The kitchen cabinet, used for various structures, is the main component of the furniture design. Any hostess dreams of a beautiful and functional kitchen. If you have decided to make repairs in the kitchen or moved to another apartment, you should think about the design and rationality of using the workspace. At the same time, you always want to buy a quality kitchen set at an affordable price.
Features and Benefits
The cabinet is the most important attribute that forms the basis of the entire kitchen frame. Having a different shape and design, the kitchen set allows you to rationally use the work area. This attribute combines two important components, such as functionality and ergonomics.
The cabinet for the kitchen is used not only as a storage for dishes and other utensils, but also as a countertop and even a kitchen table; a washing machine and a dishwasher are built into them. This cabinet type of furniture is installed in any order, optimally occupying the space of the kitchen.
The dimensions of the cabinets must be selected taking into account the dimensions of the kitchen itself. Therefore, before choosing a set, it is necessary to carefully measure the kitchen area. For accurate results, count every centimeter.
The standard dimensions of the cabinets are: depth — 50–80 cm, height — 90–110 cm.
The depth of the cabinet should correspond to its purpose. So, if it has built-in appliances or a sink, then the cabinet should be at least 10 cm deeper. In the case when furniture is used for storage, its depth can be selected individually.
As for the height of kitchen furniture, consider the height of a person: for non-standard parameters, it is better to make a custom-made kitchen.
Variety of species
A wide range allows you to choose the most diverse forms of kitchen sets, the most suitable both in terms of the size of the space and the interior.
A bedside table with shelves is a standard option that looks like a simple locker. Kitchen cabinets with drawers can be of different sizes. Small boxes are placed on top, and large ones, designed for bulky kitchen utensils, are placed below. Although there are options with the same size boxes.
A universal option — a set with doors and drawers. It allows you to store both small and large items.
under the sink
A kitchen floor cabinet with a countertop can combine two designs at the same time. Its optimal width is 60 cm: this is enough to place a standard sink on the surface of the countertop. Using a cabinet under the sink will allow you to hide the trash can, sewer pipes or place boxes for storing vegetables.
For small apartments, narrow wall and floor cabinets are produced. They occupy a minimum of space, without creating the effect of isolation and tightness. The most common types of narrow cabinets are:
- A pencil case is a column with numerous shelves, which is most often placed at the end of a working headset.
- Mounted. The most popular are hanging vertical cabinets.
- A pull-out cabinet is an indispensable thing for tall bottles and cans.
For kitchen appliances
Using cabinets to house household appliances is a winning option for any kitchen. The cabinet under the oven consists only of a base and two sidewalls: a hob is placed at the top, and an oven is placed at the bottom. Sometimes a small drawer is built under the oven.
The option with a dishwasher is also often used, the placement of which inside the cabinet makes the kitchen more functional.
A less common option are open cabinets with shelves (without doors). Sometimes they use a combination of shelves without doors with hinged drawers.
With extendable table
If you equip the kitchen with retractable structures to save space, then a retractable table is a suitable option for a small family. Using a transforming table will be the right solution in terms of space for a small kitchen, allowing you to use part of the kitchen set as a dining area.
To create a seasoned interior, every detail is taken into account: even the legs and doors of kitchen cabinets.
There are the following types of doors:
- Swing. Of all types of doors, this option is the easiest and most convenient to use. However, it is not suitable for small kitchens: open doors take up a lot of space.
- Folding. Using this type of furniture allows you to open the nightstand with one finger, while the doors are directed either up or down.
- Sliding. They are used for small kitchens, while taking up a minimum of space, but limiting the depth of the cabinet.
- Folding. This configuration is extremely rare.
The base of the kitchen structure must be stable. It can be presented in the form of legs or a plinth.
Open legs for kitchen cabinets are made of metal, plastic or wood. Sometimes, for the stability of the structure, the number of legs may not be 4, but more.
The plinth is used both as a base and as a decorative facade. For its production is used:
- Chipboard — the cheapest material with a wide color palette;
- MDF is a higher quality material compared to chipboard, which is characterized by an increased cost;
- PVC, which is not afraid of mechanical damage and moisture, does not fade in the sun;
- aluminum is the most expensive, but environmentally friendly material.
How to choose
Depending on the type of construction, kitchen floor cabinets with a worktop can be:
- Embedded. Such cabinets are installed in a specially designated place in the structure or in the wall.
- Cabinet — autonomous bedside tables, the location of which can always be changed.
- Modular — models are installed element by element, so they can also be interchanged.
When choosing a countertop, you should pay attention to the material used.
Most often, countertops are made from the following materials:
- Laminated chipboard. This inexpensive material has moisture-resistant and impact-resistant properties. Its major drawback is its short lifespan.
- artificial stone. These countertops are durable and low maintenance.
- Natural wood. Wood slats are the most expensive material, practically not subject to deformation. However, they must be carefully looked after and constantly polished.
- natural stone. They can be made from granite, onyx and marble and require special care.
We make a cabinet with our own hands
Having decided to build a structure with your own hands, you need to carefully take measurements and think through all the nuances. Having decided on the design, you should design and calculate each element of furniture. It will be possible to do this with the help of a computer program: having indicated the dimensions of the room, you begin to design. After that, set the size of the boards and install the product in the right place. Having dealt with the design principle, this task will not seem very difficult.
You can make a sink cabinet — this is an easier option for beginner builders. It consists of 2 sides, bottom plinth, bottom, top braces and a door. Details of kitchen cabinets can be made of wood, chipboard and other materials. At the same time, it is necessary to stock up on tools without which it is impossible to make furniture: a drill, a screwdriver, self-tapping screws, a tape measure, etc.
Having learned how to make furniture for the sink, you can proceed to the next step — making a bedside table for dishes in the kitchen with your own hands. Here, in addition to the external structure, special attention should be paid to the internal shelves.
By making each component of the kitchen set in turn, you will learn how to make more complex structures, assemble and install them in the kitchen.