Part of the overall repair that you can do yourself is installing a sink in the kitchen. Depending on the choice of product, the installation of the sink can be easier or more difficult, but the comfort of using it depends on the accuracy of all installation steps.
Overview of sinks
There are several criteria for choosing a kitchen sink. These include the functionality of the sink, the type of installation and the compatibility of the model with the design of the kitchen. When determining the functional characteristics, you need to pay attention to the following:
- The capacity of the bowl is determined by your own requests. If the family is large and you have to wash large volumes of food and large pots, then the hostess will need a sink with a large and deep bowl.
- Convenient models with overflow — an additional hole on the edge of the bowl. Such a sink will never get too much water, and when immersed in dishes, liquid will not splash out over the edge.
- The volume of simultaneous manipulations will determine the number of bowls. The industry produces both single sinks and more complex systems consisting of 2–4 compartments. Often the sink also has 1–2 wings for drying dishes.
- The strength of the material or coating is chosen depending on the ability to change the shell after a short period of time. Enamelled steel sinks are cheap, but quickly fail due to enamel chips, while nickel-plated sinks can last much longer, although they are more expensive.
Installing the sink in the kitchen can be done in different ways. According to the type of installation, there are:
- overhead sink, which completely covers the countertop of a separate pedestal;
- mortise, built into the recess of the common countertop;
- an integrated bowl, i.e., constituting a single surface with a countertop.
When choosing a model suitable for the interior of the kitchen, pay attention to the material, color and shape of the product.
The choice of a sink according to these criteria depends on the comfort of the hostess, who will have to spend time in the kitchen, on the hygiene of the coating or the installation method. The compatibility of the material with other interior details also matters: a shiny nickel-plated sink will look spectacular with other similar details, and in a kitchen designed in a single color scheme, it is better to put a painted model of a suitable shade.
Neighborhood of a sink and other equipment
The sink should be installed so that there is at least 40 cm between it and other kitchen appliances. In practice, this is dictated not by convenience, but by safety considerations: by placing a refrigerator next to the sink, the apartment owners risk getting an electric shock or causing a short circuit as a result of water entering the electrical appliance. Between the refrigerator and the stove, it is recommended to install a cabinet with a work surface (tabletop), on which food from the refrigerator is laid out before processing.
Ergonomics rules in the kitchen are advised to follow the triangle rule, i.e., place work points (stove, sink, cutting table) so that they form a triangle with sides no more than 1 m. In a small kitchen with furniture placed along 1 wall, the stove next to the sink turns out to be not the most convenient option. The best location of the sink and stove on the sides of the cutting table. Its length does not exceed 60 cm.
Sometimes the sink is placed in the corner module of the kitchen set. This arrangement is convenient in that it helps to fulfill the triangle rule. When choosing the corner location of the sink, leave a distance between the sink and the refrigerator or stove. Between these working points put modules with countertops.
Standard models from the kitchen set are easy to assemble on your own. When assembling the cabinet for the sink, you need to check the completeness of the product:
- 2 sidewalls;
- 2 stiffening bars;
Depending on the delivery, the sink cabinet may also have a back wall. Often, the kit includes fasteners for a surface sink.
The connection of parts is carried out on self-tapping screws and corners, screwing fasteners from the inside of the panels. Install stiffeners at the top to connect the side walls and get an open space in place of the countertop. When installing a free-standing sink (consignment note) on the walls, you need to attach the brackets from the kit. For mortise models, the cabinet is used as part of the common base of a single countertop. The doors are hung on furniture mortise hinges after the headset is assembled.
At the corner module, the stiffness connections are arranged differently. In most cases, they can be installed on the front and one side. When assembling corner sets, you must follow the instructions for the product.
Overhead sink installation
Depending on the model of the product, the installation of the overhead sink on the pedestal can be done in different ways:
- If the cabinet has fasteners in the kit, then the installation is carried out on them. To do this, mark the mounting location of the bracket on the inside of the sidewall, screw the screws into the attachment points, and then hang the bracket. Self-tapping screws should not be fully tightened. Put the sink on the pedestal and move the mount along the mounting hole. In this case, the head of the self-tapping screw should enter the bend of the hole, and the sink should be pressed against the end of the sidewall of the pedestal. After installing the fastener in the desired position, the screws should be tightened.
