Closers for kitchen cabinets occupy an important place among the rest of the furniture fittings, because they allow the furniture to maintain its original appearance. This mechanism ensures smooth closing of the doors without much effort, which is especially important for glass cabinets. High-quality, made of durable materials, the mechanism can last a long time. In this case, you need to know its types and installation rules.
Closers for kitchen cabinets
When arranging the kitchen, you should not save on furniture fittings. If the headset does not work well, then you will immediately feel it, so its choice must be taken with responsibility. To choose the right product, you must:
- take into account the design and type of cabinets;
- pay attention to the placement of the mechanism: there are designs that are placed on the doors of cabinets and do not require complex hinges;
- determine the weight of the structure, which must be fixed with the help of a closer;
- to save time, you can purchase designs with self-adjustment.
To understand how the door closer works in the kitchen, consider the principle of its operation:
- The basis of the mechanism is a spring, which is located inside a capsule filled with oil.
- The closing speed of the doors is regulated by special valves.
- Pressure is applied to the door of the furniture, and under the influence of its weight, it begins to close.
- The door begins to press harder on the special stop of the closer.
- The liquid covering the spring flows into its rear part (sleeve), where it is held by a double gland system.
- The closing speed of the doors is determined by a special adjusting element that narrows and expands the outflow channel.
Advantages and disadvantages
A properly installed mechanism has several advantages:
- Provides full and smooth closing of the cabinet door.
- Easy to install and operate.
- A high-quality mechanism is durable and does not require constant oil changes and repairs.
- The oil and liquid inside the door closer are securely fixed in the capsule, so in case of breakage they will not damage the furniture.
- With the right option, the mechanism is able to withstand a sufficient load.
We list the disadvantages of this mechanism:
- For kitchen cabinets with closers, installation must be carried out strictly according to the instructions.
- The appearance of the structure is not particularly attractive.
- Oil closers work worse in low temperature conditions, which is caused by the viscosity of the oil.
Depending on the mechanism of action, the structures are divided into the following types:
Oil mechanisms for kitchen cabinets require constant care and lubrication, but are the most common due to the durability of use.
Gas closers are inexpensive mechanisms, inside of which there is a special gas.
According to the installation method, they are:
- installed on the surface of furniture;
- placed between furniture hinges;
- mounted on furniture hinges.
For drawers, there are special types of products from special guides.
Closers for kitchen cabinets are made in different shades and are selected according to the type of furniture. This makes it easy to install one-color fittings.
How to install
To install closers yourself, strictly follow the instructions, and also purchase special screws and a screwdriver.
Having studied the instructions and prepared the necessary materials and tools, you can proceed with the installation.
- To simplify the process, furniture can be removed from the wall and placed in a convenient place.
- The first step is to fix the holding part of the mechanism in the cabinet. When using large closers, the piston is installed on the immovable part of the shelf, the rest of it is attached to the doors. Installation of a compact-sized door closer is carried out on the stationary part of the shelf.
- Having marked on the opposite side the place of attachment of the entire body, small holes are made with a hammer and a screwdriver.
- Fastening elements are screwed with a screwdriver.
- At the end of the process, the quality of the installation should be checked. If the furniture sash opens and closes freely, then everything is done correctly.
With a responsible attitude to the process, putting the closer on the kitchen cabinet will be quite simple.
After installing the structure, you need to know how to adjust the kitchen cabinet door.
This can be done using the screw located on the door locker. When the screw is loosened, the closing speed decreases, and when it is strengthened, vice versa. This is ensured by the throughput of the piston outflow channel: the liquid controls the movement of the doors, flowing at different speeds along the sleeve.
Cabinet hardware manufacturers
There are many foreign manufacturers that have proven themselves in the furniture fittings market:
- Austrian company BLUM;
- German company Vauth Sagel;
- Austrian company Siro;
- German manufacturer Hettih.
The cost of oil products from these manufacturers is not considered low, however, higher quality oil is used in such furniture fittings, and closers are considered the best.