When questions arise, what is better to make an apron on the wall in the kitchen, you should first of all pay attention to the materials used. They differ in cost, shade, dimensions. At the same time, there are a number of other parameters, but the main ones are such characteristics as wear resistance and strength. When choosing an option, the quality of the wall surface is taken into account. The rougher it is, the better the adhesion with the adhesive will be. This is taken into account when choosing tiles, MDF plastic panels, stone (natural, artificial).
What is a kitchen apron for?
This element of the interior performs 2 main functions:
|Decorative.||Kitchen apron will decorate any room. It is made of attractive materials, which additionally allow you to hide the defects of the draft wall. Thanks to the creation of accents, the interior acquires originality, brightness, and completeness. Finishing the working area in the kitchen is carried out in different variations: pattern, photograph, drawing, relief surface of the coating. The choice is made taking into account the color scheme and style direction of the interior.|
|Protective.||To exclude the possibility of moisture affecting the draft surface of the bearing wall, near which the work area is often equipped, you can make an apron for the kitchen. In this case, materials such as concrete and brick are adversely affected by water, while ceramics, natural stone or plastic are moisture resistant. For this reason, the walls near the sink and stove are lined. In addition, the apron tolerates the effects of chemicals (detergents) well. The use of this interior element helps to increase the service life of the load-bearing wall.|
Requirements for kitchen aprons in terms of combining functionality and beauty
Choose a material that is suitable in terms of properties and appearance for the room. For example, it is inappropriate to use wallpaper for this purpose, because. they serve for a short time and poorly cope with their main task. If the question is being decided, what is the best way to make an apron in the kitchen, you should pay attention to whether the selected material meets the requirements for an interior item of this type:
- Moisture resistant. If you install an apron made of hygroscopic material on the wall, it will not last long. The appearance of finishing the working area is largely determined by such a property as moisture resistance.
- The material from which the apron is made must withstand exposure to high temperatures. This is due to the fact that the coating is located in close proximity to the stove, the source of hot water, which means it will be in contact with steam. The apron must withstand not only high temperatures, but also sudden changes in the value of this parameter, which leads to the appearance of condensate.
- Ease of maintenance. It is not necessary to use materials with a smooth surface. Limescale, grease, water drops are easily removed from them. However, this section of the wall gets dirty pretty quickly. If the question is decided which is better to make an apron, you should pay attention to materials characterized by a finely porous structure. Dirt lingers on such surfaces less intensively.
- Resistant to mechanical stress. A durable apron lasts much longer.
- Attractive design. With the help of this element of the interior, you can decorate the room, affect its visual perception.
Features and Benefits
The sizes of the apron can be different:
- a large-sized interior element occupies a section of the wall from the level of the hood to the floor;
- a standard apron is characterized by a height in the range of 55–75 cm.
The second option is more common, because. material in this case is spent more economically. If the kitchen cabinets are located at some distance from each other, it is recommended to make an apron from the hood to the floor. The choice of material is determined by the requirements for it, personal preferences and financial capabilities.
Often, ordinary ceramic tiles are used for this purpose. More expensive analogues are natural / artificial stone, mosaic, glass. Wood-based materials are used less often. Of this group, MDF is most often used. Economy class materials include plastic panels. If the user is limited in funds, or there is a desire to create an original apron, any available options should be considered, for example, a canvas from wine corks, which you can make yourself from improvised materials.
When choosing an apron for the kitchen, you should decide whether it is appropriate to finish the working area and take into account the positive qualities of this element of the interior:
- low material consumption — you do not have to close the entire wall, but only part of it;
- protection of the partition, which is more exposed to aggressive factors than other surfaces;
- improvement of interior design;
- multivariant execution;
- provided that the apron for the kitchen is correctly chosen, you can count on a long period of its operation;
- relatively simple installation;
- ease of care.
We select the color and design of the finish
There are such solutions:
- With the help of finishing the working area, they create a background for the kitchen set. Here the color of the apron should match the shade of the furniture. Often they finish the wall in light colors, and the front panels in darker ones. There is also the opposite option: the apron is a dark shade, and the headset is light.
- Focus on the apron. In this case, the finish of the working area stands out in color, contrasts with the coatings of other interior elements. The wall is decorated with a bright pattern, photograph.
- Original design. You can make an apron in the kitchen with your own hands, using improvised materials. The unusual design of the working area attracts attention, decorates the room, makes the interior unique.
If you use a neutral range (beige, white tone), such an apron is suitable for a kitchen in any style. Finishing with black material is performed if the room already has design elements in the same design. To visually enlarge the space, the design of a small kitchen and work area is done in light colors.
What are kitchen aprons?
Finishing the wall section near the stove / sink is carried out in different versions, different in design, colors and materials. The last of the parameters is the most important, because the type of coating determines the properties of the apron. Today it is possible to finish with laminate panels for the kitchen, and you can do it yourself. There are options from glass, tile, plastic, porcelain stoneware, stone, use sheets of polycarbonate, plywood. If wood-containing materials are taken, then they must be moisture resistant. The second most important parameter is mechanical strength.
