If the question is how to hang kitchen cabinets on the wall, you should consider the location of each piece of furniture. The installation method is determined taking into account the subtleties of the design, and the type of fasteners is selected, taking into account the weight of the products. Before installation, it is recommended to assess the condition of the wall. If the plaster crumbles, it is necessary to carry out restoration work. After that, you can proceed directly to the installation of furniture on the wall.
How to place correctly?
There are a few simple rules:
- the availability of food, dishes and other kitchen utensils that are stored in the cabinet — to ensure this possibility, it is recommended to place furniture at a given distance from the countertop, and not under the ceiling;
- cabinets should not interfere with air circulation, so they are installed next to the ventilation grill, while blocking the entrance to the channel is prohibited;
- pieces of furniture in the kitchen are arranged so that they do not spoil the geometry of the room.
If the question is how to hang kitchen cabinets, you should know that they are located at a relatively low height. The distance between the tabletop and the lower end of the piece of furniture should vary between 45–60 cm.
There is enough distance to place all kitchen appliances on the table. Moreover, more often they choose an option within 45–50 cm. A distance of 65 cm and above in most cases determines the position of the hood (from the countertop to its lower edge).
You should also focus on the growth of the residents of the house. Possible options:
- With a person’s height in the range of 155–160 cm, the recommended height from the floor to the top shelf is 175 cm.
- If the height is 160–170 cm, the top shelf should be located at a height of 190 cm.
- For tall house owners (height 170–190 cm), the option is suitable when the top shelf is at a height of 200 cm.
If you do not focus on these recommendations, it will be difficult to freely use the dishes and kitchen utensils located in the cabinets. You will have to use a stool for this purpose. In addition, you need to check at the installation stage that the hanging furniture is level. Any distortions can lead to the collapse of part of the kitchen utensils. In this case, the appearance of the interior also deteriorates. Use the building level to check the position of the cabinets.
Almost always, hanging and floor furniture are arranged so that they are on top of each other. Otherwise, the headset will not look organic, symmetry will be lost. If necessary, cabinets are placed above or below existing standard values. However, before you finally drill holes in the wall, you should make sure that a person can easily reach the top shelf. Recommendations for calculating the installation height of cabinets:
- determine the height of all residents of the apartment, take the average value — if you focus only on 1 family member (highest or lowest), then it will be inconvenient for the rest to use furniture;
- take into account the dimensions of the upper cabinets;
- the most harmonious look is the headset, which occupies most of the wall, for this reason, when choosing, you need to focus on the height of the ceilings of the room;
- sometimes it is important to make the backsplash high enough (for example, when installing specific decor elements, the upper cabinets rise additionally);
- take into account the style direction in which the headset is made (sometimes it is necessary to place cabinets at some distance from each other).
Rules for preparing the wall
Before installation, the working surfaces (rough) are put in order. The most important points:
- The walls are checked for curvature. In this case, you should use a level, a building level of great length.
- Assess the condition of the corners. The walls here should form an angle of 90 ° C.
- Installation of sockets, gating of rough surfaces — these actions are completed before the process of attaching kitchen cabinets to the wall begins. The same should be the approach to the layout of water communications, sewerage.
- Finishing work in progress. Cabinets in the kitchen are installed after the end of the wall cladding, otherwise the joints between the pieces of furniture and the finishing material will be visible.
To prepare the walls, it is recommended to remove the flaws: the depressions are smoothed out with plaster mixtures, the bumps are knocked down, and the irregularities are puttied and polished.
If the walls are undulating, it is recommended to remove the old layer of plaster down to the brick/concrete. Then the partition is finished from scratch. In the case when the cabinets are hung on undulating surfaces without eliminating the defects, the furniture will be uneven. This will negatively affect the interior.
Marking on the wall
First of all, you need to measure the cabinets. In this case, the most important parameters are: the height of the product, its width and the distance from the side surface and the upper end to the mounting hole. These dimensions will need to be transferred to the supporting structure / partition. If you are interested in the answer to the question of how to hang the cabinet evenly, you should follow the instructions:
- First, cabinets are installed — each in its place on the floor.
