensions for drainage systems.
Pros and cons
5. “Metal Profile”
A large company that produces building materials for the Russian market and the CIS. They work only through their sales offices or their own online store. Produce gutter systems made of galvanized steel.
This is not a cheap company, but a medium and premium segment. Outside pipes and gutters are covered with polymer. Choose from either polyester (claimed 10 year life) or Purman branded polyurethane finish (claimed 50 year life).
In the pluses of the company, we will write down a huge range of colors for gutters and textured coatings (like imitation wood or carbon fiber). And if you choose a polyurethane coating, you can still vary the glossy or matte finish. This option is made to order, so we must remember that the production time is growing, which depends on the current workload of the enterprise.
The company has seven lines of drainage systems. Some differ only in design, others are cheaper or more expensive due to different thicknesses of steel and coatings used.
- Foramina Freeze – design ruler, gutter diameter 120 mm, thickness 0.5 or 0.6 mm. Covered with a textured polymer layer. General warranty up to 30 years.
- Foramina round and rectangular section. Gutter 125/150 mm or 120×86 mm (width and height) respectively. Thickness 0.5 mm. Warranty up to 40 years.
- grandsystem – round gutter 125 mm in diameter, the best combination of price and quality. 10 year warranty.
- GS lite — round gutter 125 mm in diameter, covered with a thinner layer of polymer than Grandsystem (25 vs. 35 micrometers). 10 year warranty.
- “Budget” – rectangular gutter 120×86 mm wide, with a thin polyester coating. 10 year warranty.
- “Project” — for multi-storey buildings.
Pros and cons
Another Russian company from the Moscow region focuses on premium materials. There are three lines in the catalog, all made of metal.
“Elite”. Made of copper — looks very bold and original, but not suitable for all projects. 70 year guarantee. It costs about 20 times more than ordinary galvanized steel (about 20,000 rubles for 3 meters of gutter). Gutters with a diameter of 125 or 150 mm, pipes 90 or 100 mm.
“Premium”. Made of galvanized steel with a pural coating (polyurethane with the addition of polyamide, often used for roofing, as it is not afraid of ultraviolet radiation and water), 50-year guarantee. The dimensions are similar to the previous line.
“Comfort”. Made of galvanized steel with polyester coating, 10 year warranty. Gutter with a diameter of 125 mm, pipes — 90 mm.
The company operates through a dealer network. Among the customer reviews there are complaints about the quality of coverage of the most budget line “Comfort”. Care must be taken during installation so as not to damage the protective layer.
Pros and cons
Polish drains, which are actively imported to Russia. They produce only plastic gutters. There are two lines available.
- PVC (PVC). Dimensions (gutter / pipe diameter): 75/63 mm (for baths and garages), 100/90 mm (for low-rise buildings), 125/90 or 125/110 mm (cottages with several floors) and 150/110 mm (for industrial facilities and high-rise buildings). Colours: brown, white or graphite.
- MAGNAT. Made of PVC and acrylic plastic, this combination is stronger than regular PVC and can withstand snow loads up to 450 kg. Size one: 125/90 mm. Colors: copper, green, acrylic, red, silver.
There are no protective grilles for any line. The manufacturer operates through a dealer network in eight major Russian cities, mainly in Central Russia. 10 year warranty.
Pros and cons
Polish company with production in Russia. They produce many types of drains, including quite rare ones. They are made of galvanized steel and plastic. A distinctive feature is that they are equipped with grooves for the heating cable system to prevent freezing. Prices are above the market average. The following lines are available:
- PVC and PVC2. Round and square. With glossy finish. Gutter diameter from 110 to 135 mm, pipe 70 or 80 mm. Warranty 15 years on performance and 8 years on color.
- STAL and STAL2. An analogue of steel covered with pural (polyurethane + polyamide, the material has proven itself in roofing). Sheet thickness 0.6 mm. Warranty 35 years. The outside is covered with an organic film that protects against mechanical damage during transportation and installation, and then it dissolves from water. Gutter 120, 125, 130 mm, pipes 80 or 90 mm. General warranty 30 years.
- FLAT ROOFS. Drainage for flat roofs. There is no gutter here: instead, a roof funnel (installed in the roof according to the principle of draining in the bathroom), a round pipe with a diameter of 110 mm.
- LUXOCYNK. Semi-circular gutter made of 0.6 mm galvanized steel coated with a transparent polymer. Usually the polymer is colored, but here it is the other way around. Warranty 30 years. Gutter diameter 132 mm, pipe 100 mm.
- TYTANCYNK. Same dimensions as LUXOCYNK, but here 0.7 mm galvanized steel, with a high zinc content. For regions with especially snowy winters. General warranty 30 years.
