A sofa in the kitchen can be a good solution if you choose the right model for which there will be enough space in this functional room. Kitchen spaces today come in a wide variety of sizes and configurations. The range of sofas is also characterized by a high variety. This allows you to choose a good option for literally any kitchen, if it is not too small to accommodate additional furniture.
The owners of an apartment or house must first of all decide for what purpose a sofa is installed in a kitchen setting. Is it needed only to increase the comfort of family members during meals, or is this piece of furniture considered as an extra bed that will be used on a permanent or occasional basis. Depending on this and a number of other factors, the appropriate sofa design is selected.
Which sofa to install in the kitchen
Depending on the specifics of the kitchen room, one or another model can be used in it. For example, in a spacious kitchen-studio, the kitchen sofa can be a classic large version, placed in the center of the interior space or against a long blank wall. In a small or medium kitchen, installing a large piece of upholstered furniture will not work. Therefore, small models of a straight or angular type are selected here, allowing you to enrich the space near the dining table with an additional seat.
Having firmly decided to equip the kitchen with upholstered furniture, the owners must take into account many factors when choosing the right sofa. The aesthetic characteristics of the sofa here should be combined not only with the style of the kitchen, but also with the functional characteristics of the room. The kitchen environment should be practical, comfortable, spacious enough for cooking. In addition, pieces of furniture should not interfere with the movement of people in the kitchen, the transfer of necessary utensils or products.
Equipping the dining area of the kitchen, one should not forget about its practical purpose. Therefore, the sofa in the area for rest and eating should not limit the space where food is prepared, utensils and food are stored, dishes are washed. In addition, the sofa should be selected in such a way as to be combined with other interior items, not only in terms of external style, but also in terms of size and design parameters.
How to choose
Traditionally, the choice of furniture is based on the individual tastes of the owners of the apartment or on the advice of the designer. However, it is important to highlight some general criteria that determine the correctness of the acquisition of furnishings for a particular room. So, choosing the best option for a kitchen sofa, you need to consider the following points:
|The size and configuration of the structure.||Modern sofas as comfortable upholstered furniture have a variety of sizes. The dimensions of the kitchen sofas are chosen so as to harmoniously fit them both into the dining area and into the general space of the room. It is necessary to first measure the place that this piece of upholstered furniture can take to the maximum, and then consider suitable models, taking into account other parameters.|
|Design, look, colors.||If the seating area includes a comfortable and aesthetic sofa, it looks like a central interior space in the kitchen. In appearance, upholstered furniture here should be combined with other objects, wallpaper, curtains. At the same time, you should not choose too light colors for the upholstery, because while eating there is a high probability of dropping or spilling something on the seat, staining the sofa badly.|
|Upholstery material.||Furniture in the kitchen should be not only beautiful, but also practical. In the case of a sofa, the choice of upholstery plays a significant role. The material must be non-staining, wear-resistant, easy to clean and launder. If the owners prefer beautiful fabric upholstery, then it is advisable to give preference to jacquard, flock, tapestry. But the most practical upholstery option when choosing soft sofas for kitchens is genuine leather, eco-leather, leatherette.|
|Functional characteristics of the design.||The sofa can perform not only the function of a seat or a place to relax. If its design includes internal hidden drawers, then this is the best option for storage. Inside will accommodate small household appliances, food, kitchen utensils, household items. If the size of the room allows you to lay out the sofa, then the latter will become a comfortable additional place to sleep.|
If you take into account these criteria, you will be able to choose a sofa that will become both a decoration of the kitchen interior and a practical, useful, functional thing. The range of kitchen sofas, presented today in furniture stores, allows you to realize the different needs and desires of the owners of the apartments.
Narrow sofa instead of chairs
A narrow sofa in the kitchen is the best option for small or medium-sized rooms. Its design may include a box under the seat for storing kitchen utensils and other things. The advantages of such kitchen furniture are:
- in saving space despite the fact that it is more convenient to sit on this piece of furniture than on stools;
- in the opportunity to sit along the table for three people where 2 chairs fit;
- in improving the aesthetics of the situation, if the color of the upholstery of the seat and back is well chosen;
- in the practicality of using the interior space of the sofa for storing food and things.
