A small kitchen with a breakfast bar is a good option to save space, so this interior element has long been practiced in small apartments. If the area does not allow the use of a standard dining table, then you should consider installing a bar counter. With the right design, its use will be not only interesting, but also a functional solution.
The secrets of choosing comfortable furniture for a small kitchen
If you are the owner of an apartment with a small area, then this is not a reason to deny yourself the original interior. Small corner kitchens with a breakfast bar are increasingly common among people who are accustomed to living in a dynamic rhythm. Young people who are not fond of cooking are happy to consider this way of decorating the kitchen space. Families with children and the elderly are more likely to opt for a classic dining table: children often fall off high bar stools, and the elderly do not like innovation.
Small kitchen interior
In the process of installing a bar counter in a small kitchen, it is necessary to take into account the relevance of this approach. First of all, the bar counter should fit ergonomically into the interior. A lot of lockers and decorative elements will need to be immediately abandoned — this layout is not for a small room. In such cases, most often they use a narrow table top with empty space where chairs can be pushed.
You can beat the dining area with additional lighting. Place the functional rack in a vertical space; there will fit glasses, decorative elements or fruits. The main thing is not to overload the interior with an excessive amount of details.
Options for a narrow kitchen
A narrow kitchen requires careful planning. To accommodate the necessary furniture, you can move the dining area to another room or use the bar counter instead of the dining table. A rack located along the wall will take up little space, and a well-chosen design can act as a dining table or become a seating area.
Rack for the kitchen in Khrushchev
The apartment in Khrushchev is not large, so the kitchen area here is small. To create a presentable kitchen design in Khrushchev, you need to make a lot of effort, because every centimeter is important here. Small kitchens are not designed for family gatherings.
In this case, bar counters will give an interesting and unique atmosphere to the room. They are made of glass, wood or the same material as the desktop. The correct selection of the material of manufacture and color scheme will allow you to harmoniously fit the bar counter into the environment.
Design errors include:
- Incorrectly thought out dimensions: a bar top that is too small may not fulfill the requirements assigned to it, and too large will take up a lot of space.
- Inconvenient location.
- Too dark colors, which will further reduce the space in the room.
- Savings on the material for the countertop, which will soon lose its presentable appearance because of this.
- Inappropriate interior design.
Corner kitchen with breakfast bar
In the corner kitchen, there are several ways to place the bar area:
- an elongated countertop that will continue the kitchen set;
- additional stand as a separate element.
In the first option, the continuation of the working area will increase the space for eating and cooking. The height of the countertop will correspond to the height of the work surface.
The second option uses a stand-alone rack, its height can be from 110 to 130 cm. It does not have to have a design similar to the rest of the work surface, but most often these interior elements are made the same. The table top, the shape of which can be either rounded or rectangular, is most often attached to the wall or rests on a bar. Please note that previously used chairs are not suitable for this layout: you will need to get special bar stools.
In addition to the classic versions of mobile furniture in the kitchen, there is another one — transforming bar counters. A folding bar counter in a small kitchen is a practical solution. Transformers are:
- Retractable. This design uses a roller mechanism or wheels: the bar counter slides under the countertop, the surfaces of which most often coincide.
- Folding. The tabletop is attached to the wall with brackets, which allows it to be raised and lowered at any time.
- Folding. The design, although complex, allows you to save space to the maximum. The area is increased by raising and fixing the lowered part.
- Swivel. This is the simplest mechanism for organizing a full-fledged workspace. When planning, such a structure must be properly designed so that the surface of the turntable can freely hide.
Thanks to a simple mechanism, transformers allow you to quickly organize the right place without compromising the rest of the space.
Window rack placement
The kitchenette with a bar by the window looks quite stylish. The window sill, which has become a more functional element, acts as a table and allows you to admire the street landscape while eating. It is better to think over the design of the window sill initially when planning repairs. In this case, you should pay attention to the rules:
- the use of a window sill should not interfere with air circulation around the radiator;
- the window should be 1.5 cm or more higher than the countertop;
- the material from which the countertop is made must be wear-resistant;
- it is necessary to use wall lamps or sconces as additional lighting.
Adhering to these rules will avoid design and zoning errors.
Table or stand
If you still have not decided whether to get a bar table instead of a table, you can try to combine these two elements of the interior. The bar counter combined with the dining table suggests a two-level option: the lower level acts as a dining table, and the upper one as a bar area. For families with children, this option will be the most successful: children will not have to sit on high chairs, and adults will be able to afford to enjoy such an interior detail as a bar table.