- If there are no fasteners, and the sink has sides bent down, then you can install the overhead sink with your own hands with a sealant mount. To do this, apply silicone to the ends of the sidewalls, install the sink and press it with a load for 24 hours. When the adhesive layer sets, the sink will securely connect to the base. If necessary, self-tapping screws can be screwed into the mounting holes on the sides, if any.
- Do-it-yourself installation option — on a support made of bars. When the cabinet is very different in height, and the fixtures are not suitable for the selected model, you can make the support yourself. The dimensions of the structure should make it possible to fix the overhead sink. The bars are mounted using self-tapping screws on the inside of the side walls of the cabinet, and the installation height is adjusted so that the edges of the bowl are at the level of the countertops of neighboring modules.
Installation of a mortise sink
Before installing the sink in the countertop, you need to make a recess under it. To do this, use the template attached to the sink, or trace the outline of the sides and bowl, turning the product over. When marking, you need to leave that part of the countertop intact, which will be under the side, and cut out only the contour corresponding to the bowl of the sink.
For sawing, a hole is drilled into which the jigsaw blade will be placed. It is advisable to drill inside the contour to be removed. So it will be possible to achieve an even cut along the entire contour of the recess. A jigsaw file is placed in the hole and a recess for the bowl is carefully cut out, trying to follow the contour as clearly as possible.
The edges of the hole for the sink must be filed and sanded. Put the bowl and check the accuracy of the notch: with a correctly made cut, the sides fit snugly against the countertop. Carefully cover the saw cut with silicone sealant and dry the countertop.
Install taps in the countertop and bring flexible hoses to them. Apply a layer of sealant to the edge of the recess before installing the mortise sink. To seal the joint, you can use the gaskets that come with the sink. Lay the sink on the countertop, tighten the fastening bolts from the bottom side using the algorithm:
- first, those that are located diagonally on the product;
- after that — fastenings in the middle of its sides.
When tightening along the contour of the sides, excess sealant may be squeezed out. It must be wiped with a rag, and too wide a gasket can be cut off with a sharp knife.
Installation of an integrated sink
It is more difficult to install a built-in sink qualitatively than a mortise option. For a good result, you need an accurate marking of the contour of the side and the bowl, so be sure to use the template for the product. The cut under the bowl is done in the same way as in the previous case.
Installing a kitchen sink below the level of the countertop requires a recess and under the sides of the product. It will be possible to make them with the help of a seam cutter, choosing a part of the tabletop material along the contour of the sides. This achieves the effect of deepening the product into the surface. The depth of the recess is determined by the thickness of the rim.
After removing a quarter, silicone is applied to the edges of the recess, the bowl is inserted into the recesses and fixed with clamps. It is necessary to tighten the clamps, starting with the corner ones located diagonally on the rectangular sink, or opposite each other if it is rounded.
Corner sink: installation features
For installation in a corner module, bowls of various shapes can be used. Manufacturers also produce special overhead products with sides, the contour of which corresponds to the standard dimensions of the corner pedestal. There are also mortise options suitable only for installation in the corner segment of the headset.
When installing a corner sink, the same principles apply as when installing simple varieties. But there are also differences:
- the installation of the tap is carried out in the far corner, so it is better to install it and connect the flexible piping before attaching the sink;
- when buying an invoice model, you should make sure that its size and shape correspond to the existing corner cabinet;
- a rectangular sink will have to be placed diagonally on the corner segment, so you need to carefully align its center lines and diagonals.
For a beautiful position of the bowl in the center of the module, before installation, you need to mark the countertop. Straight lines connect the opposite corners on the left and right, as well as the far corner and the center of the front bar. Along these lines, you can align the position of rounded and rectangular sinks.
How to choose and independently install a faucet for a kitchen sink?
When choosing a mixer, you need to pay attention to the height of the tap. Too high when used will create a lot of spatter. It is difficult to wash large dishes under a low faucet. Kitchen faucets can have a flexible hose with a nozzle.
The faucet can be mounted separately, in the countertop next to the mortise or integrated sink. On the side of the overhead models, standard holes for the mixer are provided. The lower part of the device is placed in the hole, where flexible hoses for hot and cold water are connected. Fastening is carried out according to the instructions for the mixer model.
To make holes and install a sink, you will need the following tools:
- a set of screwdrivers and drills;
- file and sandpaper;
- long ruler or tape measure;
- silicone sealant.
For the installation of integrated models, you need a hand router with a rebate nozzle.