Panels of this type endure the impact of water. They withstand moderate mechanical stress. However, intense pressure on plastic of small thickness is fatal — the product cracks and cannot be restored. The advantages of this material include low cost. In addition, do-it-yourself plastic kitchen apron is relatively easy to mount. It can be glued on liquid nails or other adhesive composition suitable for the type of material.
In addition, plastic panels hide surface imperfections well. They can be installed even on a curved wall. This possibility is due to the flexibility of the material. However, he is not attractive. The panels lose color in the sun, are exposed to high temperatures, so they are not recommended to be installed near the stove.
Budget from MDF
If the question is being decided how to make an apron from MDF, the positive qualities of this material should be taken into account:
- low price;
- attractive appearance;
- a wide range of options;
- simple installation;
- it is possible to replace the coverage area;
- environmental friendliness.
At the same time, MDF boards are not resistant to high temperatures. Although slightly, they are still susceptible to moisture. The service life of the material in conditions of high humidity will be short.
But in this case, there is no need to purchase special glue for installation. If the question is how to install an MDF apron in the kitchen, you should know that for this it is enough to fix the panels on the wall using self-tapping screws / dowels.
From ceramic tiles
The material is durable, non-hygroscopic, withstands ultraviolet radiation, moderate mechanical loads. Due to these properties, tiles are often used for finishing an apron. The disadvantage of this option is the need for careful alignment of the wall. When installing tiles, surface flaws will be visible.
In addition, you need to choose an adhesive mixture. If the question is how to properly lay the tiles, you should pay attention to the universal compositions. To finish the working area, you can use glue that can withstand high temperatures, because. the apron will be in close proximity to the hob.
From mosaic tiles
Such material is represented by different types, which differ in the method of installation, dimensions. There is a small tile. If you plan to make an apron for the kitchen from a mosaic with your own hands, you need to take into account that the installation process of small-sized products will take a lot of time.
An alternative option is to lay tiles in standard sizes with a mosaic finish. Such products are mounted quickly, and in appearance it is difficult to notice the difference. The material is characterized by similar properties as a tile, but requires more careful maintenance. This is due to the presence of a large number of grooves (seam joints) between the mosaic. The main advantage of the tile is the ability to perform any pattern or pattern.
From porcelain stoneware
The material is characterized by the same dimensions as the tile. Main advantages:
- increased strength;
- moisture resistance;
- easy care;
- long period of operation;
- attractive appearance, resemblance to granite.
An apron made of porcelain stoneware is attached with glue. The laying technology is practically no different from the principle of installing tiles. This material is offered at a lower cost than the natural counterpart. However, in appearance, these finishes are not much different.
Panels made of this material are called skinals. Plain or tempered glass can be used. The second option is preferable, but it costs more. Installing a glass apron made of tempered material will provide a reliable coating that is resistant to high temperatures. Panels of this type are not afraid of aggressive agents, damage.
Simple glass is cheaper, but does not last long, because. subject to mechanical stress. The main disadvantage of this type of panels is the need for frequent maintenance. Do-it-yourself glass apron for the kitchen is not easy to install, because. you need to make holes for fasteners. The pluses include an attractive appearance, which is due to the possibility of inserting a bright photograph, a picture between the glass panels.
Made of artificial stone
Porcelain stoneware is included in this group of materials. This also includes acrylic stone. The last of the options is characterized by a sufficient level of strength, moisture resistance. The material of this type is not exposed to high temperatures, ultraviolet radiation, and is characterized by a long service life. If the question is being decided how to lay out an apron made of artificial stone, you should know that with its help you can get a seamless coating. In addition, there are a large number of finishes of this type, excellent in color, texture.
From natural stone
This is the most expensive option, so it is not used as often as its counterparts. This group includes granite, marble. The properties of natural stone correspond to porcelain stoneware. Panels of this type differ in shade. Today, a wide range of products is offered in black, pink, red, yellow, blue, gray, brown and white. The disadvantages include the complexity of installation. The fastening of the apron made of natural stone is carried out using a special glue.
First of all, you need to remove the old coating. Then the surface is leveled. If necessary, the wall is re-plastered. In the case when the surface is not smooth enough, and there are obvious defects, they are eliminated by filling with putty. Then the wall is treated with a primer. At the next stage, the actions may differ, it all depends on the type of material that is used:
- a mounting grid is attached or notches are prepared on the wall, which will allow you to securely fix the tile;
- holes are made in the wall for dowels.
Installing an apron in the kitchen requires the use of a building level, with its help they check the quality of the coating. Holes for sockets in the kitchen apron are made before installing the finishing material. If it is planned to conduct lighting, wall chasing is performed at the stage of preparing the rough surface.
Interesting ideas in interior design
The most original finishes suggest the need to use inexpensive materials:
- wine corks;
- decoupage on a kitchen apron;
- an apron made from fragments of various types of tiles, plates and even cups;
- slate paint finish.
The choice of a suitable idea should be done taking into account your own capabilities and preferences. You also need to consider what materials are available.