- Determine the distance between the countertop and the bottom end of the cabinets. It is necessary to make marks in several places. Then the thread is pulled or a building level of great length is used to get a straight line.
- From the resulting marking line, it is necessary to set aside a distance that corresponds to the height of the cabinets. In this case, you should act in this way: several marks are made, then a solid line is drawn. Wardrobes will be located in this area.
- Then the furniture attachment points are determined. To do this, you need to transfer the previously obtained measurements (distance from the side surface / end section of the cabinet to the hole for fasteners) to the wall. These steps are repeated several times until all points that are important for fixing wall-mounted furniture are marked.
The work will use:
- drill / screwdriver;
- manual screwdriver;
- level / building level.
Depending on the installation method, fasteners are selected. Use screws, dowels, self-tapping screws. Additionally, hinges, a mounting rail may be required. Such fasteners are purchased individually. Fasteners are also selected taking into account the type of material from which the wall is made. For example, for drywall, Molly dowels should be purchased, for concrete / brick, a standard dowel will do. Mounting work on a wooden wall is carried out using hardened screws.
The use of dowels is the easiest way to install cabinets on structures made of different materials. In former times, corners were used for this purpose. Today, this method has lost its relevance. It was replaced by a mounting rail. If the question is being decided how to hang a kitchen cabinet on the wall, a specific device called a hinge is also considered.
The use of such fasteners improves the reliability of the structure. Cabinets are hung on a horizontally oriented bar, which is called a mounting rail. It has several holes. The main task is to mount this element on the wall. It remains only to fix the cabinets with screws. The advantage of this solution is that there is no need to regularly use the building level to control the position of furniture.
The use of self-tapping screws for spot mounting individual cabinets does not provide a long service life. If you fix the furniture with a mounting rail, you can not only quickly mount the headset, but also get a structure that will be used for a long period. However, to ensure that the cabinets are level, you will need to carefully check the position of the mounting rail.
This type of fastener allows you to adjust the position of furniture in a horizontal plane. Installation instructions:
- A cabinet is placed between the previously applied marking lines. It is held to mark the points for installing the dowel.
- A hole is drilled according to the markup.
- Then you need to take the cabinet again and hold it in its original position (between the lines on the wall). The point of the second fastener is marked. First, you should check whether the product is level.
- Install hangers for kitchen cabinets. After that, you can fix the product on the wall.
Hanging on a plasterboard wall
If you try to fix a fairly heavy structure on an unreliable partition, the furniture may collapse after a while. To avoid this, in the case when it is necessary to hang cabinets on a plasterboard wall, the only option is considered — mounting on a bar, which is an element of the partition design. In this case, the weight of the upper part of the headset is transferred to the most reliable area, made of metal. Fixing pieces of furniture is carried out using special dowels.
If the question is solved, how to properly hang kitchen cabinets, you should be guided by the instructions:
- A magnet is used to search for fasteners in a drywall sheet.
- Correlate the distance between the nearest screws inside the partition structure and the size that determines the location of the hinges on the cabinets. If necessary, an intermediate bar is used for fastening. This method will redistribute the load on the entire partition.
- Heavy furniture is fixed on the wall of plasterboard with the help of anchors, screws of great length. The partition is drilled through to get to the supporting structure.
The intermediate bar should be installed just below the top end of the cabinet (3–4 mm). If the plaster crumbles when you try to drill holes, you can take a drill with a smaller diameter. When the hole is ready, you should return to the original version of the tool. In addition, it is necessary to take into account the location of the wiring. When drilling holes for large fasteners, the probability of accidental deformation of the wires increases.
If a clamp is used to fix pieces of furniture, wedges made of wood or a piece of plastic should be used. Improvised tools help prevent deformation of the material from which the cabinets are made. After the first piece of furniture is fixed, you should adjust the adjustable hangers for kitchen cabinets.