In addition, buying a narrow sofa is an economical option. Such furniture is inexpensive, while allowing you to improve the comfort and functional use of limited kitchen space.
Sofa for the kitchen straight can be of various sizes and types. This category includes:
- narrow models installed along the wall near the dining table;
- bench sofas — they are also placed near the wall, on which a soft back-plank is fixed;
- full-fledged soft models that are placed in the middle of the kitchen-studio, delimiting the spaces for relaxation and cooking;
- constructions on legs and with a flat bottom, with and without internal drawers;
- standard non-folding models or with the function of unfolding to increase the bed.
Straight sofas are often used in the interior of kitchens for the reason that they are the best option in terms of space saving.
If you need to choose a good option for a medium-sized kitchen, it is advisable to give preference to some kind of straight sofa.
For both small and large kitchen spaces, you can find successful models of corner sofas. In kitchens with a limited size, furniture models made of laminated chipboard with leatherette upholstery on the walls and backs have become popular. This economy option is often found in standard high-rise apartments. Such a corner item becomes a spacious storage box, replacing 3–4 chairs at the same time.
If the kitchen is so large that it is possible to organize a full-fledged relaxation area using upholstered furniture, then it is advisable to purchase a large corner sofa here, which will be used daily for afternoon communication of family members. When guests come, such a comfortable corner will be a great place for gatherings. It is undesirable to install a dining table near it. A coffee table would look better here.
Folding sofa — transformer
If the kitchen space allows and there is a need to organize an extra bed in the apartment, it is advisable to choose the appropriate option for a transforming, pull-out, folding sofa. Here the most popular and popular models are the following:
- standard “book” (suitable for medium-sized kitchens and installed against one of the walls);
- folding sofa “relax” or “click-clack” (such models are in demand for living rooms and living rooms, and in kitchens, the presence of a spacious inner drawer and overall structural strength are considered their most important advantages);
- “accordion” models look compact and beautiful, but they fold forward and take up a lot of space (suitable in cases where it is necessary to organize a full-fledged double place in the kitchen);
- “French folding bed” (small sofas with beautiful backs are laid out, forming one sleeping place, and successfully fit into narrow, limited spaces along the walls);
- model “dolphin” or “kangaroo” (corner kitchen sofa, from under the long part of which an additional sunbed extends, forming a comfortable bed).
Thus, focusing on the need to create an additional place in the kitchen for sleeping or relaxing, you can choose a model that matches the size of the room.
The most economical option is a sofa bench installed along the wall. Under the seat, a storage box is most often created here. The soft back in the form of a narrow plank is stuffed on the wall. This solution allows, on the one hand, to save space, and on the other hand, to achieve an increase in seating comfort in comparison with standard stools. In front of such a bench-box is a dining table.
To create an original interior space of the kitchen, you can use non-standard furniture. For example, a built-in sofa in the kitchen can become not only a comfortable place to relax, but also a way of zoning. Such sofas are installed permanently, and their backs are small partitions that separate one interior zone from another.
Another form of unusual kitchen sofas are semicircular models. Radius sofas for the kitchen look good in rooms where there are bay windows or other curly articulations of walls, windows, partitions. Semi-circular models can also be installed in standard corners, and in the space that arises behind them, you can create a storage box or place an aesthetic floor lamp.
What materials are more practical
When choosing one or another model and design of a sofa for use in the kitchen, we must not forget that not all upholstered furniture is suitable for such a room in terms of practicality. Upholstery material plays a special role here. For kitchen sofas are best suited:
- genuine leather (durable, wear-resistant, easy-care material, which, however, is expensive);
- eco-leather or high-quality leatherette (the best option for the kitchen in terms of quality, practicality and price);
- combined cotton-polyester upholstery fabric (the most practical option from fabric materials);
- flock, chenille, jacquard (fabrics are used for upholstery of sofas because of the combination of beauty and strength, but it is quite difficult to remove stains from them, which reduces their practicality).
The material from which the frame of the sofa is created is also important. When using natural wood, preference should be given to oak and beech (expensive options), birch or pine (budget materials). If you buy a small sofa under the wall or in a corner, then the construction of laminated chipboard will be optimal in terms of price and practicality.