Previously, a buffet could be found in almost every home: it could be located both in the kitchen and in the dining area. The sideboard for the kitchen is used not only as a place to store household utensils, but also as an interior element that creates an atmosphere of comfort and harmony. The use of ecological materials and large capacity are the main advantages that justify buying or making an antique sideboard. However, this piece of furniture is now rarely practiced, given its high cost.
What is a buffet
Creating a comfortable atmosphere, the buffet in the interior can be presented in various versions. Most often, a classic sideboard is a wardrobe divided into two parts. At the top is a cabinet with glass doors. They can be of two types:
- fully transparent doors through which you can see the contents;
- a small transparent window through which only part of the kitchen utensils can be seen.
The lower part is represented by a cabinet with closed doors, often on the shelves of which dishes and other items are often placed. Shelves are made quite roomy, allowing you to hide large-sized kitchen utensils (pots, pans, household appliances).
Between the upper and lower parts of the furniture there is an open tabletop, where the housewives put a bread box, vases, figurines.
In addition to the classic version, buffets are often closed or open. In the first version, the lower and upper shelves will be closed, and in the second — open.
The sideboard for the kitchen can be made in an old antique look, in a country style that does not involve pretentious finishes, or Provence, made in white with many open shelves.
How to restore an old buffet
If you inherited antique furniture, then do not rush to get rid of it. With the help of imagination, it will be possible to bring the closet into the proper form and get a functional piece of furniture. Knowing how to update an old sideboard, even an inexperienced beginner can cope with the restoration, although this will take a lot of time. Having restored furniture with minimal material costs, you can get a designer version that will last more than one year. And the use of different methods of restoration allows you to get a lot of options for the buffet.
Materials and tools for work
Restoring old furniture with your own hands is a simple, but troublesome business. You will be able to accurately determine the necessary inventory only when you decide from what and what you will remake your furniture. You can stick to the general list of materials and inventory, without taking into account the decoration process. To remake an old sideboard with your own hands, you will need the following set of tools:
- Sandpaper, necessary for grinding the surface.
- A metal spatula and solvent will be needed if traces of old varnish remain on the furniture.
- Hammer, pliers, screwdrivers are necessary for the assembly and disassembly of furniture.
- Pens. Antique wooden sideboards should have the appropriate fittings to create a unified look.
- Putty or wax is useful to eliminate cracks and other irregularities.
- Brushes of various sizes.
- Oil and acrylic paints, stain.
- Wood glue, masking tape.
- Ruler and tape measure.
If you still decide to repair the buffet with your own hands, you should be patient and time. Having decided what you want to get from the restoration, you can get down to business. Complete restoration of furniture at home is carried out in several stages:
- Analysis of all separating elements of the cupboard (handles, shelves, mirrors).
- Removing the old coating is the most troublesome stage. It is best to do this outside or on spread paper so that pieces of paint and dust do not damage the floor. The use of special solutions allows you to achieve cleaning results in a short time (about 20 minutes).
- Cleaning of dust: it is necessary to wash the furniture both inside and out.
- Putty and sanding.
- Priming and painting.
- Application of decorative elements.
- After the paint is completely dry, apply varnish (double coat).
- Buffet collection.
Restoration of antique furniture can be carried out partially. At the same time, the reconstruction concerns only the lacquer coating, which is damaged in some places.
The algorithm consists of the following steps:
- With the help of gasoline, remove the remaining fat from the surface.
- With an iron washcloth, remove the layer of varnish from the dried area.
- After removing the remaining dust from the varnish with a dry cloth, apply a fresh coat of varnish. Please note that the varnish should be selected the same as was used previously.
To update the exterior of the sideboard with your own hands, several methods are used: decoupage, decoration, repainting and artificial aging. The design of the buffet depends entirely on the preferences of the owner.
Painting an old sideboard in colors that were fashionable 60 years ago will not only refresh the look of the furniture, but also give it originality. Blue, gold and white colors were especially popular then. To repaint furniture, you must adhere to the following algorithm of actions:
- Remove old paint and varnish, sand the surface.
- Install suitable furniture fittings.
- Paint the sideboard.
- Coat with varnish (after the paint has dried).
To perform decoupage, you will need napkins with the selected pattern, glue, acrylic paint and varnish. After cleaning and painting the surface, it is necessary to prepare a drawing. To do this, an additional layer of paper is removed from the napkins and an ornament is cut out. Glue is applied to the surface where the pattern will be, and the pattern itself is applied. The edges of the pattern are re-coated with a thin layer of glue, which, after complete drying, are varnished.
With the help of special stencils, you can decorate an old sideboard. At the same time, you can buy samples in the store or independently choose the pattern you like on the Internet. The decoration technique is quite simple: after attaching the ornament to the surface, you need to carefully cover it with paint.
There are several ways to age furniture:
- With the help of craquelure varnish. This method allows you to get antique furniture in a short period of time. Having prepared the sideboard for painting (you must first remove the old paint), craquelure varnish is applied to the surface. After it dries, varnish the surface. This creates the effect of an old cracked canvas.
- Mechanical “aging”:
- after cleaning from varnish and paint, water stain is applied as a base;
- the most conspicuous places are clarified with a moistened sponge;
- polished places that should be darker;
- a stain is applied with a different base;
- using a brush, a shellac primer is applied to all places;
- restoration wax is rubbed with a metal brush.
How to make a buffet with your own hands
You can make a buffet with your own hands. The method of manufacturing this piece of furniture is as follows:
- Project development. Creating a drawing and defining all the elements is an important point in the manufacture of a sideboard. Important elements are: body, shelves, drawers, doors, fixtures and handles.
- Parts manufacturing. If you have the skills, you can make the parts yourself, and in their absence, you can order in the workshop.
- Assembly of finished parts. To do this, you will need a screwdriver or drill and fasteners. In this case, it is necessary to adhere to the following sequence of actions:
- creating a framework;
- attaching backs to the frame;
- hanging the upper part and installing supports;
- fixing shelves and installing doors.
When making a buffet, you need to decide on its style. Classic cabinets are traditional sideboard options that only an experienced carpenter can complete, and besides, the price of such furniture will be too high. A buffet in Provence or country style is most often found in living rooms and kitchens, because it is much easier to make it (cheaper materials are used in the manufacture).
A sideboard for dishes, first of all, should be practical and have open and closed shelves, as well as drawers.
In houses with a small kitchen, housewives manage to acquire this piece of furniture. In order to save space, sideboards are made specifically for the size of the kitchen or dining room (narrower, lower and less deep).
What to make — the choice of materials
The most expensive and durable option is a sideboard made of wood. Having an aristocratic appearance, the semi-antique sideboard is made from noble types of wood. Decorate such furniture with engraving or carving on the plinth, facade or cornices. Furniture is made not only from wood, but also from plastic, acrylic and glass.
A less expensive option is furniture made of chipboard and MDF. The processing of these materials using different methods allows you to imitate the effect of antiquity.