- HIDDEN. A rare product even in 2022 for our market is a flush-mounted gutter system. Installed in the thermal insulation layer of the building. Gutter 125 mm. Requires the builder or architect of the project to pre-calculate the installation of the system.
The company gives a good guarantee for the systems, but please note that the terms apply only to the technical condition of the gutter, and not to the color of the coating.
Pros and cons
Budget drains from a Russian company, which are traded by large chain construction stores. The claimed service life of 25 years is impressive. But the line is very small. In fact, there is one universal PVC solution in three colors: coffee, white and black. Gutter diameter 125 mm, pipe 90 mm. From the inside, the surface is not smooth, but with risks. It is believed that leaves stick to this one less. There are seals made of an alloy of silicone and polyvinyl chloride. Drainage and brackets with stiffeners, which increases the strength of the structure. Buyers praise for the easy installation system, but scold for the quick fading.
Pros and cons
How to choose a manufacturer of drainage systems
As with many building materials lines, there is a lot of competition among gutter manufacturers. Everyone thinks that his system is the best. To help you choose, here is a short guide.
plastic or metal
More and more on the market now plastic products — made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC). The plastic drain has the following advantages and disadvantages:
+ The plastic drainage system is elastic, due to which it has a “shape memory”: when deformed, it easily returns to its previous state without changing its appearance and without cracking (subject to high-quality installation and a conscientious manufacturer). Ease of installation, not subject to corrosion, silent, dirt is not visible on a smooth surface, is not afraid of chemistry, easy maintenance. Manufacturers produce gutter systems according to the principle of the designer: the part fits perfectly to the part, it remains to be connected and fixed under the roof and on the facade.
- A plastic drainage system can crack in the cold if not installed correctly, so it is important to follow the technology. Try to choose large manufacturers — they use high-quality plastic that can withstand severe frosts and heat, colored plastic fades in the sun over time.
The metal gutter system (mainly galvanized steel is used) also has its strengths and weaknesses:
+ Withstands a large snow load — relevant for regions with heavy rainfall, does not crack.
- Installation work should be carried out by a pro team, the price is higher than that of PVC systems, construction work takes longer, a serious load on the cornice overhang. When deformed, it does not return to its original shape.
Both plastic and metal should be with stiffeners. These are additional inserts for parts that increase the ultimate (primarily snow) load.
Don’t skimp on this item. It protects the gutters from leaves and other street debris (this is especially true in spring and autumn). Otherwise, you will have to constantly clean the system manually.
In the drainage system, these are the gutter connectors. Be sure to buy parts with a seal, otherwise leaks are inevitable.
An important indicator of the best products. The best manufacturers give a guarantee of 10 years or more. Just pay attention to the wording in the documents. Some brands are cunning and indicate the service life of both 25 and 40 years, although they only give a guarantee of 3–5 years.
Some element of even the best drain can fail over time. The bracket will fall off, the pipe section will burst from temperature changes or freezing. It is important to be able to quickly find a replacement. If the brand has a limited dealer network or only sells through its own limited number of points, then finding the right part can be problematic.
With a stepladder, it is easy for a home master to do the work on his own. But don’t make big mistakes. Place the gutters at a slope of up to 5 mm towards the downpipe — so that the water drains and does not stagnate. Otherwise, in a downpour, the system will not cope with the removal of precipitation, and they will flood the facade.
Remember that the gutter of the drain should not cover the roof tiles. Observe the distance between the installation of brackets (hooks) for gutters, the norms are prescribed in the instructions of the manufacturer of the drain. The recommended value is no more than 60 cm.
The knee should not rest on the ground, leave a distance of at least 20 cm from the ground. Otherwise, in cold weather, the water will freeze and burst the pipes.
Expert opinion on drainage systems
Andrey Golovanov, manager of the Plastics product line at TECHNONICOL:
“A drainage system is vital for every home. If you refuse it, then there will inevitably be problems with soil erosion near the building, and damage to the blind area and facade is also possible. The price of drainage systems compared to the cost of building a house is negligible: you should not try to save every penny, the miser will inevitably pay twice.
My father-in-law decided to save money and assembled the gutter with his own hands. He bought gutters, installed them, and organized water drainage using sewer pipes. But he did not take into account the fact that sewer pipes are divided into two types: for internal and for external communications. The father-in-law just put the first. After a few years, these pipes fell into disrepair, and it became necessary to redo this part of the structure.
Therefore, my advice is this: buy only ready-made branded gutter systems and use its payment system when installing them. The manufacturer conducted both laboratory and full-scale tests and gives a guarantee for its products.”