The kitchen is a place that is the heart of the house, and furniture plays the main role in the interior of this room. A properly selected corner cabinet for the kitchen is able to provide an original and functional design for the entire set.
Functions of a corner cabinet in a kitchen set
Most often, a corner kitchen module is used as a place to install a sink. The floor L‑shaped cabinet under the sink will help to remove unnecessary clutter and bring an element of innovative technologies into the interior of the room.
The corner kitchen cabinet is the most spacious place in the whole set. Its capacity is used to optimize the kitchen space.
If you equip a triangular cabinet with pull-out panels and baskets, then it will accommodate a lot of food, dishes and kitchen utensils. In addition, household appliances can be built into the cabinet in the corner.
If there is no need to use the space functionally, shelves with figurines, photographs and other decorative things are placed in the corner. And the souvenir in the box is better viewed if the doors in the cabinet are made of transparent glass.
Variety of designs
There are 3 main types of corner cabinets:
- Hanging cabinets that are placed on the wall. It can be a full-fledged locker with facades or sliding panels. It is used to store dishes. Sometimes the triangular module of the kitchen system performs a decorative function.
- Floor corner cabinets. Most often they mount a sink. In addition, a hob is built into the triangular cabinet. Then, instead of the upper corner cabinet, you will have to install a hood.
- One piece corner cabinet. Large and roomy cabinet for the kitchen, height from floor to ceiling. It is rarely installed due to its inconvenient location and too large size.
Basic dimensions — standards
Dimensions and dimensions of kitchen corner cabinets should be calculated taking into account the overall design and capacity of the entire room. When choosing a module, you should follow the main recommendations:
- The thickness of the internal shelves is determined, taking into account the items that will be stored on them. If you plan to keep wooden, plastic or ceramic dishes in the cabinet, a shelf thickness of up to 20 mm is sufficient. If the cabinet is intended to store heavier items, such as cast iron pans or pots, the thickness of the panels should be 2 cm or more. This rule applies to standard partitions made of plastic or chipboard.
- When calculating the dimensions of the cabinets, it is taken into account that the depth of the hanging cabinets does not exceed 40 cm. When planning the design parameters, plumbing communications and ventilation should be taken into account if they pass through a triangular module. The upper corner cabinet is equipped with lighting, which affects the calculation of its dimensions.
- If you plan to build a stove into the closet in the corner of the kitchen, then you should not hang the upper tier too low, especially if plastic or other combustible materials are used in the furniture design. Above the stove or above the sink should be spacious enough to conveniently and efficiently use the work area.
- When choosing any furniture for the kitchen, it is necessary to take into account the growth of the hostess, since she will have to use the headset most often.
Standard kitchen dimensions:
- Upper corner cabinet — 60x60 cm with a front width of 42 cm.
- Lower corner cabinet — 90x90 cm with a depth of lower cabinets 55 cm and a tabletop width of 60 cm.
If a cabinet with parameters different from the standard is required, the dimensions are selected individually.
Floor and hinged corner cabinets are made of the same materials as the rest of the furniture in the set. The frame of the module is made of chipboard, and the facades are made of laminated chipboard, wood or MDF.
For the manufacture of a corner cabinet with a tabletop, in addition to other materials, you will need a slab of artificial stone.
Inside the floor stand, you can mark a microwave oven or a dishwasher. Kitchen cabinets-tables are best filled with shelves for food storage. For more convenient storage of utensils and products, sliding racks on special clips are installed in a triangular cabinet.
If a sink is installed in a corner cabinet, most of the internal usable space is occupied by pipes. In this case, a trash can is placed in the locker. This is the best use of the cabinet under the sink.
Assembly and installation
When self-assembling and installing kitchen furniture, it is recommended to adhere to the following rules:
- The assembly of the kitchen set begins with the placement of corner cabinets, to which the rest of the modules are installed back to back. Do not make an angle-connection “by eye”. In this case, the far cabinets will stand crooked.
- Hinged structures are attached to the wall with dowels. The required size and shape of fasteners are selected taking into account the recommendations of the headset manufacturer.
- Some hinged corner cabinets can be hung with a butterfly mount. Such a latch opens behind the side panel, which ensures a secure fit. Most often, this method is used to install the headset on a plasterboard wall.
How to DIY
Sometimes, having gone through a lot of modular systems for the kitchen provided by furniture companies, it is still not possible to decide on the appropriate option. In this case, there is nothing left but to make a corner bedside table yourself.
For a do-it-yourself kitchen, you will need not only materials and tools, but also practical skills in construction and working with wood and metal. First, you should decide on the design, and then take measurements of the room. Then a drawing of a furniture module is drawn, its functionality and content are thought out. Suitable material and tools are selected. Everything else depends only on the experience of the master.