Hanging shelves for the kitchen allow you to avoid clutter and optimally organize the surrounding space. Thanks to the open shelves for the kitchen, the room will seem more spacious, and the beautiful design will give an aesthetic look.
What can replace wall cabinets
Habitual wall-mounted kitchen cabinets are not always convenient, because they take up a lot of space, and in order to take the right thing or product, you need to open the doors. Replacing cabinets with shelves instead of wall cabinets can help save space, as kitchen shelves can be used to place items so they’re always in plain sight.
Advantages and disadvantages of such a solution
The advantages of using kitchen hanging shelves include:
- Depending on the material of manufacture, kitchen shelves can withstand quite a lot of weight, even pots and pans can be stored.
- Installation does not require special skills, because the shelf fastenings are easy to use.
- Everything is in plain sight.
- Fits well with kitchen design.
The disadvantages of using it include:
- Perhaps it is more aesthetically pleasing to store some products or items in closed cabinets.
- Deficiencies may relate to the material. Plastic ones can not withstand a lot of weight and break, while wooden ones can swell with frequent contact with water.
And yet, giving preference to kitchen shelves or kitchen cabinets is a matter of personal taste, because both options, with the right design, can look beautiful and stylish. An interesting option could be a combination of kitchen cabinets and shelves in the interior.
Kitchen wall shelves can be made from a variety of materials, allowing them to be used for different purposes and in different design styles. The cost of such furniture also depends on the material of manufacture. For example, plastic ones belong to the economy class, while stone or acrylic ones are a more expensive option. There are plastic, wooden, metal, glass, stone shelves.
Wooden ones are environmentally friendly, high strength and light weight. And if they are treated with a special solution that will protect them from decay, moisture and insects, they will serve you for a long time.
Metal kitchen products with thin fixtures, bronze or steel grates, chrome-plated details look beautiful and elegant. At the same time, they are distinguished by strength, lightness of construction and durability. Unlike wood, metal products do not deform from high humidity and high temperatures. When using a hanging mount, they can be removed for wet cleaning.
They give the impression of fragility and grace, although they can be quite strong. Visually enlarge the space, fill it with light. Artistic painting or built-in lighting from multi-colored light bulbs looks beautiful on them.
For kitchen shelves to be durable, the thickness of the glass must be at least 8–10 mm.
They look beautiful, give the interior charm and solidity. The strongest and most durable of all. They can accommodate especially heavy things and objects.
When installing, you need to take into account the severity of the material and the features of the walls. Such furniture cannot be attached to plasterboard walls.
Shelf design and options
For different types of design, kitchen shelves made of different materials and in various versions are suitable. White shelves will suit the Provence style, a kitchen shelf for plates made of wood — to the country style, etc.
Hinged kitchen shelves in the style of Provence, or in the style of the French village, should be open, light colors. Wood products painted in light colors with artistic carvings will fit well into this style. White dishes, pottery, small vases with bouquets of lavender or other dried flowers are perfect for white shelves. You can also arrange baskets with fruits and vegetables.
Country style kitchen
The kitchen interior in country style should reflect the simplicity of rural life. Therefore, glass, metal and plastic kitchen furniture will not work here.
Country style is wooden kitchen furniture in light and dark colors, or at least imitation wood. Shelves should be open, unpretentious, without any special decorations. Such a kitchen shelf is perfect for plates and other utensils. One of their appearance should create a cozy and homely atmosphere. Some shelves can be decorated with light cotton curtains.
A special place in the interior is occupied by corner kitchen shelves. They allow you to make the most efficient use of the kitchen space and decorate the corners decoratively. They are well suited for small rooms, because such furniture is compact and takes up little space. Open corner hanging shelves can be two-level. They will look great indoor plants in flower pots or planters, elegant vases. The shelf material should match the overall interior.
Place for installing shelves as storage systems and a decorative element of the kitchen interior
Kitchen shelves can be installed:
- in the same place where the hanging cabinets were. By replacing bulky wall cabinets with shelves, you will free up space, the kitchen will visually become larger;
- as elements connecting cabinets;
- in a niche: short shelves in a niche will help to perfectly organize the space and give additional comfort;
- above the table: it is convenient to store spices, seasonings, bread and other products on narrow shelves above the table;
- they can fill the space between the wall and the closet.
- Such a wall shelf can be used for interior decoration: as coasters for flower pots, candles, table lamps, etc.
Kitchen hanging shelves can be a great alternative to hanging cabinets and a design element of the entire room. They will help free up space and create a cozy atmosphere.