When installing a sink, you need to know how to assemble a sink siphon in the kitchen to ensure that water flows into the sewer. For the most part, siphon designs are simple and do not require the involvement of a professional plumber. You can install them yourself, and in most cases manually, and in rare exceptions, using the simplest tools. But since there are different types of water seals, it is necessary to understand their features and differences.
The purpose of the siphon
Installing a siphon in the kitchen is carried out not only to drain dirty water into the sewer, but also to prevent the penetration of unpleasant odors into the room. Due to the curved shape, a water plug forms in the pipe, which isolates the air space of the kitchen from the sewer. But this does not prevent the flow of liquid.
Types of siphons: designs and materials
All sink drains are made of plastic or metal. Plastic are divided into:
- Polyethylene. They have a simple design and a small number of connections.
- Polypropylene. More common, because the parts of the sink siphon are stiffer and the connections are more reliable. This allows you to keep the shape of the product.
- Polymers. This material is less susceptible to thermal expansion, so it must be chosen if a washing machine is planned to be installed in the kitchen.
Metal products are more expensive than plastic ones. The most commonly used materials are brass and bronze. They do not corrode, but oxidize, therefore they are subjected to:
- chrome plating;
The most expensive are stainless steel sink siphons. Due to the high cost, they did not gain popularity.
Plastic sink traps are more popular because they are easy to adjust to the inlet and outlet.
When choosing a metal product, you need to know exactly the location of the drain and sewer connector.
According to the type of structures, hydraulic barriers are:
- with overflow.
Siphon with overflow for the sink has an additional pipe. It connects to the overflow hole in the sink. Drainage can help prevent flooding. This type of hydraulic barrier is the most popular. Almost all siphons are equipped with an additional tube. It is necessary to purchase such a product only if there is an overflow hole in the sink.
Drainage in its appearance resembles a curved pipe. Water collects in the bend, which creates a plug and prevents the penetration of unpleasant odors into the room. This is the most compact type of device. Installation of a metal siphon is most often done in bathrooms. This is due to the fact that the sink in the bathroom does not get as much garbage and food waste as in the kitchen. And dismantling the knee is more difficult than in other types of device.
Also, pipe hydraulic barriers have a shallow bend for a water plug. If the sink is not used for a long time, the water from the knee evaporates, and sewer odors spread throughout the room. In case of clogging, not the entire device is removed, but only the lower knee.
This is the simplest and cheapest type of siphon, which consists of a corrugated tube and connecting elements. The product is flexible, therefore it is easily mounted to the sewer in any places and at different angles. To create a water lock, you need to manually bend the hose into a U or S shape and fix it. This is especially useful in cases where the distance between the floor and the sink is small.
The disadvantages are:
- No intermediate connections. In the event of a leak, it is necessary to change the entire kit, and not its individual elements.
- Difficulty cleaning. Since the pipe is non-separable, to remove the blockage, it is necessary to completely flush the siphon.
- Deposits quickly form on the inner walls.
This model is the most common. It got its name due to the design features that resemble a flask or bottle. The following advantages of a bottle water seal for sinks are distinguished:
- the compartment in which debris accumulates and clogging most often occurs is easy to unscrew and remove;
- has a long service life;
- water never leaves completely, therefore it reliably provides protection against sewer odors;
- there is an overflow that prevents flooding of the room;
- small valuables missed in the sink remain in the water tank, so they are easy to get by unscrewing the flask.
Before installing a siphon in the kitchen, preparatory work should be carried out. These include:
- Checking the completeness and integrity. It is necessary to check the presence of all parts of the water seal, especially rubber or silicone gaskets. Since manufacturers pack plastic models in soft materials, some parts may be damaged during transportation. Threaded connections must be smooth, free of burrs or damage.
- Preparation of tools and materials. During the installation process you will need:
- insulating tape;
- flat screwdriver;
- gasket or sealant.
- Dismantling the previous water seal for the sink. It is removed along with the supply to the sewer. To prevent water from getting on the floor, substitute a bucket or basin under the sink.
- If the previous siphon is cast iron, it must be knocked out of the cement. This should be done so that pipe fragments do not fall into the sewer pipe. Otherwise, the drain will often become clogged.
- If the clutch is no longer usable, it is replaced. The pipe is being cleaned.
If you purchased a sink for the kitchen, then you need to assemble the drain for the sink in the following sequence:
- Take the bottom of the bottle seal and install the large flat gasket so that it fits snugly and without distortion to the plastic part.
- Then screw on the screw cap and tighten it tightly. Do not pinch, otherwise the gasket may be damaged.
- There are holes of different diameters on the top and side of the siphon. It is necessary to select the appropriate union nuts and cone gaskets for them.
- On the pipe, which will be attached to the sink, we put on the union nut and the cone gasket. It should be borne in mind that the seal must be put on with the blunt side to the nut, and the sharp side must go into the hydraulic seal. The distance from the sharp edge of the gasket to the end of the pipe should be 4–6 cm.
- We assemble the pipe and siphon together. The tube should go into the top hole. Then tighten the nut and tighten tightly.
- A union nut and a conical gasket are put on the corrugated tube with a blunt end to the tube. After that, insert the tube into the middle hole of the siphon, tighten the nut and tighten tightly.
Installing a siphon on a sink
The assembled siphon under the sink can also be installed by hand. For this you need:
- Make sure there is a metal nut in the pipe.
- Since the thicker and wider gasket will be attached under the sink, it is installed on the socket.
- A gasket and a metal mesh are placed in the drain hole in the sink-sink. A screw is threaded into the center of the grid.
- A siphon is installed under the sink so that the screw gets into the metal nut. It is twisted and clamped with a screwdriver. Do not tighten the bolt too tightly, so as not to deform the rubber gasket.
Now that you know how to properly install the siphon under the sink, you can consider the next step. When the mesh (grid) is fixed in the drain pipe, a connection to the sewer is necessary. To do this, a rubber seal should be installed in the sewer pipe. The pipe must have a threaded socket.
Then a cap nut is put on the end of the corrugated hose with an extension. The corrugation is inserted into the sewer pipe and clamped with a nut. If the fixation is not tight enough, the junction of the corrugation with the nut is wrapped with insulating tape. The seal created in this way will prevent sewer odors from entering the room.
Disposer, or grinder for food waste for the sink
The task of the disposer is to grind food waste that accidentally or deliberately fell into the sink into gruel and protect the system from blockages.
It is installed in front of the siphon and connected directly to the sink. When using a disposer, do not use corrugated tubes, as shredded waste will remain in the folds of the tube.
You can connect it to almost any sink and to any siphon. It is only important that there is free space under the sink.